Ramp to roll bike into car suggestions?

shezoom

Anybody have a home made or other easy ramp to roll the bike into the back of my car? I have a mini clubman 2012

I suggest looking for a cheap fold-up doggie ramp on Amazon. Its nice because you can take it with you and unload the bike easily. Home made ones are usually rigid and yes you can load the bike...but once you leave your home, then what? Having a portable ramp makes the most sense.

I made this one from a piece of 3" Schedule 40 PVC pipe which I split in half lengthwise. I nested the two halves and bolted them together for strength. This one is 5' long to get my bike onto a pickup bed rack but you can make it any length you wish. A hinge could be added to allow the ramp to fold if necessary.

P1070256a.jpg P1070258a.jpg P1070259a.jpg

I cut a 3" PVC tee in half and bolted it to one end to keep the ramp from twisting. I added 4 lag bolts to the tee ends to keep the ramp from sliding on smooth ground.

P1070260a.jpg P1070261a.jpg Pic 7.jpg

The total cost was $14 including the bolts.

I made this one from a piece of 3" Schedule 40 PVC pipe which I split in half lengthwise. I nested the two halves and bolted them together for strength. This one is 5' long to get my bike onto a pickup bed rack but you can make it any length you wish. A hinge could be added to allow the ramp to fold if necessary.

View attachment 63441 View attachment 63442 View attachment 63443

I cut a 3" PVC tee in half and bolted it to one end to keep the ramp from twisting. I added 4 lag bolts to the tee ends to keep the ramp from sliding on smooth ground.

View attachment 63444 View attachment 63445 View attachment 63446

That is a great ramp you designed. Thanks for the idea.

View attachment 63441 View attachment 63442 View attachment 63443

View attachment 63444 View attachment 63445 View attachment 63446

Genius. I think it might work to help get the bike into a vertical bike stand. What kind of stays are we seeing there, that hold the bike once it's onto the platform?

Genius. I think it might work to help get the bike into a vertical bike stand. What kind of stays are we seeing there, that hold the bike once it's onto the platform?

I use a pair of Thule Sidearm roof racks to hold the bikes in place on the PVC pipe "bed". Almost any type of roof rack will work, even for bikes with fenders.
thule-sidearm-universal-mount-bike-rack-black.jpg Pic 7a.jpg

In my case, the ramp attaches to a piece of 4" PVC pipe which is part of the rack. I used a bolt on the ramp which fits into a hole in the rack. I cut a small piece of pipe which is used as a "collar" to make it easy to line up the bolt & hole. The ramp lines up with the tray on the Thule rack and the bikes roll easily into place.

P1070258b.jpg

PVC pipe is very useful for a great variety of projects. It can be cut, shaped, glued & bolted into almost any imaginable configuration.

I use a pair of Thule Sidearm roof racks to hold the bikes in place on the PVC pipe "bed". Almost any type of roof rack will work, even for bikes with fenders.
View attachment 63454 View attachment 63455

In my case, the ramp attaches to a piece of 4" PVC pipe which is part of the rack. I used a bolt on the ramp which fits into a hole in the rack. I cut a small piece of pipe which is used as a "collar" to make it easy to line up the bolt & hole. The ramp lines up with the tray on the Thule rack and the bikes roll easily into place.

View attachment 63453

PVC pipe is very useful for a great variety of projects. It can be cut, shaped, glued & bolted into almost any imaginable configuration.
Have you tried PVC bending using hot sand poured inside?

Back