Rear Hub to Mid Drive

Tubbs

Region
USA
City
Las Vegas
Currently have a EBC Model R with 500w rear hub. Was thinking of getting a Rize RX to add to the small fleet. Anybody regret going from rear hub to a mid drive? Are they slower or more sluggish off the line? Are they more or less maintenance. Just general street riding live in Vegas and it is a valley so there are some grades and to deal with but noting extreme. I am a big guy and need a big bike 6'-2" and 300. Anything else to look at with a max of $3600 or so. I know there could be some issues with Rize in general as far as not good support. Also looking at the Soul Sonic Saber Pro but it is a rear hub as well. Are Mid drives mainly for MTB and hill climbing?

Same size you are. After several direct drive and geared hub bikes, including a 1000w geared hub I built (and love), I decided to see what the mid drives were all about. So I went with a Rize RX Pro (the Ultra powered fatty). Love the bike with it's awesome power, but in hindsight, I should have gone with the RX and it's smaller tires as I ride pretty much all pavement with just a little packed dirt, and grass off road.

I think the geared hub bikes are easier to ride. Can be ridden in brain dead mode with little experience/thought. Any guest riding with me is given the geared hub bike for that reason. The mid drive requires more discipline to ride properly (keeping it in the correct gear, coordinating power when shifting, etc.), but the upside is a really nice bike - and a bike that can climb a wall if put up to it.

So to answer the question "Are Mid drives mainly for MTB and hill climbing?", I would say oh hell no..... They're awesome for any that are addicted to power. Even if you aren't using it all the time, you know it's there, waiting to be used whenever you get the chance/feel like it.

Same size you are. After several direct drive and geared hub bikes, including a 1000w geared hub I built (and love), I decided to see what the mid drives were all about. So I went with a Rize RX Pro (the Ultra powered fatty). Love the bike with it's awesome power, but in hindsight, I should have gone with the RX and it's smaller tires as I ride pretty much all pavement with just a little packed dirt, and grass off road.

I think the geared hub bikes are easier to ride. Can be ridden in brain dead mode with little experience/thought. Any guest riding with me is given the geared hub bike for that reason. The mid drive requires more discipline to ride properly (keeping it in the correct gear, coordinating power when shifting, etc.), but the upside is a really nice bike - and a bike that can climb a wall if put up to it.

So to answer the question "Are Mid drives mainly for MTB and hill climbing?", I would say oh hell no..... They're awesome for any that are addicted to power. Even if you aren't using it all the time, you know it's there, waiting to be used whenever you get the chance/feel like it.
What he said! :-D

Back