Question about Charger (Mixte) frame size

michal

Region
USA
City
Brooklyn, NY
Hey folks!

I was trying out a bunch of R&M bikes yesterday and, after being near certain that I'd favor a step-through model, was surprised at how much I liked the Charger. I'm a bit uncertain as to which frame size would be best for me though. For context, I'm 6'2" (1.88m) with a 32.5" inseam (82.5cm) and weigh about 200 lbs (91kg).

Ideally, I would like to get the Charger Mixte but the largest frame size is 49cm which is technically meant for people 5'6" – 6'1" (1.7 – 1.85m). Meanwhile, the regular, high-step Charger comes in a 53cm frame which, in theory, is what I should get since it's meant for people 5'11" – 6'7" (1.8 – 2.0m).

My LBS doesn't have a 53cm Charger in stock, but I was able to test ride the 49cm one and it felt comfortable during my 10-ish mile test ride.

Would going with the 49cm Mixte frame instead of the 53cm high-step one be a mistake?

Hey folks!

I was trying out a bunch of R&M bikes yesterday and, after being near certain that I'd favor a step-through model, was surprised at how much I liked the Charger. I'm a bit uncertain as to which frame size would be best for me though. For context, I'm 6'2" (1.88m) with a 32.5" inseam (82.5cm) and weigh about 200 lbs (91kg).

Ideally, I would like to get the Charger Mixte but the largest frame size is 49cm which is technically meant for people 5'6" – 6'1" (1.7 – 1.85m). Meanwhile, the regular, high-step Charger comes in a 53cm frame which, in theory, is what I should get since it's meant for people 5'11" – 6'7" (1.8 – 2.0m).

My LBS doesn't have a 53cm Charger in stock, but I was able to test ride the 49cm one and it felt comfortable during my 10-ish mile test ride.

Would going with the 49cm Mixte frame instead of the 53cm high-step one be a mistake?

Rent it for a couple of days.
What feels good for a 10 min ride will be different when you start spending multiple hours on it over many months.
Sizing is perhaps the most important when it comes to ride comfort and long term satisfaction.
49cm mixte would be at the limit for someone of your height.

My friend rides a charger Nuvinci 49cm frame. He is 5ft 10" and its perfect. I have ridden it too and it alright.
There might be difference between 49cm regular diamond frame Vs Mixte. Mixte may have slightly shorter reach.
But 53cm would be a better option for you.

Thanks for the advice, @Ravi Kempaiah and @JayVee!

I took the 49cm diamond frame Charger out for another test ride today. At this point, I've ridden it for around 30 miles / 2 hours. What's interesting is that I found my arms feeling a bit sore, and couldn't figure out why initially. I thought maybe the reach was too much (even though it was the medium frame), but it turned out to be the Ergon GA20 grips used on the GT Touring version I was riding. I couldn't find a comfortable way grab them and found myself really hiking up my shoulders as a result which was making my arms really stiff (hence the soreness).

After switching out the grips for the Ergon GP1s that come with the Vario model I'm interested in and slightly raising the seatpost, the whole ride felt much more comfortable. The GP1s offer much better palm support which stopped me from hiking up my shoulders and loosened up my arms quite a bit.

I'm planning on doing another test ride later in the week, but right now I'm leaning towards @JayVee's recommendation of going with the 49cm frame given how natural the ride felt after we switched out the grips. My LBS also mentioned that it's easier to make a smaller bike feel larger if necessary versus the other way around.

With that said..
  • Is there anything wrong with the seatpost being close to / at the minimum insertion point?
  • According to R&M, the only difference between the regular diamond frame and the Mixte frame is the standover height — is there any advantage to going with one frame style over another other then personal preference?

Being 1m84-85, I think the 53cm is too big for you. Hear me out...

The 53 has a reach of 440mm and a TT of 640mm... There is no way around it: that is simply a huge frame by any measurement. Make the same measurements on an existing bike of yours. I’ll bet the the reach doesn’t exceed 420mm and the TT 615mm.

The stack on the 49 cm Mixte is 675mm, which is already fairly high by industry standards. Moreover, there is a small riser stem on the Mixte from what I can see. This means it can accommodate a taller rider in a heads up posture without you having to do anything. That’s probably why you feel comfortable on it...

The stand over height on the 53 might fit you (84.5 cm) but I suspect you’ll find it to be just slightly high given your inseam.

Here’s what to do about the reach: demo the 49 again and whilst sitting on the bike statically place your hands 3 cms in front of the handlebars in order to simulate the 53. The 49 has a reach of 410mm so you need to make up for the missing 30mm. Does the 3 cm forward position feel more comfortable? If yes, then maybe 53 is the right size for you.

To give you an idea of how long R&M’s size 53 frame is in terms of reach, consider this: Haibike’s XXL intube frame design has a TT length of 640 and a reach of 434. And that’s the biggest frame Haibike sells. It’s a 25 inch frame...

Check it out here:

https://www.haibike.com
@JayVee Curious what your thoughts are on the Nevo's sizing.

I took the Nevo GT Vario HS out for a long test ride the other day and found myself in a similar situation — the 47cm (medium) frame size felt great, but the R&M site says I definitely belong on a 56cm (large) frame. Personally, I'm starting to think that I simply prefer the feeling of smaller frames with shorter reach.

I took the 49cm (medium) Charger out for another long test ride that same day and found my hands getting a bit sore — which wasn't the case with the 47cm (medium) Nevo. Wondering if that's the result of the Charger having a 41cm reach with 20 degree stem angle vs. the Nevo's 38cm reach and 45 degree stem angle.

The most important is that you don’t feel neck pain and numbness in the wrists. But for the 47 Nevo you also need room for your knees and need to have the ability to raise the saddle sufficiently for proper leg extension. If you have those elements and feel comfortable, then you should be good. Remember that the Charger is a slightly forward-aggressive position whereas the Nevo is a more of an upright type riding bike. It sounds to me like you prefer the Nevo upright style of riding better. That’s maybe something to consider in your purchase decision. I’m 55 but in 10 years I think I will get a step thru like the Nevo. It’s less stress getting on and off the bike and the heads up position is very natural to me. I rode one for about a month and then had trouble getting used to my forward agressive bike again...
Thanks again for the advice! I'll be on the lookout for neck/wrist discomfort, sufficient knee space, and proper leg extension the next time I ride the Nevo (no complaints during my last ride though).

I think you're right about me preferring the Nevo's slightly more relaxed and upright riding style. I've been riding bike share bikes for close to 10 years and their design is similar so it makes sense. I'm also fairly certain those bikes are technically "too small" for me which probably explains why I'm gravitating towards smaller frame sizes.

I’m 1,93 and have a 54 cm. I test drove a 49 cm. It worked but I opted for the bigger one.
Since it’s electric support its more forgiving to sizing for optimal performance as the bike does a lot of work.
So a 49 can work for you.

Any idea what kind of drives you will do? The 49 is more agile, easier to corner. The 54 feels big to me.

Just know that you may end up cycling more than now. If it’s city and lots of turning the 49 will be better.

I do not regret the choice but never had the agile feeling I had with the test drive on this bigger 54 one.
But when I test drove I did not expect to start using the bike so much, and only test drove for the route I thought I would be doing most of the time.

I’m 1,93 and have a 54 cm. I test drove a 49 cm. It worked but I opted for the bigger one.
Since it’s electric support its more forgiving to sizing for optimal performance as the bike does a lot of work.
So a 49 can work for you.

Any idea what kind of drives you will do? The 49 is more agile, easier to corner. The 54 feels big to me.

Just know that you may end up cycling more than now. If it’s city and lots of turning the 49 will be better.

I do not regret the choice but never had the agile feeling I had with the test drive on this bigger 54 one.
But when I test drove I did not expect to start using the bike so much, and only test drove for the route I thought I would be doing most of the time.
Thanks for sharing this! I was curious if other tall folks ran into similar situations.

I only do city riding so I really appreciate the increased maneuverability that comes with a smaller frame.

I actually ended up preferring the Nevo over the Charger, but ran into a similar situation. Technically, I fall within the upper end of the height range for the largest frame size (56cm). My LBS only had the small (43cm) and medium (47cm) frames, though, so I spent a bunch of time test riding the medium and it felt great — I rode it 50+ miles over the course of a few days and didn't want to change anything about it. That, coupled with the fact that getting the 56cm frame would essentially be a shot in the dark, convinced me to stick with the medium frame.

Did not want to influence you but if I wanted a step through frame I also would have taken a Nevo I think. Enjoy.

Back