Rad Rover OEM Rack- Rack Mounted USB rechargeable light options

Grant Brugger

I'm just bought the Rover rear rack from Rad. Looking to find a rear/tail light that can be mounted on to that rack. The rack has a welded panel on it with holes that appears to be for lights or something. Is this accurate? If so, what is supposed to be mounted there and what LED rear lights can fit it? What do you all have for your rover rear racks that work well?

upload_2017-6-16_9-0-57.png

I did the Light and Motion Vis 180 LED rechargeable tail light, $50-$80, eBay-Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion...2624&sr=8-1&keywords=light+and+motion+vis+180

I have the Topeak fat tire rack; but, it has the same mounting point for a light like the Radrover rack. I use the 70 lumen light day and night because it is so bright. It has a solid light (4hrs) solid high pulse (6hrs), or low pulse (12hrs) blink rate instead of the fast strobe most lights have. It also has a yellow light only follow feature (32hrs) for night rides so you don't night blind riders behind you on a bike path.

I mounted the light sideways and I put a few extra zip ties around the light to keep it from walking off. I use the light about 1-3 hours a day depending if I go straight home or trial ride before heading home after work. I have 4-foot retractable mini USB cable, Amazon, $9, I keep in the rack bag if I need to recharge the light at home, work, or from the bike (usually just recharge 1-2 times a week in garage).

I tried the Vis 180 Micro to mount on the back of my helmet. I ended up getting shipped back/forth 3 replacements because the power button on Micro would take 5-10 times to turn on or off. Zero problems with larger size Vis 180 power button. Found two more units on eBay for about $55 each (2nd Radrover and back of my helmet).

You can see the Vis 180 mounted under the Topeak Rack bag on Radrover near hatch on 2nd picture.
Vis 180 helmet.jpg
Vis 180 car.jpg

I did the Light and Motion Vis 180 LED rechargeable tail light, $50-$80, eBay-Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion...2624&sr=8-1&keywords=light+and+motion+vis+180

I have the Topeak fat tire rack; but, it has the same mounting point for a light like the Radrover rack. I use the 70 lumen light day and night because it is so bright. It has a solid light (4hrs) solid high pulse (6hrs), or low pulse (12hrs) blink rate instead of the fast strobe most lights have. It also has a yellow light only follow feature (32hrs) for night rides so you don't night blind riders behind you on a bike path.

I mounted the light sideways and I put a few extra zip ties around the light to keep it from walking off. I use the light about 1-3 hours a day depending if I go straight home or trial ride before heading home after work. I have 4-foot retractable mini USB cable, Amazon, $9, I keep in the rack bag if I need to recharge the light at home, work, or from the bike (usually just recharge 1-2 times a week in garage).

I tried the Vis 180 Micro to mount on the back of my helmet. I ended up getting shipped back/forth 3 replacements because the power button on Micro would take 5-10 times to turn on or off. Zero problems with larger size Vis 180 power button. Found two more units on eBay for about $55 each (2nd Radrover and back of my helmet).

You can see the Vis 180 mounted under the Topeak Rack bag on Radrover near hatch on 2nd picture.View attachment 17004 View attachment 17005

It seems like the Vis 180 is meant to be mounted vertically vs horizontally due to the side lights... I was thinking more of a horizontal mounted LED... but I see yours is mounted horizontally, does it have light all the way left to right or just one on one of the sides?

The issue I had was I don't have rear fenders and the vertical mount was getting too dusty/dirty/muddy and it got in the way of the sliding my rack bag on/off (Topeak smart-track system with no velcro straps). Plus, I've notice the Topeak rear panniers blocked the side view anyways (usually ride with one or both down). This was the reason for the extra Vis 180 light on the rear of my helmet.

I still felt the Radrover disappeared from the side view at night and added Brightz, LTD. Go Brightz Color Morphine LED lights, Amazon, $20.

led side view II.jpg
Brightz lights.jpg

The issue I had was I don't have rear fenders and the vertical mount was getting too dusty/dirty/muddy and it got in the way of the sliding my rack bag on/off (Topeak smart-track system with no velcro straps). Plus, I've notice the Topeak rear panniers blocked the side view anyways (usually ride with one or both down). This was the reason for the extra Vis 180 light on the rear of my helmet.

I still felt the Radrover disappeared from the side view at night and added Brightz, LTD. Go Brightz Color Morphine LED lights, Amazon, $20.

View attachment 17006 View attachment 17007

I'm confused, so which light is on your rack mounted horizontally?

I have two light on my Topeak rear rack:

Vis 180 for rearward visibility for day and night riding

Brightz LED under the rear rack for night time side visibility only.

The second pic is what my Radrover looks like before heading out at 5:30am. My helmet light might not show how bright everything is at that time in the morning. I just wanted to make sure a sleepy eyed distracted driver will recognized my bike that early in the morning from any angle (also have front/ rear helmet lights and wear reflective clothing).

Brightz lights II.jpg
Brightz lights III.jpg

I ordered my rear light from RAD Power Bikes. The same light as used on the RADCity will fit the RPB RAD Rover rack. Fits perfect. Uses regular double A batteries but that is OK with me. I called/emailed RAD Power Bikes to place the order.

I ordered my rear light from RAD Power Bikes. The same light as used on the RADCity will fit the RPB RAD Rover rack. Fits perfect. Uses regular double A batteries but that is OK with me. I called/emailed RAD Power Bikes to place the order.
How much was it?

I have extra rechargeable AA batteries I use for my home remotes. They don't last as long per charge as Duracell; but, they will last for years with recharging compared to just weeks like regular batteries. I have two sets and recharge on the weekends for my weekday commutes (use the recharge batteries for the green side illumination light).

$15.00 ea. plus shipping. The light seems to be well made. Comes with M5 mounting bolts (slotted into rear light housing) . You will need to supply the M5 nut an lock washer. Light has two modes: Solid on and flashing mode.

I have this light from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXHDQLN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a GREAT light because it has a nice handlebar controller with turn signals and the laser path lights.

It connects to a tube holder to attach to the seat post so I could not use it on my rack which also has a plate on the back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA8GH8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Great rack BTW)

So I designed and printed a plate on my 3D printer that connects to it then I just used some bolts to connect that plate to the plate on the rack. :)

I also just designed and printed a throttle thumb controller, USB and power port plugs. :)

I am currently using the stock front light holder for an after market light but am going to design and print my own that will fit better.

I don't have actual pictures with me but here are the cad renderings.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 876
  • thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
I have this light from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXHDQLN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a GREAT light because it has a nice handlebar controller with turn signals and the laser path lights.

It connects to a tube holder to attach to the seat post so I could not use it on my rack which also has a plate on the back.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA8GH8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Great rack BTW)

So I designed and printed a plate on my 3D printer that connects to it then I just used some bolts to connect that to the plate. :)

I also just designed and printed a throttle thumb controller, USB and power port plugs. :)

I am currently using the stock front light holder for an after market light but am going to design and print my own that will fit better.

I don't have actual pictures with me but here are the cad renderings.

This is awesome!

As I said in the past I am willing to help others as well. I can print something for the light I have. If you got that light I could print a blank plate and you could just drill the holes for your rack.
Other lights would be a bit harder not having anything to test against. Sometimes it takes me several prints to get things to the way I want them.

As I said in the past I am willing to help others as well. I can print something for the light I have. If you got that light I could print a blank plate and you could just drill the holes for your rack.
Other lights would be a bit harder not having anything to test against. Sometimes it takes me several prints to get things to the way I want them.
I appreciate that, I will let you know what I decide. Thanks.

Back