Radrover vs Sondors

Nachoman

I recall there were some folks on this forum who ordered both. Anyone receive both of them yet and have a chance to compare?

Given the different price points it would be interesting to have an objective comparison, to see how significant the ~400 dollar difference is in the overall feel of each bike.

I recall there were some folks on this forum who ordered both. Anyone receive both of them yet and have a chance to compare?

Given the different price points it would be interesting to have an objective comparison, to see how significant the ~400 dollar difference is in the overall feel of each bike.
Should be in the "Compare" forum, so owners of either brand would feel welcome to comment.

https://electricbikereview.com/compare/

I haven't received my RR yet, but my son bought a used Sondors bike, and I had the chance to ride it recently. I was not impressed with how difficult it was to pedal without the motor on, and only one gear. We were at a house which is on a hill, and he had me try it without power first for comparisson. Then I tried it with the motor on, using the thumb throttle, and I was favorably impressed, even though it only has a 350W motor. This is what got me interested in EBikes, and is what led me to the Radrover. IMHO the Sondors is the bottom line entry level Fat EBike, assuming he can deliver them for the advertized price. The RR has sooo much more to offer, there really is no comparison. With the RR you get 7 speeds, throttle and variable pedal assist, a 500W motor (750 W peak), aluminum frame, 48 Volt 11.6 Ah battery, a removeable/lockable battery (which can be charged on or off the bike), a headlight, and a full function digital display! Not to mention a responsible company to deal with, who backs up their bike with a one year warranty. No comparison really... :)

Mark -

Last edited:
Radrover will be around $1700 delivered, and Sondors $700 delivered. Upgrade it with an LCD display and larger battery and you're still under $1000. 4 levels of pedal assist. With the Sondors you may want to have an LBS go thru it and check all the bearings, etc.. Don't know about Radrovers out of the box.

Then it comes down to style and your style.. Sondors is a much more attractive package, if you like that sort of look.. With 9000 units sold you're part of a clan!

If you're the type of person who likes to tinker and upgrade your bikes, the Sondors has a very active aftermarket, with multiple third party vendors.

For instance instead of upgrading your battery, you can buy the bike and then buy a huge 50v, 1kW battery aftermarket specifically designed for the Sondors, for $600. Increases voltage and power by 20% and is 3x the energy of the orginal battery, all without changing the look. There are many buyers for the old battery, since there are so many out there. So your net cost will be $400. Throw in an LCD and youre in for $1200 with a 1kW battery.

However, if both bikes look the same to you, and you just want to ride the bike and not upgrade the components, the Radrover will do just fine.

Radrover will be around $1700 delivered, and Sondors $700 delivered. Upgrade it with an LCD display and larger battery and you're still under $1000. 4 levels of pedal assist. With the Sondors you may want to have an LBS go thru it and check all the bearings, etc.. Don't know about Radrovers out of the box.

Then it comes down to style and your style.. Sondors is a much more attractive package, if you like that sort of look.. With 9000 units sold you're part of a clan!

If you're the type of person who likes to tinker and upgrade your bikes, the Sondors has a very active aftermarket, with multiple third party vendors.

For instance instead of upgrading your battery, you can buy the bike and then buy a huge 50v, 1kW battery aftermarket specifically designed for the Sondors, for $600. Increases voltage and power by 20% and is 3x the energy of the orginal battery, all without changing the look. There are many buyers for the old battery, since there are so many out there. So your net cost will be $400. Throw in an LCD and youre in for $1200 with a 1kW battery.

However, if both bikes look the same to you, and you just want to ride the bike and not upgrade the components, the Radrover will do just fine.

Hi Joe,
Sounds like some interesting options... I'm very new to EBikes, so there are many things I don't understand yet. The thing that I found most uncomfortable about riding the Sonders bike is that it had only one gear. Would you have to replace the whole hub motor to get one with a gear set like the Radrover? Or can you add a 7 gear cassette and derailleur to the Sonders motor? How much would it cost to add that?

None of this is complicated. The different levels of pedal assist will give you more motor boost and make the bike easier to pedal. I've seen people add a 3 speed freewheel. Not sure 7 speed is easily done. If you live in a hilly area and require multiple speeds I'd pass on the Sondors.

The other litmus test is personal. Do u currently ride any bikes, and do u like modifying them and making it your own? If your answer is no to either question, Sondors is probably not for you. Head to a dealer that can take care of your bike. Cause these crowd funded ebikes need more attention, and you'll be stuck trying to find someone to fix it for you.

None of this is complicated. The different levels of pedal assist will give you more motor boost and make the bike easier to pedal. I've seen people add a 3 speed freewheel. Not sure 7 speed is easily done. If you live in a hilly area and require multiple speeds I'd pass on the Sondors.

The other litmus test is personal. Do u currently ride any bikes, and do u like modifying them and making it your own? If your answer is no to either question, Sondors is probably not for you. Head to a dealer that can take care of your bike. Cause these crowd funded ebikes need more attention, and you'll be stuck trying to find someone to fix it for you.

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the reply. I'm just thinking if I get out 10 miles somewhere and the battery dies, I'd be hard pressed to get home pedling my Son's Sonders one speed bike back up the hills it took to get to where I am.. Maybe you can pack another battery so you don't get stranded... :)

Mark, I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the RR and the price difference is well worth it IMO.

The Sondors is good for those that know nothing about ebikes or want to change it a lot in order to make it useable beyond a short trip on the flat kind of bike. Or those that really do only want a short trip bike that's only useful on the flat.

Beyond a certain point, cheap really does only buy cheap crap regardless of middlemen or the lack thereof.

All just my opinion of course. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 3000 owners on Sondors owners Facebook with a lot of experience with eBikes and are enjoying their rides in every state. Impressed with their knowledge and support for each other.

Seems like there are not enough people in the Sondors team, evidence from lack of customer service.

I didn't see any Radrover and Sondors comparison on that link, can you please share the link to find this comparison?

J.R was saying that this thread belongs there.
The thread has now been moved to the Compare forum.
Interesting thread @Nachoman I am also interested in hearing from people who have received both!

Back