Questions about "Distance To Go" and "Ah" setting on new display unit

Hey. I can tell you what distanse to go means. It means how low long distanse you can ride before you lose A bar on your battery indicator.
If that is so, it is woefully inaccurate on my bike. I *wish* I could get 15 miles on one bar! That is what that my display showed after my last full charge.

I was playing around with the new display unit I received (the updated LCD control unit) and I see there is another metric that comes up called, "Distance To Go." It will display in the user's choice of either mi or km.

What is this estimating? Distance To Go for what, exactly? On my display unit, even after resetting it, it was showing 6.3 mi to go. Can't be distance left on the battery because as you can see below, my battery is at 100%. I looked at the manual for the new display HERE, and there is no additional information about that reading.

View attachment 3780

Also, there is a new setting for the Ah. What is this? What should this be set to? It can be changed with the + and - keys. But again, no mention at all in the manual from Easy Motion about this setting, what it corresponds to, or how it should be set.

The manual leaves much to be desired as it's missing explaining all the features

@Crazy Lenny Ebikes @lilrich1959 @Undercover Brother
Went for an almost 20 mi ride today.

Observations on the new display:

1. The battery % amount left after 19.5 mi ride was estimated to be 41%. The # of bars down was 3.

2. When I pressed the button on on the battery itself, 2 lights were left.

3. The "distance to go" was as BadKnees said above -- it starts at some random low number that doesn't seem to match anything, then counts down. When it finally gets to 0, it then comes back with a new number/estimate (one that also didn't make sense). By the last few miles of my ride the "distance to go" was showing 19.1mi, which made a lot more sense than the 2.2 mi it was showing for awhile. The miles to go display would then alternate back and forth with showing 4 miles to go, then back to 19.1mi. Hmroo?

4. Why Easy Motion doesn't document this function is beyond me. What is the user supposed to understand from this?

5. According to today's reading, my expected range is right around 32 - 34 mi, if I stay in Eco and Standard modes the majority of the time. That's about what I had figured from previous rides before I had the new display.
If that is so, it is woefully inaccurate on my bike. I *wish* I could get 15 miles on one bar! That is what that my display showed after my last full charge.
when
When battery is fully charged, it shows the distance til empty. But when you start riding, it counts down to the point when you will loose the first bar.

I can get well over 30mi on full assist, including some big hills, so 15mi is way off. Miles to go until you lose a bar seems like an incredibly odd metric to present on the display, but I'll try to observe what it does as I drop bars on my commute home tonight.

Last edited:
For my 12mi commute, I started at 5 bars/100%, max assist, and miles to go was 15mi. During the ride, miles to go steadily dropped down to almost zero until I lost the 2nd bar (3 bars/55%), at which point it popped up to 19mi and began decreasing again. Miles to go did not increase when I lost the first bar (4 bars/75%).
Next theory?

On the Street, the "miles to go" values are wildly inaccurate starting from ~100% charge. However, after the charged decreases to ~60% or so, the sum of the total miles ridden for a given trip and the "miles to go" do not vary by more than approximately +/- 1 mile. In other words, the miles to go indicates the miles left on the battery within approximately +/- 1 mile, at least on the 1 ride where I verified this periodically for 10 or so miles.

According to the BH tech I talked to the other day the "Mi to go" feature has not yet been programmed by BH. So that begs the question..why is it in the display anyway?

The Miles to Go readout is not random and is in fact very ordered over a wide range of battery charge (see chart below). However, as can be observed in the chart, there is a discontinuity above approximately 75%.

If one extrapolates the data contained within the linear portion of the chart for % battery charge values between approximately 75 and 10%, the line intersects the y-axis at approximately 27 miles. The linear regression of that data yields the following equation: y = 0.2691*X - 0.045 and has a correlation coefficient of R^2 = 0.9999. In other words, the algorithm appears to be based upon the assumption that a full depletion of the battery will yield a trip distance of approximately 27 miles.

Given the extreme linear nature of the response, it appears that the algorithm used to generate the "To Go" readout is based upon the same information used to generate the Battery % Charge readout. That information appears to be contained within the electronics inside the battery enclosure, since both the "To Go," and the "% Battery" values return to the same readings when the battery is removed and reinserted into the frame. The presence of a "Fuel Gauge" on the battery supports this assumption.
Screen Shot 2015-08-23 at 8.12.31 AM.png

The Miles to Go readout is not random and is in fact very ordered over a wide range of battery charge (see chart below). However, as can be observed in the chart, there is a discontinuity above approximately 75%.

If one extrapolates the data contained within the linear portion of the chart for % battery charge values between approximately 75 and 10%, the line intersects the y-axis at approximately 27 miles. The linear regression of that data yields the following equation: y = 0.2691*X - 0.045 and has a correlation coefficient of R^2 = 0.9999. In other words, the algorithm appears to be based upon the assumption that a full depletion of the battery will yield a trip distance of approximately 27 miles.

Given the extreme linear nature of the response, it appears that the algorithm used to generate the "To Go" readout is based upon the same information used to generate the Battery % Charge readout. That information appears to be contained within the electronics inside the battery enclosure, since both the "To Go," and the "% Battery" values return to the same readings when the battery is removed and reinserted into the frame. The presence of a "Fuel Gauge" on the battery supports this assumption.
View attachment 4187

Neat analysis. You could send this to EmotionUSA tech people and educate them :)
Interesting discontinuity at ~75%
Bosch Nyon is coming up with a console that takes in your route .gpx data and considers your previous riding history to give miles to go estimate.

Note that in the graph above at no time does "mi to go" ever estimate a range higher than 20 mi. BH/Easy Motion claims the bike gets between 30mi and 60mi per charge, depending on lots of factors.

The highest mi to go my bike ever showed on this new console was 19 mi, and that was after the console started with "6.3 mi to go" on a full charge, then decreased down to zero over a few miles, then reset itself when mi to go ended at "0" and displayed 19 mi to go (similar to the graph above).

Whatever is being measured is not accurate, as far as I can tell.

The data from the graph above was generated with an 11.6ah battery. Values could be different, depending on battery size. It is apparent from the data that the values from 100% charge to 75% are not indicative of expected distance. If one wanted to use the values prior to the discontinuity, one could add "20" to the number (e.g. 20+6.3 = 26.3), which would provide a reasonable estimate of range.

However, this does not mean the actual distance on one battery charge will be 26.3 miles. The actual value could be 16 miles, 26 miles or 36 miles, or some other value. The BH manual makes a statement to the effect that the actual miles will depend on terrain, speed, input from the rider and other factors, which makes sense. Nevertheless, the algorithm seems to have ~27 miles as a range assumption, which is outside the 30-60 mile range referred to above.

It also seems that the "To Go" value will most accurately predict the actual miles to go, the closer the battery is to full depletion. That is to say, the accuracy will be better the closer the batter is to empty. This would require additional data to demonstrate; but is based upon the apparent simplicity of the algorithm and direct observation.

Easy Motion's top ah battery size is 11.6 at this time. That's the battery my Street uses (which is the same bike you have). My wish is for an accurate range estimate, right from the get-go, even if the battery is fully charged.

If Easy Motion plans on updating the display code, perhaps they could either eliminate the discontinuity altogether, or if that is not feasible, display no numbers in the "To Go" field for the first 25% of battery depletion. The current display generates "To Go" readings for the first 25% of charge that are confusing due to the discontinuity. The current algorithm gives the impression of being a "beta" version.

One can also imagine more advanced algorithms, that add a multiplier based upon the PAS level. Even more advanced algorithms could be envisioned, such as described by Ravi above that take into account previous or current ride data.

About six months ago a local bike store employee mentioned that a BH rep had indicated that they were working on a way to interface a cell phone with the bike. I believe he said something about an app that took into account tide terrain and adjusted power output based upon that. He was not very clear on the details. Perhaps a cell phone app could be another manner to add more advanced ride metric capability. Does anybody have any information regarding that topic?

Back