Radrover VS Volt Yukon 750

Radrover VS Volt Yukon 750

• Total voters

Cole

I have been researching affordable e-bikes (specifically mountain bikes) lately and have a very low budget of under $1600. I have narrowed down my search to the Radrover and the Volt Yukon 750. I’ve heard that Radrovers have more upgrade options and come with some better components stock. But I just love the look of the Volt Yukon 750 and it’s intergrated battery. I would I have also considered building my own but would like to spare the hassle (I’m not good with electronics) and just buy a budget company made bike. I plan to commute on my future ebike and do some cross country mtb trails. Any help is greatly appreciated :) ! I am open to Suggestions for other bikes I just want quality and mtb capability.

I've looked at both for my first ebike (waiting on Santa now), and if I had to pull the trigger on one today it would be the Yukon 750 Limited (includes rack and fenders). For one, I prefer the Yukon's aesthetics over the Rad Rover when it comes to the controller and battery setup. A fat tire bike commands enough attention with its tires alone, and the Rad Rover's battery back just screams, "I'm electric!" Not a bad thing if trail riding, but not something you necessarily want when commuting in a community with restrictive ebike laws.

As I've been following one of the Yukon 750 threads, I've seen Voltbike respond to riders' input by making improvements to the bike. I haven't read any of the Rad forums so I would recommend checking to see if they are as responsive. Price-wise, both bikes are comparable, but when I posed the question about shipping to Honolulu (both companies ship from the West Coast) Rad Bikes wanted $400 while Voltbike only charged $120. My shipping question and any others I had were responded to within one business day by both companies.

DIY-ing an electric bike is definitely out of my comfort zone, but there are quite a few riders here that could speak to that option. I think the best perk with doing a DIY bike is you get to choose which components to use instead of settling for a vendor's package. Best of luck on your endeavor!

i think you will be fine with either bike

i think both of these companies have a good bike at a good price and good customer service

I agree with Vincent about the Rad and Volt eMTB being so similar and interchangeable depending on how you will ride them. Whichever eMTB you pick, you will always have praise, want to upgrade certain parts, or have minor gripes with them.

I haven't looked at the specs of the +2017 Volt; but, the 2016 Rad -vs- 2016 Volt had minor differences that checked a few more of my boxes towards the Rad:

- Rad uses standard ebike and bike parts. I can purchase replacement parts from Rad or on-line when the warranty runs out or just move e-components to another fat tire bike to convert into an ebike
- Rad battery plug-n-play upgrade with higher volts and/or amp hrs from Luna Cycles (48v/13.5ah, 52v/ 11.5ah, 52v/13.5ah)
- I can convert into mid-drive or just remove all e-components to turn into a regular looking fat tire bike
- Rad had 180mm front and back rotors
- Rad had 3 bottle cage connections
- Rad had ego hand grips
- Looked like the Rad had narrower handlebars for a more upright and comfy riding position for +20 miles.
- Rad had more upright riding position to lessen the effects of numb hands and lower back stress
- full 750w throttle power available in any PAS level, even PAS 0
- Rad didn't seem to reduce the power output as the battery was depleted like the Volt. I could ride at the selected PAS level at full watts longer
- Can quickly enter diagnostic screen to adjust motor cutoff speed anywhere from 7-25 mph. Might come in handy if you travel and there are local ebike speed restriction
- Rad had lock outs switch on the forks (I think the 2017 Volt has this now?)
- Rad had a lower seat height for my 4'11" wife. I had to get a 400mm seatpost to fit my 6'3" height to be a touch more comfy.

I love riding my Rad on single track trails near the heavily wooded area of the Rio Grande river in my home town. There are a lot of dips, short inclines, twist and turns, narrow trails, low branches, rocky areas , and sand traps. Having the full 750w throttle REALLY comes in handy when you need a quick boost of power or trying to get over/around/through obstacles when PAS isn't enough (sometimes the pedal could hit in those situations). There are a few spots I had to squat on my downtube and duck my head to handlebar levels to avoid low vegetation on narrow trails because of summer over growth. I wouldn't of made it to the other side without using the throttle.

If you're considering the Volt Yukon I'd also recommend looking at Biktrix, I think you will get more power and battery options for comparable cost. Biktrix also wins in communications and service.

Let me throw 2 more e bikes in the mix. My wife has a Rad. I bought a Teo Fat Bike. Canada. I can say the Teo has much better brakes, hydralic. Cable routing is much cleaner. 9 speeds not 7. A 17 amp,hr battery vs the 12 Rad has. On my thing Teo missed was the display of watts used while riding.
20170707_160958-1632x1224.jpg

I have the large frame Teo'
When I bought this I was also looking at M2s bikes. The frames are basically the same! Just speed differently.
The Rad, Volt, Teo and M2s all use Mozo front forks. Entry level forks
I would also say check out Luna Cycle and see what they have! It might be a little higher $$ but very good quality parts. They are fond of the mid drive units.as well
I did use Affirm to purchase both bikes. Made up the difference $$ in what I had and needed!
20171111_103811.jpg

i agree the teo and biktrix have nice bikes too

hydraulic brakes would be nice

you have a lot of good bikes to choose from with companies that stand behind their product

I have been researching affordable e-bikes (specifically mountain bikes) lately and have a very low budget of under $1600. I have narrowed down my search to the Radrover and the Volt Yukon 750. I’ve heard that Radrovers have more upgrade options and come with some better components stock. But I just love the look of the Volt Yukon 750 and it’s intergrated battery. I would I have also considered building my own but would like to spare the hassle (I’m not good with electronics) and just buy a budget company made bike. I plan to commute on my future ebike and do some cross country mtb trails. Any help is greatly appreciated :) ! I am open to Suggestions for other bikes I just want quality and mtb capability.
I'm curious to know which bike did you end up going with and how do you like it thus far?

Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited is the BEST value bike and has great after sales support.. Yes they get busy because they are moving a lot of inventory and supporting more customers now, however you do get a reply and helpful advice and very decent pre and after sales service..
My son has a Yukon 750 Limited and the decent quality of components , the fact that shipping in general is quick and very very competitively priced as well as the bike comes virtually 95% Assembled ! My son who weighs in around 165lbs used his bike as a daily commuter to work and back home , a round trip of approx 40-45Km per day and last year racked up over 1,000km .. we are looking at doing more this year and I am looking at finally placing an order for the 2018 updated Yukon 750 Limited very soon.. its an amazing bike ..

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/radrover-vs-volt-yukon-750.15567/

Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited is the BEST value bike and has great after sales support.. Yes they get busy because they are moving a lot of inventory and supporting more customers now, however you do get a reply and helpful advice and very decent pre and after sales service..
My son has a Yukon 750 Limited and the decent quality of components , the fact that shipping in general is quick and very very competitively priced as well as the bike comes virtually 95% Assembled ! My son who weighs in around 165lbs used his bike as a daily commuter to work and back home , a round trip of approx 40-45Km per day and last year racked up over 1,000km .. we are looking at doing more this year and I am looking at finally placing an order for the 2018 updated Yukon 750 Limited very soon.. its an amazing bike ..

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/radrover-vs-volt-yukon-750.15567/
@Gizmodude would you mind sharing what your son's commute is like: asphalt, trails, etc. If the commute is on asphalt, how do the OEM Kenda tires perform? I'm also curious to know how you feel it does climbing hills if you've had a chance to test it. This bike was on my short list when I began my search, then it got scratched off, and now it's back on.

Last edited:
What I do like about the Volt is the hydro brakes racks, fenders, lights and partially integrated battery but higher aH than the Rad - all which is better than what the Radrover offers.

I don't like word "Voltbike" plastered all over the bike. The Kenda's are junk, 1st thing to switch out. They have high rolling resistance, heavy, loud and not very puncture resistance.

As Dan said above, the Rad, Volt, M2S, Biktrix etc are all essentially the same ebike with minor differences. I would also consider them to be entry level ebikes with entry level components.

The Juiced Rip Current is in the same category as above however does not have the 20mph limiter which to me is a deal killer for most of the mentioned above.

You could also get a Sondors X which is $1439 shipped with the upgraded forks and 7-Speeds but you also get a 17.5aH 48v battery which is pretty good. The motor is only 500w but add the aftermarket 25amp controller for $50 and get 1200w peak power and no speed limiter which is better than all the mentioned bikes above.

Last edited:
Biktrix seems to be much more expensive at CA$2700 no racks, fenders, etc, for the mid motor eMoose 1. Looks like a super bike though. Much more like a standard fat-bike.

...Roger

Back