Radrover menu wheel size 26" or 28"?

mrgold35

I always left my two 16 Radrovers wheel sizes at 26" since purchase (+4500 miles between them). The mph always seemed to be off a little bit compared to the radar speed limit signs you see around neighborhood by 1/2 - 1 mph high for the Rad. Just purchased a Radcity Step-Thru for the wife and noticed her mph is pretty much dead-on with the radar sign speed limits. Also noticed her Radcity LCD trip computer reading didn't come out to the same mileage as mine 1/2 way through our 18 mile loop.

Bumped my wheel size up to 28" for the last +9 miles of our return trip home and our ebike mph, roadside radar signage, and trip computer seemed to match up almost exact.

Wondering if all Radrovers with 26X4 wheel should be set to 28"?

I suspect you should select the setting on your bike's computer that is closest to the overall diameter of the tire+wheel combination. Keep in mind what the computer is doing to determine distance is counting revolutions and multiplying by the circumference of the tire (which is directly related to the diameter of the tire according to C = PI * d). So, no doubt 28" is more accurate than 26", because you are not rolling on the rims of your wheels! But there it may be there's an even closer setting. With fat tires you may want to devise some way to measure the diameter taking into account the amount of tire "squish" you get when riding at your usual pressure.

Last edited:
I think will adjust both of my Radrovers to the 28" wheel size since that seems to match up with external sources I see when riding. I have Vee8 120tpi 26X4 tires on my Radrovers with PSI set between 21-23. Comes out to 88" circumference as the outside diameter making contact with the ground (with my weight on it). I only figured this out because the LCD mph/trip meter stopped working a few weeks ago on the other Radrover (lights, watts, 20 mph motor cut off, and PAS level work fine). I added an external odometer and needed to figure out the wheel size in mm. The external odometer is spot on with other external mph sources also.

Tire pressure will alter your reads as well. I pumped the Supercells to 27psi (7 over) for auto steering issue and the gps to lcd mileage was off. I measured the inflated tired to 28.5" so, further adjusted the lcd to 29 and I'm much closer to accurate... I'm currently riding at 20psi with the dial set to 27.5 and it's close enough. The ballooning is real... inflate tire and measure, adjust setting.. it's the best I could do.

Tire dimensions are for external height 26x4 until it balloons.

Last edited:
I think will adjust both of my Radrovers to the 28" wheel size since that seems to match up with external sources I see when riding. I have Vee8 120tpi 26X4 tires on my Radrovers with PSI set between 21-23. Comes out to 88" circumference as the outside diameter making contact with the ground (with my weight on it). I only figured this out because the LCD mph/trip meter stopped working a few weeks ago on the other Radrover (lights, watts, 20 mph motor cut off, and PAS level work fine). I added an external odometer and needed to figure out the wheel size in mm. The external odometer is spot on with other external

3.14x radius = circumference, distance ÷ circumference = RPDistance (miles/km), lcd reads RPD and projects speed

Why do have limiter set to 20mph? Lol i had to ask sorry.

You possibly had a dirty sensor or it moved somehow washing or riding...?

The motor cut-off is actually set to 36 km/h (22.3 mph) on my LCD screen for both rovers. I've gone as fast as 25-27 mph on downhill runs on my work commute. PAS 3 at 18-22 mph in 7 gear work good for me on my work commutes. I'm only about 10-15 mph going up the same hills on my return trip home.

I concur with everyone here that the 26" setting on the 2018 Rover is not accurate at all, with the Rover inflated to 22 psi and 55 for the Step-Thru. After 40 miles, the Step-Thru shows 40 miles on the Odo vs 33 miles on the Rover. I left my motor cut-off limit at the default 32 km/h (a bit less than 20 mph), since the Rover is just too heavy for me to risk running people over on the beach walk.

To get into the services menus:

1) Hold the MODE button for 2 seconds to turn on the display
2) Hold both the UP and DOWN buttons to get into the service menu.
3) Push the MODE button to move between the 3 service menus.
4) Hold the MODE button for 2 seconds to save your new settings and return to the main display screen.

Recently got a 2018 RadRover.
I've not been into bikes since my early teens and I'm finding that there's a lot to learn especially with ebikes.

I find it strange that the stock 26’’ x 4’’ Kenda Juggernaut Fat Bike Tires are actually over 28" in diameter.
Any idea what the bike tire sizing convention is based on?

It's interesting that real world feedback here shows the RadRover electronics do not give accurate speed or distance readings when set to the stamped tire specs on the sidewall.
Surprising that setting wheel size to 26" will give such a reduced mileage and I assume a slower reported speed?
I wonder why Radcity Step-Thru is more accurate?...looks like fat bike inaccurate tire specs are the root cause....

My SWAG is the Kenda 26X4 can be have a PSI range of 8-20 depending on terrain. Maybe Rad was leaning towards the lower rim size since 20 PSI is the max and maybe 15-17 PSI being the average? I can see the Kenda tires compressing around 1 inch or more at those lower PSI levels depending on weight of the rider to be closer to the 26 rim size.

I just did a ~2 mile ride on a route I measured with my car years ago and found I get a more accurate reading setting the wheel size to 28 inches.

26 inches = 1.7 miles
28 inches = 1.9 miles

Back