Rad City 4- Battery Charging/Storage Question

Stefi

Just got my Rad City 4 and I'm a bit confused about battery charging-based on Owner's manual you should never leave the battery unattended during charging process-this process may take few hours, first three times almost 12 hours, so what you have to do-stay beside the battery all that time? Also as per owner's manual the battery should be charge and store at a temperature between 10-25 C or 50f-77f-these days when outside temperature is about 32c in my garage is getting close to 40c-what to do in this case? It is safe to leave the battery on the bike and/or charging at this temperature? or charge and keep the battery better in the house when is so hot? Thanks

It's one of those legal things lawyers make companies say in an attempt to reduce the amount of damages you can successfully sue them for.

One thing, however, is that you should not charge the battery when it or the environment is hot. I'd call 40C hot. It's just not good for the battery cells to get a full charge when they're so hot. Bring it indoors to charge if you can.

As for risk of fire, there's always some risk. After a dozen or so charges you'll get complacent, but lithium-ion battery fires do happen if something goes wrong (typically with overcharging) and when they do happen they can be catastrophic. Beware the Hazards

I'm thoughtful about where I charge my eBike batteries. I don't charge them on the living room carpet or room rugs. I wouldn't charge them next to full gas cans. I charge them on the bike in my stand-alone garage (which doesn't have cars), which probably isn't the best place since it doesn't have a full-on smoke/fire detector, but damage to the garage would not affect my house at least.

Back