Rattan XL on Indiegogo

Impressive! I figure, for me, a 30-40 mile range is more than sufficient. That more than provides the 2-2.5 hours of recreation we get. On our Ecotric's my wife and I ride in PAS one 1 or 2 and use the Shimano shifter to make the effort adjustments. I suspect most eBikes get adequate range if you ride that way, more if your lollygagging around @ 10-12mph.

My wife will be getting her new Rattan X ebike soon and "lollygagging" perfectly describes her preferred pace. For me it's go like hell (most of the time). I passed a very serious, spandex clad road biker on my way home this week and he was pissed off! I can comfortably pedal at 25mph+ through the neighborhood.

The American River Bike Trail is 5 min from me and has a 15mph speed limit. I am ever vigilant and courteous to walkers and other bikers (with great power, comes great responsibility ;-). Since the stay at home order here in CA there are many more people out in parks and walking the trails and neighborhoods. An unexpected upside to this tragic situation. I get "cool bike" shouted out to me all the time. Sometimes I stop and sell a few ... I've become an ebike evangelist

It's easy to be an enthusiastic owner, no doubt. We just got back from an hour or so of riding in the woods and some dirt roads. It's literally accessable from our drive. I can't tell you what a mood booster it is.

My wife will be getting her new Rattan X ebike soon and "lollygagging" perfectly describes her preferred pace. For me it's go like hell (most of the time). I passed a very serious, spandex clad road biker on my way home this week and he was pissed off! I can comfortably pedal at 25mph+ through the neighborhood.

The American River Bike Trail is 5 min from me and has a 15mph speed limit. I am ever vigilant and courteous to walkers and other bikers (with great power, comes great responsibility ;-). Since the stay at home order here in CA there are many more people out in parks and walking the trails and neighborhoods. An unexpected upside to this tragic situation. I get "cool bike" shouted out to me all the time. Sometimes I stop and sell a few ... I've become an ebike evangelist

Hi @RMK! How to order perks along with combo offer in IGG for Rattan XL and X. I don't see an option at check out to add perks like suspension.fenders/racks etc for both the bikes.

Hi @RMK! How to order perks along with combo offer in IGG for Rattan XL and X. I don't see an option at check out to add perks like suspension.fenders/racks etc for both the bikes.
Yeah, it's kind of a PITA. I made an order for desired perks for one bike with the first contribution for the combo bikes. I then emailed them for links to the Perks I wanted to add for the 2nd bike. Essentially you can end up with several separate contribution numbers. I have had to clarify this several times over the intervening months but they appear to have it right. We will see when they arrive.

Yeah, it's kind of a PITA. I made an order for desired perks for one bike with the first contribution for the combo bikes. I then emailed them for links to the Perks I wanted to add for the 2nd bike. Essentially you can end up with several separate contribution numbers. I have had to clarify this several times over the intervening months but they appear to have it right. We will see when they arrive.

You used [email protected]? I tried emailing this address, but got no response?

You used [email protected]? I tried emailing this address, but got no response?
That should work. Be sure to put add perks to an order in the subject line. You can also go to the Facebook Group and try emailing (messaging) Charlie Foxtrot or Erik Yam for assistance. The emails come from China so consider the time difference, language barriers and small staff.

As I said, it is a PITA but it's the price you pay for dealing with a bargain ebike purchase. You can also call the service number during PST business hours. I got an answer last time I called.

Rattan Team Service
(909) 319-0013

I am thinking of getting the rattanXL or the sondors right now. But I am not sure which one to go for as rattanXL seems to be good to be true. And plus the shipping delays. They both say that shipping resumes in June 2020. Any advice ?

I am thinking of getting the rattanXL or the sondors right now. But I am not sure which one to go for as rattanXL seems to be good to be true. And plus the shipping delays. They both say that shipping resumes in June 2020. Any advice ?
Well, Sondors has better marketing ... The production issues seem to have eased up in China and bikes are shipping. If you don't want front suspension you can get an XL with Rack for $1400 delivered this month. If you want/need front suspension and 17ah battery (extra $ 200) then you're probably looking at a June delivery for the XL if you order now. Sondors indicates the Fold XS (most comparable to the XL) will be delivered in June for just over $1,900. So they are $3-4 hundred appart and the Sondors is 8lbs heavier. I liked the motor regen feature (it really does work), slightly larger frame (I'm 6'5"), lighter weight (folding and traveling) and the high capacity battery (17ah) so the Rattan was an easy choice for me. They are very similar and you probably can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:
Well, Sondors has better marketing ... The production issues seem to have eased up in China and bikes are shipping. If you don't want front suspension you can get an XL with Rack for $1400 delivered this month. If you want/need front suspension and 17ah battery (extra $ 200) then you're probably looking at a June delivery for the XL if you order now. Sondors indicates the Fold XS (most comparable to the XL) will be delivered in June for just over $1,900. So they are $3-4 hundred appart and the Sondors is 8lbs heavier. I liked the motor regen feature (it really does work), slightly larger frame (I'm 6'5"), lighter weight (folding and traveling) and the high capacity battery (17ah) so the Rattan was an easy choice for me. They are very similar and you probably can't go wrong either way.

@rmk you say the both seem to be the same. So I shouldnt expect the mileage that Rattan XL boasts about ? And my decision would be either Sonders Fold X or Rattan XL. Since anything above that range is not affordable for me.
Also, should I get the 17ah battery? How much of a difference would it make compared to the one that it already comes with ?

@rmk you say the both seem to be the same. So I shouldnt expect the mileage that Rattan XL boasts about ? And my decision would be either Sonders Fold X or Rattan XL. Since anything above that range is not affordable for me.
Also, should I get the 17ah battery? How much of a difference would it make compared to the one that it already comes with ?

I currently have an ebike with the same Reibok regenerative motor technology (Eahora X7 plus) and regen can give you more mileage per charge. Rattan's claims are optimistic, but I get another minimum 10 miles more with regen out of every charge. I can see 60-75 miles per charge in pedal assist mode with the XL and the 17ah battery. I would get the largest battery available because for me, range is important the regen feature increases range. My guess is the Sondors would max out at 30-40 miles. The Sondors Fold X is not comparable to the XL. Cheaper components and less power/range. The Sondors XS is more comparable but misses the mark for me as described above.

Last edited:
I currently have an ebike with the same Reibok regenerative motor technology (Eahora X7 plus) and regen can give you more mileage per charge. Rattan's claims are optimistic, but I get another minimum 10 miles more with regen out of every charge. I can see 60-75 miles per charge in pedal assist mode with the XL and the 17ah battery. I would get the largest battery available because for me, range is important the regen feature increases range. My guess is the Sondors would max out at 30-40 miles. The Sondors Fold X is not comparable to the XL. Cheaper components and less power/range. The Sondors XS is more comparable but misses the mark for me as described above.

Thank you @RMK!, you definitely helped with making my decision. I will be going with Rattan XL. Truly appreciate it. I've been researching online a lot with regards to the comparison between the two and havent found anything solid. You are great. Thanks mate!!

Thank you @RMK!, you definitely helped with making my decision. I will be going with Rattan XL. Truly appreciate it. I've been researching online a lot with regards to the comparison between the two and havent found anything solid. You are great. Thanks mate!!
No worries MJ. are you going to order this California instock bike? What color?

No worries MJ. are you going to order this California instock bike? What color?
I dont get what you mean by california in stock bike. It just redirected me to the indiegogo page. And I would be going for jet black. And another thing is that, what about maintainance? Wouldnt it be easier to get a sondors if needed something repaired. And I read previously that you ordered the RattanXL for yourself. Have you recieved it yet ?

I dont get what you mean by california in stock bike. It just redirected me to the indiegogo page. And I would be going for jet black. And another thing is that, what about maintainance? Wouldnt it be easier to get a sondors if needed something repaired. And I read previously that you ordered the RattanXL for yourself. Have you recieved it yet ?

The "California" Indiegogo bikes will be at the California Rattan CA warehouse soon. There were 100 units with no front suspension but including the rear rack, tail light and fenders for $1199 USD plus shipping ($200). My bikes are already shipped in another batch and will arrive in LA by the end of May. The Covid19 crisis has delayed all bike manufacturing/shipping including Sondors.

As for maintenance, any bike shop can maintain the ebikes except for the Controller and Motor. Rattan has a 2 year warranty and will ship you any parts that fail. Sondors may have a facility in the US for repairs but unless you happen to live close by, shipping the bike there would be cost prohibitive.

Really with all these Chinese made ebikes you are pretty much on your own in terms of maintenance. The only exception is a major bike brand product purchased for a local bike shop at a higher price. Rad Ebikes are probably the best option if you want good warranty and service options but again, proximity to a service location is critical. These are just my opinions, not necessarily facts. Go with what you are comfortable with ... :)

The "California" Indiegogo bikes will be at the California Rattan CA warehouse soon. There were 100 units with no front suspension but including the rear rack, tail light and fenders for $1199 USD plus shipping ($200). My bikes are already shipped in another batch and will arrive in LA by the end of May. The Covid19 crisis has delayed all bike manufacturing/shipping including Sondors.

As for maintenance, any bike shop can maintain the ebikes except for the Controller and Motor. Rattan has a 2 year warranty and will ship you any parts that fail. Sondors may have a facility in the US for repairs but unless you happen to live close by, shipping the bike there would be cost prohibitive.

Really with all these Chinese made ebikes you are pretty much on your own in terms of maintenance. The only exception is a major bike brand product purchased for a local bike shop at a higher price. Rad Ebikes are probably the best option if you want good warranty and service options but again, proximity to a service location is critical. These are just my opinions, not necessarily facts. Go with what you are comfortable with ... :)

Got it. When I do go and select the california bikes, it doesnt let me upgrade to a better battery which kind of sucks. I dont care much about the rear light and fenders but the general 750 W one which is for $1102 does let me upgrade the battery and turns out to be $1400 with shipping ( but I guess it will take a longer time to reach me maybe ??).

And even though it shows about $1400 with shipping, How much did it cost you including the exchange rate, from USD to HKD online purchase from your bank?

Got it. When I do go and select the california bikes, it doesnt let me upgrade to a better battery which kind of sucks. I dont care much about the rear light and fenders but the general 750 W one which is for $1102 does let me upgrade the battery and turns out to be $1400 with shipping ( but I guess it will take a longer time to reach me maybe ??).

And even though it shows about $1400 with shipping, How much did it cost you including the exchange rate, from USD to HKD online purchase from your bank?

Yes, if you order one with just the battery upgrade then you will most likely be a June delivery. As you check out on Indiegogo you will be shown prices in USD as well as HKD. Honestly, the California model is a good solution for a May delivery and I'm told the 17.5ah battery will be available as a plug and play upgrade from Rattan in a couple of months. The 17.5 will buy you a few more miles but again, it can be added later. The batteries will eventually die and so if you ride a lot like I do, replacement in a couple of years is likely. My current bike has a 10ah battery and I get good range with it (35 miles average, same regen motor) so the 14.5 should get another 10-15 miles per charge average. The Rattan Facebook Users page is a good place to hear other opinions and get more info re Rattan. I suggest you check that out.

Yes, if you order one with just the battery upgrade then you will most likely be a June delivery. As you check out on Indiegogo you will be shown prices in USD as well as HKD. Honestly, the California model is a good solution for a May delivery and I'm told the 17.5ah battery will be available as a plug and play upgrade from Rattan in a couple of months. The 17.5 will buy you a few more miles but again, it can be added later. The batteries will eventually die and so if you ride a lot like I do, replacement in a couple of years is likely. My current bike has a 10ah battery and I get good range with it (35 miles average, same regen motor) so the 14.5 should get another 10-15 miles per charge average. The Rattan Facebook Users page is a good place to hear other opinions and get more info re Rattan. I suggest you check that out.

Alright, that makes sense. I wouldn't be riding more than 15 miles a day. So I guess the battery it comes with should be good for now. And what I was trying to ask regarding the exchange rate was that, even though you paid the rate showed on Indiegogo, did you get charged anything extra from your bank or did your bank charge you exactly what you saw on indiegogo ?

Alright, that makes sense. I wouldn't be riding more than 15 miles a day. So I guess the battery it comes with should be good for now. And what I was trying to ask regarding the exchange rate was that, even though you paid the rate showed on Indiegogo, did you get charged anything extra from your bank or did your bank charge you exactly what you saw on indiegogo ?

The Indiegogo total was what I was charged at the time of purchase e.g. no additional hidden fees or charges. It is pretty certain that these prices will be going up once the Indiegogo campaign ends. These ebikes are priced several hundred less than comparably equipped bikes.

What I like about Rattan is that the owners and designers are Chinese (Erik Yam is the Chief Engineer and is very visible and approachable on Facebook). Many others are US based owners who simply private label bikes built in one of many of China's ebike factories. Virtually all of of the ebike components are sourced from China so buying direct from a chinese source eliminates a couple of layers of cost. The shipping ($200 per bike) is a little steep but considering it includes freight, customs and then FedEx to your doorstep is actually a fair price. IMHO, these bikes with the level of components and performance would sell for at least $3K from a US bike shop.

The Indiegogo total was what I was charged at the time of purchase e.g. no additional hidden fees or charges. It is pretty certain that these prices will be going up once the Indiegogo campaign ends. These ebikes are priced several hundred less than comparably equipped bikes.

What I like about Rattan is that the owners and designers are Chinese (Erik Yam is the Chief Engineer and is very visible and approachable on Facebook). Many others are US based owners who simply private label bikes built in one of many of China's ebike factories. Virtually all of of the ebike components are sourced from China so buying direct from a chinese source eliminates a couple of layers of cost. The shipping ($200 per bike) is a little steep but considering it includes freight, customs and then FedEx to your doorstep is actually a fair price. IMHO, these bikes with the level of components and performance would sell for at least $3K from a US bike shop.
BTW, you might find you are riding more than 15 miles. I generally ride 20-30 miles and do so in less than 2 Hours. Thanks to the Pandemic, I've put over 800 miles on my ebike in the past couple of months. It is a lot of fun to ride! Can't wait to get the new XL with even more power and range. ;-)

Back