Radrover fenders

Has anyone bought the fenders from Rad that they started selling a couple of months ago for the Radrover? The front one seems so small that it's hard to believe that it would do any good.

Has anyone bought the fenders from Rad that they started selling a couple of months ago for the Radrover? The front one seems so small that it's hard to believe that it would do any good.
I did buy the fenders and they are too small, as is, for very good effect. I went to Tap Plastics and bought some material and modified mine to extend the fenders and they work great. I found that it was better to attach the rear fender to the rack using zip ties rather than rely on the clamp.

I ended up buying a set of Axiom Fat Bike fenders on EBay. Paid only $27 for both including shipping so if they don't work out I wouldn't be too mad.

I also bought the RadRover fenders and I'm pretty disappointed in them. They are both IMO way to small, and do very little to stop spray from reaching your face and backside. The front only mounts at one point and shares the same bolt as the front light, so it rattles around a lot, but overall is "good enough". The rear is really not great as it mounts to the seat post and is make out of a very soft and flexible material. I also have the rear rack and it rattles against it over every bump. I would have paid more for a better product. I would not recommend them.

Buy Axiom fat tire fenders. My set of front and rear was less than $50. They look kinda weird, but kinda cool at the same time, and work well to protect you.

@walawn I received my Axiom fenders today. The front one has 3 small punch out holes right where it attaches to the clip bracket. I don't get why these are there or what they do. Did you punch yours out? Thanks, Mike

@Mike in Spokane The front one will attach to your lower frame tube. You essentially end up with a fender that doesn't move when you turn the stem right to left, but protects you pretty well as you go in a straight line. There should be some elastic rubber straps and a bracket which allows you to attach it to the lower frame rail.

@walawn It looks like you misunderstood my question. Hopefully the photo will help. I understand how they work and I didn't have any problem mounting them. The instructions show 3 small holes punched out of the front fender. (arrows) As you can see in the photo of my actual fender, I haven't punched them out because I don't see why I would or what they would be for.
arrow.jpg

Hey everyone... new member here. I just ordered a RadRover yesterday and wanted fenders, but the ones on their web site definitely didn't look suitable, so I ordered these instead. They have both front and rear (the rear one looks a lot like the one Rad offers). This Big Buck Fat fender claims it will mount to most suspension type bikes.... I'll let you know as soon as I get mine.
Cheers!
Steve

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160906-104650.png
    Screenshot_20160906-104650.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 616
I also have the newer Rad fenders. As evan002 said the rear fender mounts to the seat posts and does tend to bounce enough to rattle off my rear rack. also mine doesnt seem to clamp the post tight enough. Size wize I find them fine though I don't ride in the rain by choice. The front connects where the headlight is and mi e is very tight and doesn't move at all. I did have to bend the metal angle that is rivited to the fender a little to get the fender to fit equal spaced from the tire.

Attachments

• 49232.jpeg
    49232.jpeg
    957.6 KB · Views: 2,874
Installed the new Rad fenders and am quite happy with them. Their site should update the image which gives a proper impression of them (like in hfk2's image above). The front fender attaches well and appears to offer good protection from water, mud, rocks... When it ever rains here in N Cal I'll see how dry I stay. I am thinking of how to modify the rear fender so that it attaches to the rack and does not bounce against it. At this time I'd definitely recommend these fenders for the radrover.

I did buy the fenders and they are too small, as is, for very good effect. I went to Tap Plastics and bought some material and modified mine to extend the fenders and they work great. I found that it was better to attach the rear fender to the rack using zip ties rather than rely on the clamp.

That's exactly what I did with my new radrover I got on the 21st of Sept. It worked well. The fenders you get are longer than the fenders in the photo on the Radrover website.

radroverfender.jpg
Here is a photo of how I mounted my rear fender to the Radrover rear rack. I removed the arm that is used to hold the fender to the seat stem. I also loosened the bolts on the rear rack including the adjustment bolts shown in the photo and pulled the rack forward as much as I could, this raised the rack a bit and gave me clearance for the fender. On each side of the hole that was used to secure the fender mount arm there are smaller holes. I simply took a couple of tie wraps and went through the holes and around the adjustment bracket on the rack. This worked very well and pulled the fender up tight to the rack near the rear as well so there is no bounce.
Radroverfendermount.jpg

Last edited:
I see this is a useful way to attach rear fender with rad rack! Glad to hear it doesn't bounce. Looks like it is just attached up front with the straps. I'll give this a try myself, thanks.

I ordered from eBay, $25, Planet Bike big Buck Fat Front Fender:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I also order and installed from Amazon, $17, the Zefal DT Armor MTB Frame Guard in black. I just wanted some protection for the wires hanging under the front crank from debris and water. Since the battery is in the way to use the supplied straps, I just drilled two holes in the plastic frame guard (used my bottle cage as a guide) and screwed it into the already existing down tube bottle case holes:

I ordered from eBay, $25, Planet Bike big Buck Fat Front Fender:

I also order and installed from Amazon, $17, the Zefal DT Armor MTB Frame Guard in black. I just wanted some protection for the wires hanging under the front crank from debris and water. Since the battery is in the way to use the supplied straps, I just drilled two holes in the plastic frame guard (used my bottle cage as a guide) and screwed it into the already existing down tube bottle case holes:
Those have a nice look and seem like they'll keep bike and rider dry in downpours. I'd be interested to hear how well that head tube attachment works.

Back