Raleigh Tokul IE Kickstand and Water Bottle solutions

mmoncur

All,

I noticed the new review of the Tokul IE has been posted. I have the same 2018 edition bike and I put about 150 miles on it so far. As the review mentions, there does not seem to be any way to mount a kickstand, but after trying about five different ideas, I found one that works perfectly.

This kickstand was $15 at Dick's Sporting Goods but I know Amazon sells some $10 ones that look identical. It has a hinged mount that is meant to clamp onto both the chainstay and the seatstay, but wouldn't work that way because the tubes on this bike are so thick and far apart. However, it will clamp onto the chainstay and the other piece reaches neatly over to the rack mounting boss, where you can screw it in tightly instead of clamping. I left the chainstay clamp loose until I lined up the screw, which also holds my rack, and screwed it in. After that the clamp on the bottom tube makes it very stable.

As you can see it doesn't interfere with the disk brakes. The kickstand holds the bike perfectly, stays out of the way when folded up, and doesn't interfere with the pedals. Perfect!

This is the Large-size Tokul IE, but I'm pretty sure this would adjust to fit the same way on any frame size, and probably on some other bikes that left off the kickstand mount.

IMG_3804.jpgIMG_3805.jpgIMG_3809.jpg

Bonus: A set of Topeak "versa mounts" ($10 on Amazon) works to mount a water bottle, and if you stick to shorter bottles it fits perfectly between the battery and frame.

IMG_3806.jpg

All,

I noticed the new review of the Tokul IE has been posted. I have the same 2018 edition bike and I put about 150 miles on it so far. As the review mentions, there does not seem to be any way to mount a kickstand, but after trying about five different ideas, I found one that works perfectly.

This kickstand was $15 at Dick's Sporting Goods but I know Amazon sells some $10 ones that look identical. It has a hinged mount that is meant to clamp onto both the chainstay and the seatstay, but wouldn't work that way because the tubes on this bike are so thick and far apart. However, it will clamp onto the chainstay and the other piece reaches neatly over to the rack mounting boss, where you can screw it in tightly instead of clamping. I left the chainstay clamp loose until I lined up the screw, which also holds my rack, and screwed it in. After that the clamp on the bottom tube makes it very stable.

As you can see it doesn't interfere with the disk brakes. The kickstand holds the bike perfectly, stays out of the way when folded up, and doesn't interfere with the pedals. Perfect!

This is the Large-size Tokul IE, but I'm pretty sure this would adjust to fit the same way on any frame size, and probably on some other bikes that left off the kickstand mount.

View attachment 36086View attachment 36087View attachment 36088

Bonus: A set of Topeak "versa mounts" ($10 on Amazon) works to mount a water bottle, and if you stick to shorter bottles it fits perfectly between the battery and frame.

View attachment 36085
I have been thinking about a kickstand for my Lore, and it looks as if this solution might work also. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure this would work on a Lore -- until the newest model with the more integrated battery, they had what looks like the same frame as the Tokul. Good luck!

Mmoncur, thanks for the informative post. I too have a Tokul IE, and used your suggestion for a kickstand. Thanks, works awesome.

I tried your solution for a water bottle cage but found that my inexpensive mount would slip on the tapered tube. It works just fine on the top tube though.

What kind of rear rack did you find to fit the factory supplied mounts?

Thanks again

Terrific bike, great on easier mtn bike trails here in North Idaho

Attachments

• 20190807_080922.jpg
    20190807_080922.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 593
Nice to hear from a fellow Tokul owner! It seems like there aren't many of us. I'm glad the kickstand worked!

It's definitely a great bike, I go 25 MPH (downhill) on the street and it feels smooth, and also works great on the easy trails here in southern Utah.

My rack is a Topeak Super Tourist DX. I pulled it off my old bike but they still make it. I think mine's just the normal version, not the "disc brake ready" version. Works perfectly, I have a rack bag that snaps on and off.

I did have to use a longer screw to mount both the rack and the kickstand on one side.

Great information. I've just ordered my Tokul IE - waiting on it to be shipped. Will be adding the kickstand and a rear rack.

Thanks for sharing

Back