Radwagon bent fork during shipping.

skypup

I was disappointed yesterday to discover that my front fork was bent during shipping and I was unable to install the front wheel. I was excited the bike arrived on Friday instead of Monday and was looking forward to having it built over the weekend. On Friday I discovered that the stem had a hole not tapped properly and was unable to install the handle bars. Rad Power is sending a new stem. I have written about the bent fork but have not had a response due to it being the weekend. My question is with the cables routed the way they are I am not sure how I would remove then to install a new fork? The cable from the left grip passes through a metal tube (stay) that is welded to the frame. I don't see a way to pull the cable through the tube if it was disconnected and I would be concerned about messing up any adjustment if I were to take it apart, The cable was routed incorrectly also and would not run in a straight line but had been routed under the frame. I am sure radpower will take care of things but I have a medical procedure on Wednesday and am traveling for a week next week. I have a friend and his son purchasing these bikes after hearing about mine and they call me daily to see how the build is going. I broke the bad news to my friend yesterday and he was disappointed to hear about the issues. The good news is my battery is fully charged! The damage occurred during shipping. I had read of someone else having this shipping issue also but figured it probably wouldn't happen to mine. The bike passed through 9 cities enroute to me which may account for the damage. The shipping package is not very substantial and they really need to think about changing this in the future. The bike looks terrific and I am excited about getting it on the road.

This will help you with the basics for a threadless headset https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
There are also many you-tube videos that may be helpful.

I'm in the transportation business, and very familiar with the limitations of bicycle shipping containers. Basically it's a calculated risk because packaging and cartons are surprisingly expensive. Replacing damaged items on 2% of units shipped is typically more economical than using more expensive packaging on 100% of units shipped, especially since the loss is shared between the shipper and carrier.

It stinks when you're one of those 2%, but in a competitive market cost is an important consideration.

I had an issue with a damaged Rover a few weeks ago. While disappointed, it was gratifying that Rad Power steeped right up and corrected the situation 110%. I'm sure they will do the same for you. You might have to take it to a qualified bike shop once they send parts? Dunno.

The problem is I have a medical situation and absolutely no way to transport the bike. I was thinking of a trailer hitch and roll on small motorcycle carrier but don't want to invest in that if I will only be riding around the neighborhood. Guess I will see what they propose. Did you need a trip to the bike shop? I stopped at a bike shop before buying my bike and they haven't gotten into electrics due to their limited knowledge base with electrics

@skypup, Proper packaging is less expensive than repeated reports of bikes damaged in transit.

There are 3 locations of Bike World in San Antonio and at least one works on electric bikes. Call them; this is more of a standard bike issue, not an electric bike problem; however, some shops are finicky that way. I'm in the Austin/Manor area and have networked with them to repair some BionX based ebikes that they sold in the past.

As an update Rad Power is sending a new fork with 2 day delivery. They offered to pay a bike shop if necessary but I am going to try myself first. I bought from them because I read about their great customer service and I think they have proven that to me today.

I put a suspension fork on my wagon, you don't have to disconnect everything. Just take the top cap off, take the stem and bars off and flip the handlebars over onto the seat or off to the side. Then you can tap the front fork out and replace.

Did rad tell you if the new fork will have a crown race already installed?

They didn't mention the crown race. I was thinking that the center bolt under the cap and 2 side bolts loosened would be all that is required. Didn't think you needed to remove the handle bars?

This is what they sent me

Tony Thomas (Rad Power Bikes)

Mar 6, 9:12 AM PST

Hello Bob,

Here is all of the information on replacing the fork. Please let me know if you need assistance with anything else!

To replace the fork, first remove the disk brake caliper and the front light, as these will need to be moved over to the new fork.

Remove the rubber cover in the top cap, and loosen the bolt that goes into the steerer tube. Next, loosen the clamp bolts on the side of the stem (these just need to be loose, they don't need to come out). At this point, the fork should slide down, and come out the bottom of the head tube of the bike. With all of the dust caps still in place on the bike, install the new fork. Put the spacers back on then install the handlebars. Install the wheel, and tighten the steerer tube bolt on top. This bolt should be tight, but just loose enough so the handle bars turn when you lean the bike over.

Once that is complete, line up the wheel with the handlebars and start to tighten the two bolts for the clamp part of the stem. These bolts should be torqued to 11-12 Nm. Now install the rest of the components. If you have any questions feel free to give us a call or send me an email.
Regards,

Tony Thomas
Tech Support
Rad Power Bikes

Sounds like the new fork has a crown race installed on it- that's not in those directions at least.

You don't have to remove the handlebars from the stem, but you will remove the stem and handlebars (and spacers) from the fork.

Ok thanks. They mentioned on Monday they would ship the new fork with 2 day shipping. It didn't arrive yesterday . I haven't received an email with a tracking number so I am hoping I get them today. I am out of town next week and am hoping I will be ready to run before I leave. It's an ornament in my living room at this point an tomorrow will be a week since it was delivered.

I was disappointed yesterday to discover that my front fork was bent during shipping and I was unable to install the front wheel. I was excited the bike arrived on Friday instead of Monday and was looking forward to having it built over the weekend. On Friday I discovered that the stem had a hole not tapped properly and was unable to install the handle bars. Rad Power is sending a new stem. I have written about the bent fork but have not had a response due to it being the weekend. My question is with the cables routed the way they are I am not sure how I would remove then to install a new fork? The cable from the left grip passes through a metal tube (stay) that is welded to the frame. I don't see a way to pull the cable through the tube if it was disconnected and I would be concerned about messing up any adjustment if I were to take it apart, The cable was routed incorrectly also and would not run in a straight line but had been routed under the frame. I am sure radpower will take care of things but I have a medical procedure on Wednesday and am traveling for a week next week. I have a friend and his son purchasing these bikes after hearing about mine and they call me daily to see how the build is going. I broke the bad news to my friend yesterday and he was disappointed to hear about the issues. The good news is my battery is fully charged! The damage occurred during shipping. I had read of someone else having this shipping issue also but figured it probably wouldn't happen to mine. The bike passed through 9 cities enroute to me which may account for the damage. The shipping package is not very substantial and they really need to think about changing this in the future. The bike looks terrific and I am excited about getting it on the road.
hi how did you make out with the problems? did they ever pay for your troubles? thanks scott

Back