Rear light for dense city traffic

I replaced the Busch and Muller e-bike continuous luminance tail light on our Riese and Müller Nevo bikes with the Light and Motion Tuck e-bike light. It has a bright pulse rather than a strobe and also has side amber lights. The light turns on from the Bosch display.

Which color is that? Always red?

Does anyone have a light that takes 18650 batteries? I'd think common rechargeable batteries would be best...carry a few charged batteries and simply change them out as they get dim.

Here is what I recommend for a high powered light with a rechargeable 18650 lithium-ion battery... includes the red lens.

This high powered light can be easily adapted to either a front headlamp or a rear tail light.

1566872381057.png

1566872443713.png

Here:

Here:

A bit expensive at $150 for a 160-lumen tail light... Cygolight has brighter lights for $45 on Amazon ;)

A bit expensive at $150 for a 100-lumen tail light... Cygolight has brighter lights for $25 on Amazon ;)

160 lumens

Braking sensor. 3intensity modes .

Did i mention “ brake sensor” 😉 meaning it shines a BIG bright red light whenever slowing down/braking ?

• 5 intensity levels
  • 6WH of juice

- and also light sensor intensity 3modes

The Made in China, Amazon light is for kids....

160 lumens Braking sensor. 3intensity modes .

Did i mention “ brake sensor” 😉 meaning it shines a BIG bright red light whenever slowing down/braking?
  • 5 intensity levels
  • 6WH of juice
- and also light sensor intensity 3modes

The amazon light is for kids....

What is the lumen rating of the brake sensor mode... 160?

Please post the specs. Thanks

The Cygolight is rated at 200 lumens...

Not sure, but from testing it , it’s always much brighter for that period of time when applying the brakes/stopping then whatever brightness it already has. Even when is set in level 5. So, my guess is that if it’s in level 5(160lumens) maybe it puts out 180 or higher ??

I will post a vid on how it works tmrw. It’s an amazing price of engineering. A lot of people don’t know how to set it up properly b/c it has many settings. Is like a small computer with a red light...

What is the lumen rating of the brake sensor mode... 160?

Please post the specs. Thanks

The Cygolight is rated at 200 lumens...

Yea but mine’s has an aluminum body, it’s shockproof and waterproof , IP68 not 64 like the amazon light that’s for kids😉372883728937290

Last edited:
I was extremely nervous about riding my bike in rush hour, as well as on suburban roads. It seems that a pedestrian or cyclist is getting hit by a car on a weekly basis. ...

I use the Garmin Varia radar light. It's a 2'fer with the approaching car indicator on the GPS and light itself. It commands attention without blinding people that are driving up behind you in a potential multi-thousand pound fly swatter.

I use the Garmin Varia radar light. It's a 2'fer with the approaching car indicator on the GPS and light itself. It commands attention without blinding people that are driving up behind you in a potential multi-thousand pound fly swatter.
How have you found the detection? I’m thinking of picking one up myself too.

Both Cygolite and Bontrager/Trek make nice ones that are USB-rechargable and not grossly overpriced. The Blackburn ones are very inexpensive but not very bright and have poor battery life.

For myself I am very hesitant to spend very much money on a device that is so easy to lose or destroy.

Blinkies are good for daylight conditions but can make it difficult for motorists overtaking you to estimate your distance at night, especially in very dark conditions. So that is something to keep in mind.

How have you found the detection? I’m thinking of picking one up myself too.

The radar is great. It's obviously designed for upcoming cars but will alert for bikes and even someone running up if they are gaining on you. I use two mirrors and am constantly checking them in traffic, the radar showing approaching cars on my Garmin Edge is another arrow in the quiver and helps when things are hectic.

I added the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 to the back of my helmet last week. Plus I have my ebike tail light. The Hotshot is really incredibly bright.

But still, on Sunday morning at about 11 am I was cycling along a bike path (separated from the road by a curb) when a car overtook me and cut right in front of me to get into a gas station. I hit the rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went one way and I flew over the back of her car. Ended up with a cracked rib (very painful) and a terrible gash (to the bone) on my shin. The driver claims she never saw me and that she'd been driving for over 30 years and never had an accident. SIGH

IMPOSSIBLE to not see me with those bright flashing lights! Especially when coming up from behind.

Anyway, just a warning that the brightest lights on the back is no defense against idiots who are probably texting.

I used my Varia for the first time a couple of weeks ago on the Pacific Coast Highway, along the Sonoma Coast. It was great. The highway is narrow there and cars come up regularly but widely spaced, so they keep taking you by surprise. The handlebar receiver beeps and flashes when a car approaches, indicating speed and number of cars. It prompts you to look in the rearview mirror if you aren't already.

When we turned off PCH and into the hills on a lonely country road, we weren't overtaken by another car for the next 20 miles. It is easy to relax in that space and I was especially glad I had the Varia to alert me. In the city it would probably be beeping all the time, but I'd still use one now that I've gotten a taste of it. It really works. The rear light pulsates faster as cars approach, a useful city feature. It comes in two versions. One includes a little warning-light unit that sits on your handlebars. The other connects to your existing Garmin Varia-compatible GPS unit and costs less. It's the same Varia either way. The Varia comes with seatpost mounts. If you want to use it with a saddle or trunk clip, you can visit Shapeways and order one.

I also love my Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150. That thing is bright! The mount differs between the 150 and the 200 models.
The 200 is seatpost/tube mount only. The 150 mounts onto tubes or clips into cloth straps.

I added the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 to the back of my helmet last week. Plus I have my ebike tail light. The Hotshot is really incredibly bright.

But still, on Sunday morning at about 11 am I was cycling along a bike path (separated from the road by a curb) when a car overtook me and cut right in front of me to get into a gas station. I hit the rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went one way and I flew over the back of her car. Ended up with a cracked rib (very painful) and a terrible gash (to the bone) on my shin. The driver claims she never saw me and that she'd been driving for over 30 years and never had an accident. SIGH

IMPOSSIBLE to not see me with those bright flashing lights! Especially when coming up from behind.
Anyway, just a warning that the brightest lights on the back is no defense against idiots who are probably texting.

Yes, another vote here for the Cygolite Hotshot... super bright visibility and comes with dual mounts. ;)

Last edited:
So I bought two Garmin Varias. One for my ebike, along with the tiny heads up display and one for my road bike for my Wahoo Roam. I love them!

Back