Rad Mini an Upright?

Tom899

I was looking at Brooks seats for the Rad Mini which I don't have yet. (debating between between the Mini or Mariner but leaning toward the Mini).
I'm 65 years old and usually ride an ICE electric trike. I want the Mini for it's folding capability.
Seat and back comfort is important. I'm thinking of a BodyFloat seat post and Brooks Saddle. Brooks makes many models and recommends a C19 Cambium for more upright position.
So, my question is, would the Mini be considered upright riding position? And, anyone using a BodyFloat and or Brooks saddles on their Mini?
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Thomas,

On my Radmini, my handlebars are definitely higher than my rear seat and setup to be 'upright'. I put all my weight onto the saddle and am currently using the stock saddle + origin8 suspension seatpost (just goes up and down: https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Pro-Fit-Suspension-Post/dp/B0046W0N9G)

I set it up this way due to my setup with 30psi front and back, my hands get a bit numb on the ride to work on the neighborhood roads... they're a kind of gritty type asphalt for a lot of it.

I haven't used Brooks Saddles, but I found the stock seat on the radrover and radmini comfortable enough to order a few more for my other bikes during the holiday sale.

Sang

Hi Thomas,

On my Radmini, my handlebars are definitely higher than my rear seat and setup to be 'upright'. I put all my weight onto the saddle and am currently using the stock saddle + origin8 suspension seatpost (just goes up and down: https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Pro-Fit-Suspension-Post/dp/B0046W0N9G)

I set it up this way due to my setup with 30psi front and back, my hands get a bit numb on the ride to work on the neighborhood roads... they're a kind of gritty type asphalt for a lot of it.

I haven't used Brooks Saddles, but I found the stock seat on the radrover and radmini comfortable enough to order a few more for my other bikes during the holiday sale.

Sang
Thanks Sang, With this information I think I will start out with a suspension seat post and use the stock seat.

...debating between between the Mini or Mariner...
The Voltbike Mariner includes a suspension seat post for your needs. It also has full fenders and rack, which I really like because it has a convenient spring clamp. I may start riding with a light jacket, and when it gets hot, I can easily stow it under the spring clamp.

The Voltbike Mariner includes a suspension seat post for your needs. It also has full fenders and rack, which I really like because it has a convenient spring clamp. I may start riding with a light jacket, and when it gets hot, I can easily stow it under the spring clamp.
Yes, this is becoming a hard decision for me, Mini or Mariner. Putting money aside, which is best? This probably isn't the right forum for this question but very interested in which one to purchase.

I watched the videos on both and asked Court Rye that same question. He said either one would be a good choice and each one has it's only little advantages. Videos are on EBR.

I also watched Court's video reviews, he does a great job and I thank him! I might not be interested in either if it wasn't for him.
They both look good and come from good companies that answer the phone. These are some of the pluses for me. I'm sure there are more or less for others.
Pluses for Mini
The Mini's spec shows a more powerful motor and maybe a little quieter(probably doesn't matter), a little nicer display with USB powered port(handy for plugging in your phone or GPS), derailleur guard, I like the handlebar shape and grips a little more, front rack vs no front rack(not sure if this is a big deal), 7-speed vs 6-speed(not sure if this matters)
Pluses for Mariner
The Mariner is a little lighter in weight, has suspension seat post, comes with fenders and costs less, rear rack is spring loaded, has a lower step over(doesn't matter for me as I'm 6'1" but might for my wife if she wants to try it), I think the frame design looks a little more attractive but totally subjective.
The Mini is $1659 with optional fenders including free shipping
The Mariner is $1329 with included fenders including $70 shipping
So we have a $330 difference, which is a good chunk but willing to spend it if it's the right choice. I have a couple of weeks to think about it while I'm on vacation.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Voltbike Urban also? It was just refreshed with a new foldable design and aluminium wheels. Weaker motor and smaller battery (compared to Mini and Mariner) but much lighter (45lbs), *new front suspension fork* and only US$1,049!

It also includes full fenders and rack with spring clamp. Voltbike always include a heavy duty helmet. I have one, but don't use it. It is more for scooters and a bit heavy for me.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Voltbike Urban also? It was just refreshed with a new foldable design and aluminium wheels. Weaker motor and smaller battery (compared to Mini and Mariner) but much lighter (45lbs), *new front suspension fork* and only US$1,049!

It also includes full fenders and rack with spring clamp. Voltbike always include a heavy duty helmet. I have one, but don't use it. It is more for scooters and a bit heavy for me.
Thanks, I'll check it out! Although I'm kind of digging the Fat Tires! I probably don't need them but they look cool!

One thing I don't like about fat tires is that it gets too much attention (all positive so far for me), but I still prefer less attention and more stealth on an Ebike.

I am enjoying my mini. Issues I have relate to the motor controller which makes it difficult to control in PAS 3 or higher when you have to stop or slow down quickly for pedestrians or traffic, if you pedal slowly, the motor kicks in with copious power. You might see how the controller works for the mariner for comparison. I am able to down PAS quickly so no big issue to get used to it. I enjoy the 750 watts and being 66, I need the extra power for the hills I have to climb. 500 watts just wouldn't do it. Of course, the users manual says not to use more than 500 watts on hills anyway....

I am enjoying my mini. Issues I have relate to the motor controller which makes it difficult to control in PAS 3 or higher when you have to stop or slow down quickly for pedestrians or traffic, if you pedal slowly, the motor kicks in with copious power. You might see how the controller works for the mariner for comparison. I am able to down PAS quickly so no big issue to get used to it. I enjoy the 750 watts and being 66, I need the extra power for the hills I have to climb. 500 watts just wouldn't do it. Of course, the users manual says not to use more than 500 watts on hills anyway....
Thanks for the PAS information. I heard there was a firmware upgrade not too long ago that tamed down just what you are talking about. Do you know if you have a recent build? If not I think you can send the controller in to get it updated?

I took delivery in December, but if I decipher the serial# right, it was made in April last year. I "could" get an updated controller but it isn't free and bike would be OOC during the process. Besides, I can deal with this minor issue ("better the devil you know..."). and OBTW, for the thread title, you are upright while riding.
20161224_152107.jpg

I was looking at Brooks seats for the Rad Mini which I don't have yet. (debating between between the Mini or Mariner but leaning toward the Mini).
I'm 65 years old and usually ride an ICE electric trike. I want the Mini for it's folding capability.
Seat and back comfort is important. I'm thinking of a BodyFloat seat post and Brooks Saddle. Brooks makes many models and recommends a C19 Cambium for more upright position.
So, my question is, would the Mini be considered upright riding position? And, anyone using a BodyFloat and or Brooks saddles on their Mini?
Thanks,
Tom
I am using the body float. I'm on the short side 5'8" and get back aches when hunched over. I moved my stock seat forward and raised the hade bars . I now sit mostly upright and am comfortable after 30th + mile rides.

I am using the body float. I'm on the short side 5'8" and get back aches when hunched over. I moved my stock seat forward and raised the hade bars . I now sit mostly upright and am comfortable after 30th + mile rides.
Thanks Fred, good information for me. I am going to get a BodyFloat and start with the stock seat.

Back