Rad 750 watt motor power

mjorg

Hello, I've considered a Rad Rover for a long time. But, the main issue that's held me back was an older YouTube video graphically stating that the Rad Rover's 750 watt motor is built with less power than a typical Bafang motor. Recently I saw another YouTube video where an owner of both bikes compares a Rad Rover to a Himiway Cruiser (this comes right up in a YouTube search). In that video the owner blatantly stated that the Rad Rover had less power (I know that he could be secretly affiliated with Himiway). I love what Rad does as far as accessories. Their racks are amazing. But, I need power for hills. As much power as I can get because I live in and area with very steep inclines. I'd like to know if Rad Rover owners have experienced less power with their bikes in comparison with other 750 watt bikes. Rad Owners, please don't get angry with me. It's an honest question. This is either real, or not.

Its real, I seen another video of a Lectric XP and a Rad going head to head....XP won by a long shot.

Its real, I seen another video of a Lectric XP and a Rad going head to head....XP won by a long shot.
The Rad City is rated at 750 watts, but it is direct drive. So, it has half the nM of torque. So the model does matter.

I live in San Francisco, and often ride in Marin County, and never found a hill my stock radrover would not climb. When after a year I replaced the controller and display for better programmability of the lowest three PAS settings, I had zero interest in replacing the motor. I also have never found myself needing more than PAS 3 (about 600w as I've configured it) for hill climbing, and usually do them in PAS 1(200w) or PAS 2 (320w).

I live in San Francisco, and often ride in Marin County, and never found a hill my stock radrover would not climb. When after a year I replaced the controller and display for better programmability of the lowest three PAS settings, I had zero interest in replacing the motor. I also have never found myself needing more than PAS 3 (about 600w as I've configured it) for hill climbing, and usually do them in PAS 1(200w) or PAS 2 (320w).
San Francisco has some hills. Thanks for your input.

that might be more because your able to put out more torque. I have never heard the rad is a great hill climber.

As far as I know, RadRover is powered by 350W motor overboosted to 750W.

According to CitizenCycle, Himiway is powered by Ivanxing, whereas RadRover is powered by Bafang.
Externally, Himiway's Ivanxing motor does look a little bit beefier.
That first video is the first one I refer to in my original post.

Hello, I've considered a Rad Rover for a long time. But, the main issue that's held me back was an older YouTube video graphically stating that the Rad Rover's 750 watt motor is built with less power than a typical Bafang motor. Recently I saw another YouTube video where an owner of both bikes compares a Rad Rover to a Himiway Cruiser (this comes right up in a YouTube search). In that video the owner blatantly stated that the Rad Rover had less power (I know that he could be secretly affiliated with Himiway). I love what Rad does as far as accessories. Their racks are amazing. But, I need power for hills. As much power as I can get because I live in and area with very steep inclines. I'd like to know if Rad Rover owners have experienced less power with their bikes in comparison with other 750 watt bikes. Rad Owners, please don't get angry with me. It's an honest question. This is either real, or not.
For what it's worth I'm 72 and have a Rad Rover Step Through. I've yet to find a hill I couldn't easily pedal up.

For what it's worth I'm 72 and have a Rad Rover Step Through. I've yet to find a hill I couldn't easily pedal up.
How about this guy?
IMG_0932.jpg

I agree that the motor is rated at 750w by Rad, and it's not the same one Bafang rates at 750w.

To my knowledge, the Rad City is the last bike left in their line up that uses that relatively gutless 750w direct drive. Everything else is gear driven.

Rad is currently facing some stiff competition in this price class. Others are selling similarly priced bikes with REAL Bafang 750w drives, and offer hydraulic brakes to boot!

What you loose is the popularity and reputation RAD brings to the table. Tough call, and 2 ways to play it I think. Buy one of these competitors bikes, or buy a RAD with the idea that if it doesn't have enough power, you can add a couple hundred dollars for a performance kit that will put it on par, or maybe slightly higher than the competition. Have fun making that call! -Al

This motor will probably never give you any trouble.( It could regen as well. If it is DD) I had a geared Bafang 750( could do 1050 watts and that thing punched above its weight in the 82# Cruiser bike I had.

If you have yet to ride an ebike, you are in for a real treat. If you are relying on Youtube videos and printed performance specs only to gauge the “best” ebike for you, then you will drive yourself nuts and never take the plunge.

My advice would be to take what you have learned so far and select a bike that seems to best match up to your criteria (acceleration, hill climbing ability, battery Ah, top speed, cargo capacity, accessories, support, price, etc.) and order that bike. It seems most places have a 15-30 day return policy so you can ride it and decide if it performs up to your needs in your “real world” scenario.

Until you put your butt in the saddle and feet on the pedals, you will never know if that bike will conquer “that one hill” or get you from Point A to Point B in the manner and comfort that you desire.

I own a 2019 Rad City ST (w/DD motor) and I am quite happy with its performance. I ride urban paved surface streets in flat terrain, so quick acceleration and hill climbing capabilities were not important criteria to me. YMMV.

I’m sure you will enjoy riding whatever you decide on! - RangerDave

Wouldn't know until I tried but it doesn't look as steep as one of the park trails I often ride up. On that one I usually ride up the steeper side to save on the brakes for the decent on the other side.
16% grade. seven on my bosch mid drive your going to have to put out about 200 watts of your own. thats about 20 mph on a road bike.

Last edited:
16% grade. seven on my bosch mid drive your going to have to put out about 200 watts of your own. thats about 20 mph on a road bike.
Nice grade,, I used to be in construction and I do not think VDOT will build any roads with over 11% grades these days, you might be surprised on the old county easements though.
"OP", take the plunge just do not drain the bank account on the first one, after awhile you will be able to tell what works for you, when you are comfortable, resist temptation and ignore the rest, only upgrading out of necessity. Cheaper bikes are starting to get better components so do the "Turtle thing" and be patient.

Remember "CC" already did the heavy lifting on the "Rad"( more alphabet- bear with me)"B for B", change the controller on the Rad. 26 amp controller on my old Cruiser let the 750 Bafang sing.

Nice grade,, I used to be in construction and I do not think VDOT will build any roads with over 11% grades these days, you might be surprised on the old county easements though.
"OP", take the plunge just do not drain the bank account on the first one, after awhile you will be able to tell what works for you, when you are comfortable, resist temptation and ignore the rest, only upgrading out of necessity. Cheaper bikes are starting to get better components so do the "Turtle thing" and be patient.
this nothing we have plenty of 20% grades they tend to be short luckily.
IMG_1242.jpeg

Nice ,that looks like "Sears Hill" in a town closeby, those Hills can be a bitch to pave.

Back