Rear light and Front light to blinking on turbo Vado SL

GuruUno

I'd like to have the existing built-in lights blink, or not, at my choosing. (front, rear, any?)
Other than Specialized making it an option in their firmware/settings/software/app, etc., has anyone successfully got the lights to blink?
I find it to be a more visual notification while riding, and really don't want to clamp on more lights.
Anyone?

Can't be done (as far as I know!) so you don't have many options. I just took the front Lezyne headlight off completely (cable disconnects from control unit in top bar) & replaced with a tiny rechargeable unit:
1635622034528.png

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...bontrager-ion-100-r-front-bike-light/p/14243/
For me the 'day notice' flash is the most important part of of the front light! I've kept the back light as it does no harm, but supplemented with a Garmin Varia for daytime flashing.

I'd like to have the existing built-in lights blink, or not, at my choosing. (front, rear, any?)
Other than Specialized making it an option in their firmware/settings/software/app, etc., has anyone successfully got the lights to blink?
I find it to be a more visual notification while riding, and really don't want to clamp on more lights.
Anyone?
A lot of regulations require front and rear lights to be visible 100% of time at night. Pulsing between low and high is OK but not flashing with off state. Can still have flashing light as long as there is also is also 2nd steady light. These regulations make sense as bike might be missed if light is off during drivers glance in their direction, this especially so with some lights that have slow flash rate.

I think you will need to add a separate battery light or helmet light. The bike only provides the power to the light. The light itself would need to add the circuitry for flashing. I am not aware of any wired ebike lights that have a flashing mode but I did not look very hard. I assume it is due to the variation in national and local laws. In our state for example, flashing lights are illegal except on emergency vehicles. I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for it but the topic "for and against" flashing lights is as controversial as politics. I personally ride with steady lights at all times on my bikes.

I think you will need to add a separate battery light or helmet light. The bike only provides the power to the light. The light itself would need to add the circuitry for flashing. I am not aware of any wired ebike lights that have a flashing mode but I did not look very hard. I assume it is due to the variation in national and local laws. In our state for example, flashing lights are illegal except on emergency vehicles. I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for it but the topic "for and against" flashing lights is as controversial as politics. I personally ride with steady lights at all times on my bikes.
Is there a specific frequency that can trigger seizures or can any blink/flash do it?

Anyone?
I’ve got the parts to do it but I don’t have the time yet. But I am doing exactly that at some point soon. I live in Japan so my parts are different but here’s an example component on Amazon you can use:

Led Flashers

I’m going to fair mine in with silicone on the inside of the rear fender, plus probably inside shrink tube for the front leaving the control accessible.

And screw any regulations about flashing lights - if it was serious they wouldn’t be able to sell them as accessories.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, 5v or 12v (LED flashers), where would they be "put"?
RE: "A lot of regulations require front and rear lights to be visible 100% of the time at night. Pulsing between low and high is OK but not flashing with the off state. Can still have a flashing light as long as there is also a 2nd steady light. These regulations make sense as bike might be missed if the light is off during drivers glance in their direction, this especially so with some lights that have slow flash rate".
Lighthouses have their "light/beacon" rotating and not just steadily pointing out in one direction purposely so it can be seen.
That's my point.
If I can buy an aftermarket light by Trek, Specialized, any vendor, etc., and the aftermarket light is allowed to have a flashing mode, why the heck is it not an OEM choice out of the starting gate from the manufacturer of the bike?

There are only so many N+1 options they can accommodate and still meet their cost targets. Specialized is pretty good at value engineering their models. Again as far as I know you will not find a blinky wired bicycle light except maybe an off brand Alibaba light. They only do it in the battery versions to advertise the longer run times.

Hmmmmm, 5v or 12v (LED flashers), where would they be "put"?
Rear - there’s a nice hump in the center of the rear fender underside to accommodate the flasher module.
Front - thinking leaving it inline and sealing with clear tube & heat shrink.

There are only so many N+1 options they can accommodate and still meet their cost targets. Specialized is pretty good at value engineering their models. Again as far as I know you will not find a blinky wired bicycle light except maybe an off brand Alibaba light. They only do it in the battery versions to advertise the longer run times.
Flashing LED’s do greatly extend battery life, but that is not “the only reason they do it.” I read a recent study that showed a random flash pattern provides the best rider safety, followed by flashing, and finally solid lighting.

Flashing LED’s do greatly extend battery life, but that is not “the only reason they do it.” I read a recent study that showed a random flash pattern provides the best rider safety, followed by flashing, and finally solid lighting.
Whatever helps to draw driver attention is safer. Funny story conveying that point. Years ago. I friend lost one screw or another holding her rear fender on the bike. So we totally detached it and she stowed it on her rear rack - sideways. So it extended left and right. She was given so much passing distance as no car wanted to scratch up their paint job!

I've also noted that we cyclists need a sacrificial rider with an ak47. He blows away just a few drivers who do stupid things. But get out the word that more of us are armed like that. But then drivers will take the hint and reverse the process! Enough nonsense this early in the day.

Links or it didn't happen.

I run a flashing light on my Vado SL. I do it because I've seen other riders with blinking lights when I'm driving my car and they're very visible. I just figured 'you can't be too safe' but I certainly don't want to upset drivers. Most folks in the States already hate cyclists.

Here’s a study that shows a light clipped to the biker’s heel is the best, closely followed by a blinking light on the seat post, with the solid seat post light coming in a distant last place.
I remember when my 10-speed had little plastic reflectors on the front/back surfaces of the pedals (no front or back). I guess that up down light on the heel was preceded by those ancient reflectors.

That was a masters thesis that you can read without subscription at the link above. Note on the heel lights, the randonneuring (audax) groups require riders to wear reflective ankle bands and a reflective vest during hours of darkness in addition to other lighting requirements.

This one is a later study "Testing of bicycle lighting: Method development and evaluation" that includes a reference to the study above in their discussion of methodology since she used a stationary trainer. I only skimmed the study, but this quote in the summary stood out "It is likely that there is no single best light for all purposes, so specific testing could make valuable contributions for different types of cyclists and situations". It also has a extensive list of study references including the one above for rainy day reading and research.

Back