Race Face Chester Pedal Install /w Modification

nutdriver

Region
USA
For most of the last 20 years, I have ridden with Clipless Pedals but decided with my new bike to simplify and eliminate the need to wear special cycling shoes.

I upgraded my OEM pedals to Race Face Chesters. I liked the pedals but found the screws to be a little too aggressive. As a result, I made two modifications.

I first purchased some stainless washers. These carry the description of "uxcell M3 304 Stainless Steel Flat Washers, 100pcs 3x5x0.5mm" on Amazon. The washer OD needs to be limited to 5 mm so these were perfect. The ID is 3 mm. I took out each screw and installed 3 washers under the head. This lowered the head 1.5 mm. Not much, but enough to make a difference. I then polished the screw ends with a Dremel tool with a small grinding wheel bit. The end result is a much better feel for the type of riding I am doing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3TWGG72?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Original Appearance:
1714582442965.png

Modified Appearance:

1714582526351.png

Hmm. Nice move.
I use the CrankBrothers Stamp pedals which are similar. The 'screws' have hex heads on them and can be screwed inward/outward to adjust how long they protrude from the crank. MUCH easier to deal with adjustment(s).

Well, the platform pedals with traction pins are made for the proper cycling shoes...

1714682460905.png

Specialized 2FO Flat Mountain Bike Shoes

1714682573862.png

Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro.

Once you ride in them, no need to modify the pedals, as the pedals as they are keep the feet as good as "clipless pedals/ cleated shoes". Of course I understand you needed to ride in regular shoes. Race Face "Ride" pedals would be a better choice for you: plastic traction areas there are good for any casual shoes.

Just saying.

Well, the platform pedals with traction pins are made for the proper cycling shoes...

View attachment 175076
Specialized 2FO Flat Mountain Bike Shoes

View attachment 175077
Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro.

Once you ride in them, no need to modify the pedals, as the pedals as they are keep the feet as good as "clipless pedals/ cleated shoes". Of course I understand you needed to ride in regular shoes. Race Face "Ride" pedals would be a better choice for you: plastic traction areas there are good for any casual shoes.

Just saying.

....and just for the record....there are countless 'regular shoes' that work just dandy on these types of flat pedals. I've personally never felt the need to purchase a 'bike specific' shoe.

Those bloody red spots on your shins?....those prove that you are a man. Period.
If I get any more manly from my pedals, some neighbor's gonna report my wife for domestic violence against my shins. They eventually learned to stay away from the spikes but still get bitten now and then.

Closed-toe Keen sandals and Skechers slip-ins are pretty much all I wear now — on and off the bike. Work well enough for my recreational riding with no visible sole damage after a year.

After a longer time ridden with the traction-pin pedals, you start noticing the last time you hurt your shins happened several years ago...

Back