Radmini versus Radrover for sharing with the family?

jonglee

First time posting.

I'm going to get a 2018 Rad Power Bike, but torn between Radmini and Radrover.

Read all the info on the Rad website and the reviews here, but wanted some inputs.

I'm 5'10" 175lbs male and if it was only for me, would probably get the 2018 Radrover, but I also want to share with family members including teenagers who are smaller. Is it a no-brainer to get the 2018 Radmini then? I noticed that the handlebar height on the Mini is actually taller at 48.5" rather than 45.5" for Rover. Does this matter?

On a similar note, anyone have experience with teenagers and even younger kids riding a Radmini? If so, what age?

Thanks in advance.

I think I'd rather know what the distance is between the top of the seat and the handlebars when riding. Keep in mind that Rad measures seat height from the pedal at its lowest position and not from the ground. A measurement I think is even more important is standover height. Are the members of your family who will ride this bike going to be able to touch the ground when off the seat? Have you considered the RadCity Step-Thru?

Pretty unusual for the entire family to comfortable on one bike. Pretty certain, someone is going to be uncomfortable. Teenagers and eBikes will surely bring out any weaknesses in the bike. You'll see how long the bike lasts while jumping curbs and running at max assist for the entire battery charge! You're also going to have some fighting and sad family if you only get one bike!

LOL I have one of every bike mentioned in this thread so far. I might be a bit partial to RAD bikes (ya think?).
One (of several) bikes RPB doesn't offer that would also be impossible to keep in stock is a Rover with 24" wheels.
No doubt figuring the Mini would serve just as well, I'm sure it will for you too because the handlebar height is adjustable. So you might still get your Rover afterall.
Might as well face it, after you get the first ebike, you will be lucky to ever get to ride it again. Better plan on getting each their own.

I ended up going to Rad Power Bikes in Ballard, Seattle today and doing a test ride, since I'm fortunate to live close by. My teenage daughter was able to sit comfortably on the Mini, although she wasn't old enough to test ride it due to her age (they do have helmets to borrow).
The helpful folks at the store was clear that for all sizes, Mini was the right choice.
But after also riding the Rover, which I was surprised was fairly upright sitting posture, I decided to purchase it instead, also because they said that they have more availability of the black Rover and I wanted them to assemble it for me. Apparently they just build less of the Mini compared to the Rover.
And to be honest, I felt like the Rover was cooler looking and less hipster looking. I'm going to do most of the riding anyway. If other family members really want one, I'll grab the Mini next time, or wait for a smaller framed Rover.
Now just waiting for them to contact me when it shows up and they do the build out - estimated to be 2 to 3 weeks...

A test ride is always the best route when possible. I got to ride both the RadRover and RadMini while traveling on business to Seattle a few weeks ago from Honolulu. Ordered a black RadRover last Friday when they became available again.

I have a 13 year old and a 16 year old and they love their e-bikes (not Rad, but another brand). They can get all around our very hilly area. I think if you have one bike and are trying to share it with a couple of teenagers, you might not get to use it very often! ;)

My teenage daughter was able to sit comfortably on the Mini, although she wasn't old enough to test ride it due to her age (they do have helmets to borrow).

The Pedego store in Redmond lets kids test-ride their e-bikes. I had to sign a waiver for my kids to do test-rides.

Back