Rad Rover

MLB

Is there anything to compare with the Rad Rover for $1500-2000 new this year? Fatbike, front suspension, looks nice, nicely featured, etc. Seems like a heck of a bike for the money. I'm looking at a gf and buddy bike. Both are 5'5", does anyone know if they'll fit it ok? Wish they had a small.

Last edited:
Easy Motion Big Bud AWD.

Falco Fat bike.

Falco Fat Bike.jpg

Biktrix with 750W BBS02

Izip Sumo 2016

Huh? Falco is a rigid fork, as is the Izip, which costs $3100.
Not even bothering to see how expensive the easy motion is.
?????????????

Huh? Falco is a rigid fork, as is the Izip, which costs $3100.
Not even bothering to see how expensive the easy motion is.
?????????????

I don't think you can find any fat ebike at price point.
I know 2015 models can be had for less but none of the 2016 models will clock in at that price point.

The Rad Rover IS $1500.
"Is there anything to compare with the Rad Rover for $1500-2000 new this year?"

The Rad Rover IS $1500.
"Is there anything to compare with the Rad Rover for $1500-2000 new this year?"

Sorry, I meant except the RadRover (I don't think they have model years) no other fat bike will come in at that price point, unless you get a cheap Bikesdirect fat bike and go with BBS02 with 48V,11.6Ah pack.

Bbshd is more cost effective for
fat than bbs02 since you need to buy a bottom backer adapter for the latter while the hd can be purchased for a fat bottom backer off the bat.

You could build a nice bikes direct, bbshd build for under $2k for sure though, it would be better than the radrover hands down (i own both the radrover and a bikes direct Boris x7 for the record, the Boris is easily a better bike)...If you're willing to do the work on it!

Bbshd is more cost effective for
fat than bbs02 since you need to buy a bottom backer adapter for the latter while the hd can be purchased for a fat bottom backer off the bat.

You could build a nice bikes direct, bbshd build for under $2k for sure though, it would be better than the radrover hands down (i own both the radrover and a bikes direct Boris x7 for the record, the Boris is easily a better bike)...If you're willing to do the work on it!

Thanks, I've actually just been looking at the Boris with a Bluto fork for $1,000, very tempting DIY base.
I do love my Bosch system though. ;)

Is there anything to compare with the Rad Rover for $1500-2000 new this year? Fatbike, front suspension, looks nice, nicely featured, etc. Seems like a heck of a bike for the money. I'm looking at a gf and buddy bike. Both are 5'5", does anyone know if they'll fit it ok? Wish they had a small.
I owned a Rad Rover Fat tire. Great bike. I am 5'5". I had no problem. The bike is super heavy but reliable. I sold mine to go for the Sumo, which is on its way. I actually liked the Rad Rover better than my Trail Tracker. The front shocks really do help. I highly recommend the bike. It's a hub drive though: great commuter, but no work out value whatsoever.

I owned a Rad Rover Fat tire. Great bike. I am 5'5". I had no problem. The bike is super heavy but reliable. I sold mine to go for the Sumo, which is on its way. I actually liked the Rad Rover better than my Trail Tracker. The front shocks really do help. I highly recommend the bike. It's a hub drive though: great commuter, but no work out value whatsoever.

Hey Jan, is there any programming that can be done to the controller/motor? Many Ebikes can have performance parameters changed to fit YOU! Stromer ST1 came strong as heck, super strong and 28mph assist peddled easily to over 30mph. But you can go into the programming and turn it down (or up) as you see fit. When the power comes on. How hard the power comes on, etc etc (hub motor) When I turned it down from setting #6 or #7 overall to about #3 the bike was perfect for me. Still cruised with ease but required a lot more assistance from you to the get juice (torque sensor equipped is a must for this).
I bought the Big Bud (Easy Motion) that Ravi recommended and it's a heck of a lot of fun. We were at South Haven, MI last weekend and it was amazing how easily it went over the hard to walk on narrow sand beaches. :)

Reactions: Jan
Hey Jan, is there any programming that can be done to the controller/motor? Many Ebikes can have performance parameters changed to fit YOU! Stromer ST1 came strong as heck, super strong and 28mph assist peddled easily to over 30mph. But you can go into the programming and turn it down (or up) as you see fit. When the power comes on. How hard the power comes on, etc etc (hub motor) When I turned it down from setting #6 or #7 overall to about #3 the bike was perfect for me. Still cruised with ease but required a lot more assistance from you to the get juice (torque sensor equipped is a must for this).
I bought the Big Bud (Easy Motion) that Ravi recommended and it's a heck of a lot of fun. We were at South Haven, MI last weekend and it was amazing how easily it went over the hard to walk on narrow sand beaches. :)
This is a great question. The gentleman that purchased the bike from me asked me the same thing. I am sure there is a software override for the bike. The Rad Rover guys are great, and I'm sure they would know the answer. I am getting my new Izip E3 Sumo from Ravi tomorrow. It took me forever to find a 2015 model, which is not restricted to 20mph, like the 2016. It also has a throttle, which I miss on my Haibike. I will keep you posted. I love the Transx mid drives. They are not as responsive as the Bosch, but the value is definitely there. I really liked the Bulls Monster Fat Tire when I rode it at the Expo. It has the Bosch CX mid drive, but it was close to $6k. Glad to hear the Big Bud is working for you. I was real curious to find how people enjoy the two hub motors. It makes sense.
Ravi is my favorite E-bike expert. This is the second bike I've bought from him. It will be exciting to follow him on his quest to break the E-bike distance record.
I have changed my mind about the new Strummer. I was so opposed to hub drive e-bikes, so I missed my change to try one out at the E-bike workshop. Now, I'm sorry I didn't. Ravi's videos make the bike look really fun. I now have 4 E-bikes, so I will have to hold off buying any more . . . for now.

I love my Haibike and thought full suspension was a must for me from now on (getting older and all), but I'm really happy with how cushy the ride is on the big bud. While it's not suspension in real off road type riding with big bumps and such, for normal bike trail and path type riding those balloon tires make it really nice! I put a cushy seat on it (stocker is skinny and hard) and road it a bunch last week. It climbed a VERY steep hill that my Haibike couldn't quite get over. Very impressive for hub motors. Even two! Most times I run "Eco" setting that starts out with the bigger rear motor and then switches to the smaller (but faster running) 250w front motor somewhere around 10mph. The handling is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stable it's unreal. Even in deep sand the front would start to wash out and then recover, time after time. :) Doesn't have the power to plow through loose deep sand for long, but run on the more packed or even better the water soaked beach and it's a sublime experience. :)
There is a lot more weight and drag from those big tires and wheels (and front brake was dragging a tad) so I had to run the #2 assist level where Im usually in #1 on my other E's for a given speed.
A lot of fun really! Looking forward to some snow this winter (that's a first!) LOL

Thanks for the update on this, ended up on what we thought would be paved roads today that were not

The street and mariner did ok but the move is on to another mtn bike for back up or maybe a fat bike...

I love my Haibike and thought full suspension was a must for me from now on (getting older and all), but I'm really happy with how cushy the ride is on the big bud. While it's not suspension in real off road type riding with big bumps and such, for normal bike trail and path type riding those balloon tires make it really nice! I put a cushy seat on it (stocker is skinny and hard) and road it a bunch last week. It climbed a VERY steep hill that my Haibike couldn't quite get over. Very impressive for hub motors. Even two! Most times I run "Eco" setting that starts out with the bigger rear motor and then switches to the smaller (but faster running) 250w front motor somewhere around 10mph. The handling is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stable it's unreal. Even in deep sand the front would start to wash out and then recover, time after time. :) Doesn't have the power to plow through loose deep sand for long, but run on the more packed or even better the water soaked beach and it's a sublime experience. :)
There is a lot more weight and drag from those big tires and wheels (and front brake was dragging a tad) so I had to run the #2 assist level where Im usually in #1 on my other E's for a given speed.
A lot of fun really! Looking forward to some snow this winter (that's a first!) LOL

Great feedback. I loved what you wrote so much that I actually thought about buying an EVO Snow from Lenny, since he had a couple "Smoke Damaged" ones left. I went down to the Emotion dealer and tried out an EVO 29er. Very impressive. Unfortunately, Lenny's sale prices only apply to local residents, unless you want to pay shipping and re-packaging, which is understandable, since it looked like he was pretty much giving the bikes away at below cost. It was hard to pass up, but I did. I've had two fat tire; both hub drives, and I agree a very smooth ride. My Trail Tracker was like floating on air. You're right: the lose sand is a bit challenging for these big guys, but if you deflate the tires, it makes a big difference. If you dump them in the sand, they can get a bit heavy. Curious as to what model Haibike you had that was not able to make the climb? My Fullseven goes up some pretty steep spots; so you must have found a great hill challenge that justified the Big Bud. . . how fun.

Back