RadRunner Plus Noise

dpan

Region
Europe
Hi Guys. I just got my RadRunner Plus few days back, around Jan 7th, 2021, and ran into problems right away. I have done a lot of research on ebikes, and decided to go with RadRunner Plus because is a low bike, and I can add a child seat at the back. However, right after I received the bike, PAS was working intermittently, and after the first day ceased to work.

After I spent 1800 euros on this bike, it just turned into furniture in a matter of seconds. I reached out to RadPower tech support in Netherlands, and although they are nice, they gave me a to do list to check the cables, and now the PAS is working. But I am not sure for how long.

Currently, the bike makes a coffee grinding noise. I remember that in the first day was more like an e-scooter, a humming sound. Then, after few minutes I heard a snap at the back wheel, and then it makes this sound. You can hear the noise in the video attached. Is actually louder than it comes through the video.

RadRunner tech support is not returning my emails, and if I call them they are saying they are looking into the problem.

The question is: Do you have a RadRunner Plus? Do you have the same noise coming from the back wheel?

Thank you!

Last edited:
It sounds like there might be a misunderstanding involved here. When that bike is received, it's assumed that the new owner will either service the bike completely themselves, or have it serviced for them. There is no assurance your 1800 euros is paying for a fully serviced, 100% functional, ready to ride bike, anywhere. ALL consumer direct bicycles are this way. This servicing includes inspections and/or adjustments to the shifting mechanism as required.

My guess is a "coffee grinder" type noise coming from the bike would be due to a maladjusted rear derailleur. That noise is very likely due to it's kind of hanging between 2 gears at the same time. On a NEW bike, this could be due to shipping damage (bent part) or maladjustment (more likely).

This in mind, how is it shifting? Is it quick and clean, or dragging and noisy?

There are hundreds of "how do I adjust my derailleur" videos and "how to" articles if you need a hand.

It sounds like there might be a misunderstanding involved here. When that bike is received, it's assumed that the new owner will either service the bike completely themselves, or have it serviced for them. There is no assurance your 1800 euros is paying for a fully serviced, 100% functional, ready to ride bike, anywhere. ALL consumer direct bicycles are this way. This servicing includes inspections and/or adjustments to the shifting mechanism as required.

My guess is a "coffee grinder" type noise coming from the bike would be due to a maladjusted rear derailleur. That noise is very likely due to it's kind of hanging between 2 gears at the same time. On a NEW bike, this could be due to shipping damage (bent part) or maladjustment (more likely).

This in mind, how is it shifting? Is it quick and clean, or dragging and noisy?

There are hundreds of "how do I adjust my derailleur" videos and "how to" articles if you need a hand.
Shifting is fine. No issues with the derailleur. The noise comes from the electric motor, which is a manufacturing defect. Still investigating thou...

Akicks: Thanks for your feedback

Ok, maybe some other ideas....
Can you isolate when it's making noise? Like only when pedaled, only when throttle is applied, etc. Can you make it stop making the noise somehow, or is this a full time noise?

What about loaded vs. unloaded? If you spin it up when pulled over on to the kickstand is a good way to check the "unloaded".

Is there any chance this noise might be loose spoke(s)? Does it make the noise all the time? Maybe in time with the wheel or the pedals turning?

noise is only when throttled or under PAS. see video attached...

the cranking and grinding is far louder then it comes across in the video.

Back