RadRover bottom Bracket creaking

RadroverBob

I have had a creak in my RadRover for awhile now, thought it was the right pedal at first but I replaced the pedal and it was still there. I wanted to understand the bottom bracket on the RadRover a little more so I got the tools and pulled it apart today. It came apart quite easily and has a threaded in square Tapered bottom bracket. There are two pressed on sealed roller bearings on the shaft with a aluminum sleeve between them. Bearings felt good but did find something that could be causing my creak, the thin aluminum sleeve (between the 2 bearings) had a crack down it and when I squeeze it, it did make a creaking click noise. I did put some crazy glue on the crack and where the bearing meets the sleeve in hopes that it would quit flexing and cure my creak. If that doesn't work I may have to dremmel the crack and drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading, the JB Weld it.

Image 1 nondrive side threaded cup
Image 2 bottom bracket with drive side threaded cup and bearing pressed on the shaft with sleeve and nondriver side bearing
Image 3 end of tapered shaft with view of sealed bearing #163110 2RS
Image 4 crack in the sleeve

There is following info stamped on sleeve

IP
BC 63
BC 1.37 x 24T
150.5 mm
L<----------->R

Hope this will help anyone interested in what RadRover bottom Bracket setup looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 522
Update...almost a week and no creak in the bottom bracket.
Your bike uses a sealed/cartridge bottom bracket. The crack you sealed is a failure of this assembly. Glad the creak stopped, but the bottom bracket is not happy. The sleeve should not have cracked. Time to shop for a replacement before you're on foot. The info stamped on the sleeve should lead you to the correct replacement, esp if you can find the manufactuer's name.

BTW - Sealed/cartridge bottom brackets are not generally too expensive, once you have the tools to get them out. Looks like you're all set in that regard. There's lots more info HERE.

Last edited:
I have found a replacement, but the thin aluminum sleeve is just a spacer between the bearings and serves no other function. The bearings are smooth and still sealed.
Thanks

It's just me and my opinion, but if I took the time to tear it all apart I wouldn't put it back together with broken parts even with JB Weld.
Especially with a part that probably isn't expensive.

Maybe this is a better place to ask this question as I didn't get the needed info from another post. My Rad Rover manual said to grease the bottom bracket between 750-1250 miles. I just watched a video on how to remove it and re-install it but the guy said nothing about greasing it.

Maybe this is a better place to ask this question as I didn't get the needed info from another post. My Rad Rover manual said to grease the bottom bracket between 750-1250 miles. I just watched a video on how to remove it and re-install it but the guy said nothing about greasing it.
I just responded to your earlier post. I trust this addresses your question?

Bearings themself are sealed. Moisture can get in to the tube running down to bottom bracket through the cable hole. I put a bit of silicone there to prevent moisture going down there.

I have had a creak in my RadRover for awhile now, thought it was the right pedal at first but I replaced the pedal and it was still there. I wanted to understand the bottom bracket on the RadRover a little more so I got the tools and pulled it apart today. It came apart quite easily and has a threaded in square Tapered bottom bracket. There are two pressed on sealed roller bearings on the shaft with a aluminum sleeve between them. Bearings felt good but did find something that could be causing my creak, the thin aluminum sleeve (between the 2 bearings) had a crack down it and when I squeeze it, it did make a creaking click noise. I did put some crazy glue on the crack and where the bearing meets the sleeve in hopes that it would quit flexing and cure my creak. If that doesn't work I may have to dremmel the crack and drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading, the JB Weld it.

Image 1 nondrive side threaded cup
Image 2 bottom bracket with drive side threaded cup and bearing pressed on the shaft with sleeve and nondriver side bearing
Image 3 end of tapered shaft with view of sealed bearing #163110 2RS
Image 4 crack in the sleeve

There is following info stamped on sleeve

IP
BC 63
BC 1.37 x 24T
150.5 mm
L<----------->R

Hope this will help anyone interested in what RadRover bottom Bracket setup looks like.

Welcome to EBR and glad to hear your BB is once again quiet.

If all else fails there is always JB weld to the rescue! ;)

Could you tell me if this is basically what I need to remove the bottom bracket on my 2020 Rad Rover? I already have wrenches and socket sets. Thanks.

Back