Real World Battery Range

Here's my real world experience, it's not nearly as scientific as some of you guys.
I charge to 80% at home, do my 9 mile commute, then charge again to 80% at work for the ride home.
I'm middle aged, forty pounds overweight and pedal as hard as I can mostly in S mode, takes me about 35 minutes, so that's around 15 mph.
I usually arrive with about 46 volts left on the meter. I forgot to recharge at work once and it was definitely sluggish getting home.
In summary, the range for a fat middle aged dude who charges to 80% is around fifteen miles going balls out. Sure is fun, and I'm getting faster and lighter every day.

1524428426662.png

200 miles, 10.2 watts per mile. Mostly on Eco, and hard pedaling, 180 lbs. I use throttle at stoplights and at left turns in traffic. Bursts of 2-3 for congested streets with angry drivers. Don't throttle up hills, do boost the assist to 1 for windy conditions. I got a bar that lets me be more aero, at around the 170 mile mark (VO Postino).

The brake is your enemy :).

I do 22-24 mph on flats.

I think under perfect conditions, endless track, no wind, I'd get ~8 watts per mile, 24 mph.

200 Miles.jpg

After seeing @Asher post that last photo I thought I'd give some contrast. And boy is it contrast!

I go about 225 lbs. on the bike and I use all power modes. As I've mentioned before I deal with wind almost all the time. The park I ride in every day is right at the mouth of Tampa Bay and it's just always windy.

In general I've found that I like to ride from 20-22 MPH most of the time. I ride in 1 and Eco a lot, but also use the higher modes often. Sometimes I use Sport for the last several miles if I'm ready to get home. And sometimes I have to ride in 2 or 3 for a lot of the ride just to maintain speed against the wind.

I got lucky with this photo. I just HAPPENED to glance down and see 200.0 MI when I was doing a short test ride with my real glasses on...

Back