Quick-E+

The chain catcher is working well, I felt the chain wanting to come off a couple of times this week but it stayed on, the chain catcher has a couple of marks on it confirming the chain made contact.

Happy that this has hopefully resolved my chain coming off issue.

Hi folks, unfortunately my Quick-E was stolen last Sunday from Highett Station in Melbourne. If you live in Melbourne, please keep an eye out for it. I normally lock it in a cage but my son borrowed it and was running late and the train was coming so locked it up at the station entrance using a Folding Lock in the CCTV area.

Of course, stations are notorious for bike thieves and one came along with bolt-cutters. He has had an earful from me about it.

Luckily it was insured under an optional extra on my home contents insurance, so I have a claim in and my son will be paying the excess.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned this here was that Quick-E's are no longer available here in Australia, so was wondering what to get next ? I don't commute any more (permanently WFH) and I now do long weekend rides and some trail riding.

Hi folks, unfortunately my Quick-E was stolen last Sunday from Highett Station in Melbourne. If you live in Melbourne, please keep an eye out for it. I normally lock it in a cage but my son borrowed it and was running late and the train was coming so locked it up at the station entrance using a Folding Lock in the CCTV area.

Of course, stations are notorious for bike thieves and one came along with bolt-cutters. He has had an earful from me about it.

Luckily it was insured under an optional extra on my home contents insurance, so I have a claim in and my son will be paying the excess.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned this here was that Quick-E's are no longer available here in Australia, so was wondering what to get next ? I don't commute any more (permanently WFH) and I now do long weekend rides and some trail riding.

Sorry to hear about your bike Alan, that sucks. I think the 2019 Quick E+ was a great year - the Fastroad that replaced it was only supplied with a 400W battery.
Maybe a hard tail mtb would suit you better? Similar price bracket as a commuter, but better off road. WFH suit you? Seems to be the IT default workplace nowadays. I still have an office as a hospital can’t function without actual staff onsite.

This doesn't answer Alan's question but I am looking at getting a 2022 Explore E+(when they are eventually released) as a replacement to my 2018 Quick E+, I test rode a 2021 Explore E+ a month or so ago and it was a pretty nice ride with the front shocks and Evo Dash ride control.

As much as the Giant bikes are expensive I've been impressed, my bike just clocked 9999km (odo is now stuck at 9999) and in the 3yrs of ownership I've had zero issues with the motor (with a SpeedBox fitted) and the 500w battery is prob only down to 80% capacity and I ride exclusively in sports mode these days. My previous Easy Motion, needed a new battery ($1K) after 2yrs (it started cutting out and would be mostly discharged by the time I got home), 2 1/2yrs in I needed a new rear wheel / motor ($700) due to gear box issues that the LBS couldn't fix (big hill climb everyday from Milsons Point to Artarmon).

My only bug bear is it chews through the 11T & 13T rear cogs every 6 months but that's due to the torque sports mode puts out...

Thanks for the condolences. The insurance company (Youi Contents with optional out of home cover) are prepared to replace it with a 2020 FastRoad E+ EX Pro, so I could probably persuade them to go with an 2021 Explore instead as it is cheaper and I could also argue that the 500W Battery in the Quick-E warrants them stretching to a 2021 Fastroad EX Pro also with a 500W Battery.

Thanks for the condolences. The insurance company (Youi Contents with optional out of home cover) are prepared to replace it with a 2020 FastRoad E+ EX Pro, so I could probably persuade them to go with an 2021 Explore instead as it is cheaper and I could also argue that the 500W Battery in the Quick-E warrants them stretching to a 2021 Fastroad EX Pro also with a 500W Battery.

Sorry to hear that your bike was stolen, I believe you were enjoying it quite a lot.
On the other hand it is great to hear that your insurance company is replacing it.

Between Explore and FastRoad it will come to your preference between 700c, front suspension vs 27.5 wheels with wider tires, slightly better derailleur. 700c with narrower tires feel a bit more nimble especially when you are riding with motor turned off.

That being said, I have checked AU pricing and I realized that both of your picks are quite expensive and they are still speed limited right ?
Since you like to ride the new bike for leisure why don't you go for a full suspension bike like Stance E+ 2 . Its price is very close but you may really like the versatility full suspension brings.

Thanks Johnny. I definitely want a more Touring focussed bike with lights, mudguards, rack etc. I had a ride on the Explore and it rides very nicely - you're right, it does feel easier when riding with the motor off. However, my head likes it but my heart is pining for my old Quick-E so I'm sorely tempted by the EX Pro. I suppose that's why I was looking for owner experiences.

In the end, I've decided on a Giant Explore E+1 GTS. Given that I don't commute anymore (WFH) but may ride into the City occasionally in the future, the added versatility of the Explore makes sense. I want to do more recreational rides (including quite a few hills and all day rides) and the extra gears, front suspension and ergonomic grips and seat will make for a more enjoyable trekking bike. I also (weirdly) prefer the Sport motor over the Pro as the Range will be longer. Like you @BurnStar, I'm also holding out for a 2022 model which looks to be unchanged except for a 625Wh battery which will increase the range even more. I'm basing the 2022 specs off this page https://www.fahrrad-xxl.de/giant-explore-e-1-625wh-gts-p00058893m001 which is a European model but hopefully we'll get the same.

In the end, I've decided on a Giant Explore E+1 GTS. Given that I don't commute anymore (WFH) but may ride into the City occasionally in the future, the added versatility of the Explore makes sense. I want to do more recreational rides (including quite a few hills and all day rides) and the extra gears, front suspension and ergonomic grips and seat will make for a more enjoyable trekking bike. I also (weirdly) prefer the Sport motor over the Pro as the Range will be longer. Like you @BurnStar, I'm also holding out for a 2022 model which looks to be unchanged except for a 625Wh battery which will increase the range even more. I'm basing the 2022 specs off this page https://www.fahrrad-xxl.de/giant-explore-e-1-625wh-gts-p00058893m001 which is a European model but hopefully we'll get the same.T

That's the same page I also found about the 2022 model, the only page I could find. I'm a bit confused as to how Giant releases the new models as the Australian site has plenty of 2022 models not but not the Explore E+

That's the same page I also found about the 2022 model, the only page I could find. I'm a bit confused as to how Giant releases the new models as the Australian site has plenty of 2022 models not but not the Explore E+
Well I did ring Giant Australia and they said that the Explore should start to be available from about Weeks 36-37.

But given the way things are right now, that may end up getting pushed back.

Well I did ring Giant Australia and they said that the Explore should start to be available from about Weeks 36-37.

But given the way things are right now, that may end up getting pushed back.
They didn't give you pricing by any chance?

Noticed the rear hub had a developed a rumble when spinning the wheel. Stripped the cup & cone bearings and found the drive side balls had shed their chrome and the cone was well pitted. Grease was silver and full of metal. Non-drive side was clear and green, cone had a small amount of pitting - happily, both cups were fine. Bike has only done 6000km (dry), adjustment and lubrication was good. eBikes are just hard on stuff. $10 for a couple of cones and eighteen 1/4" ball bearings and it's smooth again.

IMG-8140.jpg

Finally got sick of having to unbolt the chainring everytime the chain comes off (I carry nitrite gloves and an allen key in my bag...), I stopped in a bike shop and bought one of those, it's minimalistic and blends in hoepfully it will stop the chain from getting wedged in.

I should have taken some pictures but I also re-packed both front and rear wheel bearings and the bike is so much smoother to ride now!
Your product link is not working any more -- curious the name/brand of the chain guide you got (just noticed URL mentions K-edge clamp-on road chain catcher, will search for that). I am looking at adding one, but my solution for chain getting jammed was having the LBS add a quick release chain link and carrying the matching pliers in my rear bag -- so far have not had to use it, but I just resumed regular commuting after pandemic WFH ended at my workplace. How many km did you have on your bike prior to having to re-pack the bearings?

Your product link is not working any more -- curious the name/brand of the chain guide you got (just noticed URL mentions K-edge clamp-on road chain catcher, will search for that). I am looking at adding one, but my solution for chain getting jammed was having the LBS add a quick release chain link and carrying the matching pliers in my rear bag -- so far have not had to use it, but I just resumed regular commuting after pandemic WFH ended at my workplace. How many km did you have on your bike prior to having to re-pack the bearings?
It is a K-edge clamp-on road bike chain catcher 34.9mm but it looks like it is discontinued, I guess any clamp-on 34.9 catcher will do the job, the bike shop I walked into just happenned to have the K-edge on the shelf.

My bike has just clocked 10,000km so it's done pretty well to not need a re-pack before then! (probably should have done it at 9000km) you will need some pretty thin spanners to tighten the cup and retaining nut.

It is a K-edge clamp-on road bike chain catcher 34.9mm but it looks like it is discontinued, I guess any clamp-on 34.9 catcher will do the job, the bike shop I walked into just happenned to have the K-edge on the shelf.

My bike has just clocked 10,000km so it's done pretty well to not need a re-pack before then! (probably should have done it at 9000km) you will need some pretty thin spanners to tighten the cup and retaining nut.
I'm using a similar product, haven't had the chain drop since it was installed. This is not on Quick-E but should work.

pxl_20210704_222654831-jpg.92474

Still single-pot calipers and a rear QR... so dumb on a heavy ebike. At least they've put sealed bearing hubs on it. Wish they'd update the reach to something more modern and better handling.
@gorse I'm curious about your comment about the reach. Can you be more specific. Should it be longer or shorter?

Back