Reading the screen with polarized sunglasses

freetobelee

Region
USA
City
Lake Tahoe
First ride I noticed my favorite sunglasses and the polarized LCD screen on my ebike don't play nice together. I couldn't find any solutions online, but I had a small stroke of genius when I decided to try a piece of diffraction grating film that I had.

Bingo!
Diffraction grating film spreads the light back out so the LCD screen can be viewed with polarized glasses at all angles.

I cut it to fit and taped it down on the edges with packing tape to use as a screen protector.

There is a slight rainbow and 'doubling' when viewed normally, but it does not make the image illegible. The camera shows it more than with the naked eye.

Attachments

• 70EA9DCB-3372-46A6-95CF-905CB2F7126D.jpeg
    70EA9DCB-3372-46A6-95CF-905CB2F7126D.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 310
First ride I noticed my favorite sunglasses and the polarized LCD screen on my ebike don't play nice together. I couldn't find any solutions online, but I had a small stroke of genius when I decided to try a piece of diffraction grating film that I had.

Bingo!
Diffraction grating film spreads the light back out so the LCD screen can be viewed with polarized glasses at all angles.

I cut it to fit and taped it down on the edges with packing tape to use as a screen protector.

There is a slight rainbow and 'doubling' when viewed normally, but it does not make the image illegible. The camera shows it more than with the naked eye.
Has anybody found a pair of sunglasses that will enable me to read the Aventure screen? I tried non-polarized but they didn't work either.

OFFS! Polarized lenses 101. There's no solution other than non polarized lenses.

Turn your sunglasses sideways!

Attachments

• 82755621-8064-4AB1-9BEB-B8856A4F9360.jpeg
    82755621-8064-4AB1-9BEB-B8856A4F9360.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 222
I am having the exact same problem with the display on my DOST ebike. Although your display contents look a little bit different, the overall dimensions/size look the same. (DOST display is 3.75 X 2.5 inches). Can you tell me where you got the diffraction grating film that you used? (Have checked Amazon and other places with no luck). Thanks in advance for your help.

I’m a retired land surveyor and a lot of the displays we had on our equipment were the same way. It seems like if I tilted my head just right I could read it but that was a poor solution. I often wore prescription sun glasses and it seems like when I got non polarized ones it was fine. I bet the sun glasses you got that weren’t polarized really were.

No, I knew they were polarized. The irony is that the same bike I ordered two years ago, (The one I am having the issue with is a newer model for my wife that we just got). There is no problem with that display. I assume this model that the company added polarization to their display.

I just got polarized prescription sunglasses this morning. I was worried because I saw this thread after I ordered them back on 9/29, and I hadn't thought about that reading the display on my bike or reading the fish finder on my boat. I went out for a ride today, and didn't have any difficulty reading the display, but it was kind of overcast so I'm not sure if bright sunlight is going to cause an issue or not. Haven't tested my fish finder yet.

Back