Radrunner gear shift

Ccount

Has anyone contemplated adding a shimano 7 speed gear shift ability to the Radrunner? I received a 7 gear cassette with my new Bafang 750 motor, so all I think I should need is a handlebar mount shifter and cable, and a derailleur. I am contemplating installing the cassette on the motor, and trying to manually "shift gears" by placing the chain on different gears. Any help, suggestions or insight is appreciated!

I say go for it. Fingers crossed it all works out for you!

Does the new motor with the freewheel attached fit between the rear dropouts on your Runner, in other words, does it have the same Over-Locknut-Distance (OLD)?

It looks to me like the Runner chain tensioner does not use a conventional derailleur mount, so adding one would be problematic.

See my related post here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/gear-upgrade-for-radrunner.33173/post-318164.

I think or maybe should say have experienced what EBJ mentions about the fit between the rear dropouts or Over-Locknut-Distance (OLD). If you have a different experience with up fitting the 750w bafang motor into your single speed rad runner frame please post. Maybe there is a better way, swap axels? It was quite a task to fit the new motor into the frame by reducing the 750w bafang axel shaft shoulder not to mention the removal of the gear. The correct way to r & r the gear is to have a special removal tool and not use a punch and hammer like me. Believe it or not, but the gear was not marked up or damaged. The steel is quite hard. If there is interest I can create a new thread and try and narrate and post photos about the "fun" of up fitting a true 750w bafang motor into a rad runner (single speed).

I had little problem removing the gear on my motor. However, I bought 2 socket wrenches from Amazon, which did not fit, went to 3 local bike shops, with no luck, but then had great success using a large pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to twist the gear/nut off. Unlike others, I had very little trouble remounting my new true 750w Bafang motor to the bile. My issue was with g\ear and chain alignment. Ultimately, I mounted the 7 gear cassette which came with my motor, and allowed the chain to rest on the gear it "liked" the best, ie the one which lined up best with the chain and front gear.

See my related post here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/gear-upgrade-for-radrunner.33173/post-318164.

I think or maybe should say have experienced what EBJ mentions about the fit between the rear dropouts or Over-Locknut-Distance (OLD). If you have a different experience with up fitting the 750w bafang motor into your single speed rad runner frame please post. Maybe there is a better way, swap axels? It was quite a task to fit the new motor into the frame by reducing the 750w bafang axel shaft shoulder not to mention the removal of the gear. The correct way to r & r the gear is to have a special removal tool and not use a punch and hammer like me. Believe it or not, but the gear was not marked up or damaged. The steel is quite hard. If there is interest I can create a new thread and try and narrate and post photos about the "fun" of up fitting a true 750w bafang motor into a rad runner (single speed).

Last edited:
Back