Raleigh motus

bryan Chittil

Region
United Kingdom
Hi having bought a Raleigh Motus Kompact 2019 model, I contacted Raleigh for a spare part , mudguard stay support ? Only to be informed they no longer market this model and have no spares for mudguards ? So why buy British, a bike costing over £2,000 and within 3 years no support ! Should have bought Chinese model for a third of the price and expected no support .
I certainly expected better !

Can you not adapt a similar stay support from a local bike shop or on-line bike parts supplier? There are equal and even better fenders, mudguards and repair parts already on the market.

Hi yes I can use an alternative , but my point is Raleigh no longer offering support , which was the first thing they said as the model has been dropped from their range . I did not expect this from a renown bike manufacturer/ supplier , so if a more serious part is required where to go . Had I have known this before purchase I would have bought cheaper alternative. I understand in the motor trade a car manufacturer has to offer parts for at least 7 years? It seems that is different in the bicycle world .
I appreciate your help for an alternative and agree possibly better mudguard support.

Hi yes I can use an alternative , but my point is Raleigh no longer offering support , which was the first thing they said as the model has been dropped from their range . I did not expect this from a renown bike manufacturer/ supplier , so if a more serious part is required where to go . Had I have known this before purchase I would have bought cheaper alternative. I understand in the motor trade a car manufacturer has to offer parts for at least 7 years? It seems that is different in the bicycle world .
I appreciate your help for an alternative and agree possibly better mudguard support.
It's the way of all bike manufacturers, not just Raleigh. 2 years after buying my Fatboy, I contacted Specialized asking for some frame decals as I was doing a paint job on the front fork. They were of no help to me. Even people with the high end bikes like R&M may find small parts hard to find and they do, like the little bolts that hold on their Fabric water bottles.

Getting a cheaper alternative bike is another can of issues that you would immediately regret. You have a decent mid-high end bike and it's just a matter of speccing out replacement parts, no matter what the accessory or component is, and up-grading through the aftermarket.

That same lack of aftermarket support pretty much goes for any component or device or appliance we use in this throw-away life we find ourselves in today. Good luck and let me know what you turn up with, including some pictures!

PS: The bike manufacturers may not support us after the sale is made, but you will find a community no better than this one with dozens of good people who are there to provide input and help.

Hi thanks for your feedback, I agree with throw away world we live in , will certainly source anything else I need hopefully from internet and this forum. Prefer the old world of the parts person in 3/4 length brown cotton coat with rubber buttons who would disappear and appear a few minutes later with what you wanted ! And definitely didn’t want a survey carried out as to how well he or she had done !

Do you honestly know they don't have other parts? I wouldn't imagine they ever stocked mudguard stay supports do to incredibly low requests. Everyone likes to trash companies for the smallest thing, and you did that well. But to try and bash the entire product line or company over that simple part is very extreme. 2019 model year bikes could have been made in 2018, and they are likely building 2023 bikes now. So maybe like a 5 year old part.

When I spoke to support on the phone the first words spoken were that this bike is no longer in their range before seeing what was required . You might be correct about when bike was made but as a consumer and purchasing the bike new , you are not told when bike was made . It might only be a small part ,but these are generally what is needed as a lot of items on the bike have their own manufacturer and are available from them direct , which would not leave a lot spares to be stocked . I do believe I paid top price for a quality item to last a good few years but feel let down on my first problem , yes I can fit a alternative part which would do the job, but that is not my point , I expected better !

I'm sure they can find a similar part in some of their warehouses if they want to. Perhaps customer focus is not necessary for this company...

Exactly , good after sales support gives more returning customer , not that the people in after after sales were unhelpful , they had little to help with .

Chinese model
You did buy a Chinese bike. Next, you bought a used bike. And third, it's not a part that can't be replaced by substitution
I did not expect this from a renown bike manufacturer/ supplier
Seriously? Do we think Raleigh is the same company as our father's Raleigh's?

Raleigh Canada had a factory in Waterloo, Quebec from 1972 to 2013.[29] Derby Cycle acquired Diamondback Bicycles in 1999.[30] In the same year, Raleigh ceased volume production of frames in the UK and its frame-making equipment were sold by auction.[31]

In 2000, Derby Cycle controlled Raleigh USA, Raleigh UK, Raleigh Canada, and Raleigh Ireland. In the latter three markets, Raleigh was the number-one manufacturer of bicycles.[30] Derby Cycle began a series of divestitures, because of financial pressure and sold Sturmey-Archer's factory site to the University of Nottingham and Sturmey-Archer and saddle manufacturer Brooks to a small company called Lenark. Lenark promised to build a new factory in Calverton but failed to pay the first instalment and the company entered liquidation. It was reported that the reason for selling the business, after extracting the cash for the factory site, was to have Lenark declare it insolvent so that neither Derby nor Lenark would have to pay the redundancy costs. Sturmey-Archer's assets were acquired by SunRace of Taiwan who relocated the factory to Taiwan and sales to the Netherlands. Sister company Brooks was sold to Selle Royal of Italy.

In 2001, following continuing financial problems at Derby Cycle, there was a management buy-out of all the remaining Raleigh companies led by Alan Finden-Crofts.[32]

By 2003, assembly of bicycles had ended in the UK with 280 assembly and factory staff made redundant, and bicycles were to come "from Vietnam and other centres of 'low-cost, high-quality' production."[31] with final assembly taking place in Cloppenburg, Germany.

In 2012, Derby agreed to be acquired by Pon Holdings, a Dutch company, as part of their new bicycle group.[33] and buyout terms were agreed in 2012.[34]

In April 2012, Raleigh UK, Canada and USA were acquired by a separate Dutch group Accell for £62m (US$100m), whose portfolio included the Lapierre and Ghost bicycle brands.
[35]

Hi thanks for company information , I did not expect a British manufactured and built product and understand the bike is. Manufactured elsewhere , yes even China , but China can produce excellent quality goods as long as quality control is in place , which I understand large brands keep a close eye on ! It would be difficult to find anything that China has not made some part for ! I learnt this lesson a few years ago when ordering engine valves from a supplier in USA as they had the required quality etc etc when there was a delay I rang the company to be told the shipment from their Chinese manufacturer was on its way, So not made in the USA as thought , the valves were excellent though!
Unless we point out problems nothing will change !

Back