RadRover with no motor power and won't push backwards

cottersay

Region
USA
My 2018 RadRover Electric Fat Bike turns on (display and light), but the motor supplies no power to the wheel either in pedal assist or through the throttle (the battery is fine). Rad LCD display indicates zero watts are being used by motor. Further, when I try pushing the Rad backward, it's like the rear hub is locked. When pushed forward or backwards, there are no grinding noises. But I can pedal the bike (forward), but only through my own leg power.
Any thoughts on the problem? Thank you!

Sounds like a wiring problem, if the field wires are crossed you are going to get an awful lot of counter emf, surprised something hasn't crisped by now.

I'm a little confused here. First you say it's locked when trying to move backward, then you say there are no grinding noises when pushed forward/backwards?

"when I try pushing the Rad backward, it's like the rear hub is locked. When pushed forward or backwards, there are no grinding noises."

There's a clutch internal to the motor that's designed to release the motor to allow the bike to coast more freely. It SOUNDS like that's OK as you say you are able to pedal the bike. That clutch is why.

My WAG with what you've told us, is that there's an issue with the motor itself. I would want to see if there was power going to it first, but then it sounds like the motor needs to be removed and pulled down to see what's going on. Thankfully, that's a Bafang motor and parts/replacement motors are not expensive and easy to come by.

Back