RAD RHINO European Version

Thanks, I have seen the video.

But there are some videos where the stock Rad Rover without upgrades can reach 25 mph. I have pushed my Rhino of flat roads and it becomes very hard to get past 34 km/h (22 mph).

I am in the same situation: beyond 34km/h it's almost impossible to go, even if I set to 40km/h the maximum velocity. Is there any way to reach a higher speed?

I have thought about getting the kits, but I also have this doubt: I am not interested in more sprint, since I have to do 34km on perfectly flat asphalt, so I need only to reach a higher speed. If I understand correctly, the kits, intended as controller+display, give you only more torque when going uphill, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the video, however I still have some doubts, since the video refers to an upgrade of the 750w version, while the EU version is 250w, so starting from a weaker engine maybe we could have already reached the maximum speed, no matter which controller is adopted.

Just a little more information on the EU Rhino version, the controller comes with the 26 inch default setting putting the speed reading a little off. When it shows 34 km/h, I'm actually a bit over 36 km/h (I measured the speed with my Garmin Fenix 3 watch).

I tend to think Rad have kept the same motor, just the official rating is different unless Rovers' owners really don't have any issues getting and cruising at 24 mph.

For now, I won't be upgrading immediately with the Bolton kit because I'm riding my bike essentially in Paris which is quite crowded. It is quite hard to maintain anything beyond 30 km/h due to traffic. Average speed with the Rhino on a 40 km round trip in Paris is about 23/24 km/h vs 18 km/h on my regular bike. I suspect for a city usage, I won't gain much by upgrading to a 35A current or upgrading the speed through replacing the motor or the battery.

No it's the same than US Rad motor...
I hope you are right, but let me ask you directly: did you dismantled the wheel and checked, or is it just your thought? Sorry if I may sound rude, but I've read a lot of incoherent information on the web about the new EU Version.

Just a little more information on the EU Rhino version, the controller comes with the 26 inch default setting putting the speed reading a little off. When it shows 34 km/h, I'm actually a bit over 36 km/h (I measured the speed with my Garmin Fenix 3 watch).

I tend to think Rad have kept the same motor, just the official rating is different unless Rovers' owners really don't have any issues getting and cruising at 24 mph.

For now, I won't be upgrading immediately with the Bolton kit because I'm riding my bike essentially in Paris which is quite crowded. It is quite hard to maintain anything beyond 30 km/h due to traffic. Average speed with the Rhino on a 40 km round trip in Paris is about 23/24 km/h vs 18 km/h on my regular bike. I suspect for a city usage, I won't gain much by upgrading to a 35A current or upgrading the speed through replacing the motor or the battery.
I can confirm your findings, because I also measured (with a Garmin Fenix 3 :) ) the actual speed and it reaches a peak 36.5 km/h. My current usage as commuting is different: 68km for a round trip on almost perfect flat asphalt with 20m of elevation gain, so I am deeply interested in understanding how to increase the peak to, let's say, 40,45 km/h, and in particular if the simple 35a current kit would be enough. Here it is a sample of the of my commuting trip on Strava: link and link2.

Why don't you just a "real 750W motor" that's referred by Bolton?

I know it is going to cost you more, but even for American / Canadian Rad Rover owners, to get the most out of upgraded Bolton controller, you need the real 750W motor.

So it's not like you need to spend more money than American Rad Power owners anyways.
I think you are right in the sense that, in order to achieve a higher top speed, I should go for the "full" upgrade, that is 750w motor + controller 35a, even if it's pricier, 470USD without shipping.
Bolton currently says the motor is out of stock: do you know that, if I find a Bafang 750w through aliexpress or other, the rest of the kit will work flawlessly out of the box?

You convinced me :) I just bought the 35a controller, let's see how it works, and then I will buy the motor if everything is ok.
By the way, do you think it's possible to have the full throttle without peddling, with the new controller and lcd, even if it's the EU version of the bike?
Yes, you should be able to use throttle only with the 'EW controller.

I have the RadRhino 750W 2019 version

To change the top speed:

1. Long press UP+DOWN buttons to enter the setup menu (Set.1)
2. Long press UP+DOWN buttons again, to see maximum speed: probably 25 km/h (Set.4). The speed will not blink (not adjustable).
3. Long press UP button until you see Set.5 in the top right
4. Long press DOWN button until you see Set.6 in the top right. The max speed setting will blink now (adjustable).
5. Adjust max speed with the UP / DOWN buttons to the required setting, which varies between 12 and 40 km/h
6. Long press MODE button to exit the setup menu

Keep in mind to not increase the max speed setting above the maximum speed limit allowed in your country when using the bike on public roads.
On private terrain: enjoy :)
When did you buy your Rad Wagon? I think the 2019 EU version had a bigger motor. The ones that will be shipped in September are 250w.

I bought mine in february 2020 (750W RadRhino). They don't sell the 750W version anymore in Europe, but you can also change the max speed setting in the newer EU version ... it just won't reach the 40 km/h. (rather 33-36 km/h max).

As far as I know, all motors are actually the same (500W Bafang with 750W peak power), but it's the controller what is the limiting factor.
The controller for the 250W can get the motor run at 250W max.
The controller for the 750W can get the motor run at 750W.

Just bought the Rad Rhino (so 2020 version ? Or is it still 2019 ?). First thing I did was to put the max speed at 40 km/h (which is 25 mph) but I can hardly get pass 34 km/h (22 mph). Throttle can only propel the ebike around 6 km/h (I tried set 1, 2 and 3).

Can't say if Rad changed the controller, the motor or both Vs the US Rover version.

Range is about 30 miles / 50 km with PAS set at 5 and 60 miles / 90 when it is set at 1.

The 250W version will indeed max out at about 34 km/h, no matter if you set the max speed higher or not.
Rad changed the controller for the 250W version:
- it limits the power of the motor to 250W
- it limits the throttle to act just to get started, with a maximum of 6 km/h
The motor should be the same as the 750W version.

Just too bad they didn't stick up with the 750W versions, or at least delivering them with the same hardware as the 750W versions.
+ leaving the opportunity to change settings in the controller to the customers, to make them Road legal (25 km/h + 250W in most EU countries) where needed, or Off Road settings too with other limitations.
The same for the throttle settings ... why not letting it up to the user?
Because every country has different rules according to speed / power / throttle (+ obligations, registrations, insurance, ...)
If people could just "program" the settings for where they want to ride the bike ... it would be so much easier + cheaper for the users!

Can't say as to why they changed the controller since when it was shipped, it was set at a max speed of 25 km/h.

But if you change the settings to go over 25 km/h, well you'll be over either at ~35 or 40 km/h.

l all so have the rad rhino EU version got it 2019 it was the last 750w out of Holland but as you all now it only a 550w motor l am happy with the bike l did the speed hack it help but l am waiting on the Eggrider v2 to try on the bike

Attachments

• 73475176_2546538175431449_4796770341194039296_n.jpg
    73475176_2546538175431449_4796770341194039296_n.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 242
no got my bike in 2019 l got the last one that had the 750w motor in it when l did the speed hack made my bike go alot faster going up hills just on but l am waiting on the eggrider v2 was told it will help me
IMG_2018_03_30_09_23_01_8240-500x500.jpg

Hi lads, Anybody know if that speed hack in the hidden menu in the stock display still works on the new 250w EU motors that the Radrhino 5 has now, Thanks.

Back