Rear light default behaviour

Doowroh

Is there anyway to get the rear light to default to flashing? Currently it always comes on as a steady light and I have to stop, get off and hit the button. And then when I next get on it I have to do the same thing. I'm aware that is according to BC legal requirements but, seriously, I might as well be invisible with such a small, steady light. In my opinion the flashing light is exponentially safer and I would like my bike to always be flashing.
I've opted to add on a small flasher on my seatpost that I can just reach down and turn on but, really Rad bikes, defaulting to flashing should be an option.

I have a 2019 Radcity Stepthru. I am in Canada, BC specifically.

I have done a fix for this on my RadCity4. It just involves some minor soldering.

Without the fix, my rear-light would always default to a sold red light each time the lights were switched off, or if the bike was turned off.
After the fix, the rear-light comes on automatically in the flashing mode (and yes, the solid-red mode still works when the brakes are applied).

Here's the fix that I did:
- remove the rear-light from the rear-carrier (2x 10mm hex-nuts, 1x power-cable connector, 1x cable-tie). Note: removing the rear-light is optional, but makes access for soldering a bit easier;
- unclip the red lens from the unit; this will expose the Printed Circuit Board (PCB);
- leave the PCB screwed in place; no need to dismantle;
- locate the flashing-button (on the underside of the light-case);
- locate where the flashing-button physically presses on to a small switch on the hidden-side of the PCB;
- locate the 2x solder-connections where the switch is soldered to the exposed side of the PCB;
- prepare a small length of a jumper-wire (about 12mm long), long enough to bridge over the 2 soldered terminals; it helps to add solder all over this jumper-wire before the next step;
- hold the jumper-wire in place over the two existing solder-connections, and heat the jumper-wire with the soldering iron. Note: don't apply too much heat, otherwise the PCB could be fried; it doesn't take much heat to fuse the jumper-wire in place.
- reassemble.
- Done!

Sounds good but read your third sentence and verify that is what you meant to type. 3rd, not 4th.

Last edited:
After the fix, the rear-light comes on automatically in the flashing mode (and yes, the solid-red mode still works when the brakes are applied).
After the fix, the fault mode was a flashing red light. Of course, the battery and lights have to be switched on for the lights to illuminate.

Back