R&M SuperDelite vs Homage, Fox suspension upgrade ?

I was in the exact same predicament, wondering about whether or not to upgrade the suspension, Superdelite vs Homage for my wife...this particular thread really really helped me make the decision. In the end i went with the same setup as HariSeldon i believe. Two Superdelite GTs, Rohloff hub, 47cm frames with the GX option and the Fox suspension. Bikes are being ordered on Tuesday from a LBS and can't wait until they arrive. Thank you all so much for taking the time to post and allowing others to gain valuable information from your experiences. It truly is very much appreciated and helpful.

A further point was, for us having the GX option, lifts the crank height about 2cm, the addition of the dropper post also takes space and whilst with a slightly shortened seatpost on a saddle, we tested with a 51cm frame on a Delite GT we were ok, it was felt the GX option left less room and this the 47cm frame was preferable.

The difference in reach and the water bottles being a little closer are very valid points I will speak with our dealer about this.
That extra 20 mm would be an issue for me. It gets the top tube just a bit too close for comfort :oops: I was thinking if I was in the same situation and knowing how perfect I fit on the 51 cm and if the GX suspension option wasn't essential, I'd opt for the standard height and get a 51 cm. But that's just me :)

Marc

That extra 20 mm would be an issue for me. It gets the top tube just a bit too close for comfort :oops: I was thinking if I was in the same situation and knowing how perfect I fit on the 51 cm and if the GX suspension option wasn't essential, I'd opt for the standard height and get a 51 cm. But that's just me :)

Marc
My wife and I both tested the 51cm and we both seemed to "fit", the clearance wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't entirely comfortable either if tgat makes sense. Also these bikes will be our last (I'm 55 and my wife is 54) and knowing gravity, things will not be in the same place as we both age so we thought long term the 47 cm would be best.

Marc

For us I anticipate the GX option will be very useful, the increased travel and tyres for light off road use and trails, the benefit of bar ends and dropper post ( we are opting with the dealer for the regular Salle Royal saddle)

Very much appreciate the experience of those posting on the forum, it’s been incredibly useful.

Our test rides of the GT Delite 2020 and 2020 Mountain Delite were both very positive, in particular the Delite Mountain with Fox suspension a very comfortable ride and a very ‘willing’ performance pulling away. I am sure the Fox will be very worthwhile for us, thanks again to Alaskan for his very detailed and helpful reply to my initial queries.

A word of caution regarding the dropper post on the Delight Mountain. I really like having the dropper as it makes it easy to mount and dismount. My inseam is 32" so I can sit in the saddle at a stop with my feet flat on the ground. I drop the saddle every time I come to a stop. The first start up stroke of the pedal is made standing so I can pop the saddle back up.

Now for the caution. I had been in the habit of grabbing the nose of the saddle with my right hand and the stem with my left when lifting or swinging the bike around. DO NOT DO THIS WITH A DROPPER POST. This is not a light bike. Lifting a heavy bike by the saddle on a dropper post will weaken the seals on the air cartridge in the seat post to the point where it will eventually lift the seat up leaving the bike on the ground and become a shock absorbing seat post that bounces when pedaling. Those seals were designed to hold your weight up, not to suspend the weight of the bike. Reach below the seat and grab the top rail of the luggage rack if you have one or reach a bit lower to the upper tube of the swing arm. Resist the temptation to grab the saddle nose.

Last edited:
My wife and I both tested the 51cm and we both seemed to "fit", the clearance wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't entirely comfortable either if tgat makes sense. Also these bikes will be our last (I'm 55 and my wife is 54) and knowing gravity, things will not be in the same place as we both age so we thought long term the 47 cm would be best.
This sounds prudent to me. Another factor you may not have considered is that if you find in time you choose shoes like the excellent Five Ten Freeriders for example, they have low heels compared to many regular boots or shoes and this may further reduce your clearance. I have considered switching to higher heeled boots to compensate on my bike but I like the grippy Five Ten soles .

Last edited:
Back