Raise Handlebars on NCM Moscow Plus

zumafan

I want to raise the handlebars on my Moscow+ to save my back. There's nothing in the manual about this, does anyone have any words of wisdom or instructions to share?

I only ask because when I tried to take off the handlebars on my son's Norco (to travel) I couldn't get it back together again and had to take it to a bike shop lol.

Also can anyone recommend a good stem that will fit, or tips on what to look for? Should I just take it to a bike shop? Not a bike expert.

Thanks.

The EBR review of the 2019 model lists this as the stock stem:

Promax, Alloy, 90mm Length, 31.8mm Clamp Diameter, One 15mm Spacer, Two 10mm Spacers, One 5mm Spacer

Is the reach ok? In other words, are you just trying to go up or do you want to bring the handlebar in closer to you at the same time?

I think that listing is messed up. It reads like a combo listing where you choose which size, but there is no drop down so who knows which size you would actually get. OP needs a 31.8(handlebar)*28.6(steerer tube)*??length stem from what I can see.

There's any number of cheap adjustable stems on Amazon to choose from, most of them appear to be clones with different branding.

Conventional advice around here seems to be the cheap stems have too much play and aren't reliable. Personsly, I look at it like a $20 investment to figure out what stem I really need since I don't have decades of experience swapping stems and I don't need a drawer full of failed experiments.

I put one on last week, wrist pain disappeared almost immediately, but it only took about 35 miles before I felt some play in it.

You can also get new bars with more rise I did this with my Moscow Plus. 2.5 in rise and a little wider much more comfortable and a bit more room for accessories.

The EBR review of the 2019 model lists this as the stock stem:

Promax, Alloy, 90mm Length, 31.8mm Clamp Diameter, One 15mm Spacer, Two 10mm Spacers, One 5mm Spacer

Is the reach ok? In other words, are you just trying to go up or do you want to bring the handlebar in closer to you at the same time?

The reach seems ok. I wouldn't complain if it was a bit closer, it's mainly the height.

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't this exactly what I have on the stock bike? I'm looking to raise it up. I think what I need is a stem raiser?
Yours goes out either flat or at a very shallow angle from the pictures. The stem Timpo linked rises at 45 degrees, so you would gain roughly an inch in height and the handlebar would come in a bit.

If you want to keep your existing stem or need several inches of rise then you could get something like this:

Yours goes out either flat or at a very shallow angle from the pictures. The stem Timpo linked rises at 45 degrees, so you would gain roughly an inch in height and the handlebar would come in a bit.

If you want to keep your existing stem or need several inches of rise then you could get something like this:

I see, thanks for the explanation. I think I want it to rise at least 3-4 inches so I'll go with the riser.

Sounds good.

Don't forget to check the slack in your cables; you may be limited in how high you can go depending on how much slack NCM left in all the cabling going to the handlebar.

Sounds good.

Don't forget to check the slack in your cables; you may be limited in how high you can go depending on how much slack NCM left in all the cabling going to the handlebar.

Yes I did check that, thanks. It looks like I can move things around enough to raise it as much as I want.

I got one of these from Amazon for $17. Simple to install (about 15 minute) with a 5mm hex key. Comes with spacers so you can adjust the height.
Weanas Bike Stem Riser, MTB Handlebar Riser Extender Bicycle Alloy Head up Adapter for Mountain Bike, Road Bike, MTB, BMX (1-1/8" Riser)

Hi,
I have read where one person had the Decooler riser split in half! I know, it was only one person, but still alarming. I would like to raise my Moscow Plus handlebar about 3 to 4 inches. I am 6’3 and recently experienced considerable back pain (as well as some hand and wrists pain) after a 35 km (about 22 miles) ride.
My handlebar Is about a few inches above my seat position. Perhaps raising the handlebar an extra 3 to 4 inches would result in much less back pain. It was about 2 days before my lower back pain subsided.
At a local bike shop today, I was shown ne adjustable riser and one non-adjustable. Price was about $60.00 for the adjustable one. Buying online would be cheaper but I want to ensure I am buyIng quality components. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, especially regarding names of quality ones.
Thank you!

I want to raise the handlebars on my Moscow+ to save my back. There's nothing in the manual about this, does anyone have any words of wisdom or instructions to share?

I only ask because when I tried to take off the handlebars on my son's Norco (to travel) I couldn't get it back together again and had to take it to a bike shop lol.

Also can anyone recommend a good stem that will fit, or tips on what to look for? Should I just take it to a bike shop? Not a bike expert.

Thanks.
I put 5¨ riser bars without changing the stem or needing longer cables, but I did need to move the throttle to the left side to get it to reach.
That was okay cuz I´m used to a left hand thumb throttle. You really can´t get much more rise than that without longer cables & sheaths.
That was on a regular moscow. I don´t know about how well it would work with hydraulics. I basically have the same issue as Silvercat. couldn´t
find 5¨ riser bars in a 31mm, but an adapter wasn´t much on ebay & works just fine.

Last edited:
I have a 100mm adapter that is pointed straight up (so using it as a straight riser at maximum height). It just fits including the wires and cables. The 110mm should be fine especially if you are not going straight up and down.

Reactions: ovt
Hello everyone. I found this stem on aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897377444.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.226c3c00xXFf8l&mp=1
I have the bike with the 27.5inch wheels. I measure 1.78cm and after a longer trip I have hands pain with the stock stem. f i buy the 31.8x110mm adjustable stem will be fine for me?
There are also riser bars available online, 3¨, 5¨, 8¨, 10¨, but they are mostly new old stock that
require 31.8 adapter, not expensive. I´ve added a light bar to my 5¨cut from 3/4¨ tubing for display
& other dash board stuff, also hang my bar bag on it. The higher risers, 5,8,10, may be too much
for the stock cable & sheaths to reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: ovt
Back