Qualisports Dolphin vs Lectric XP

Mateo's Dad

I'm considering the purchase of my first ebike and have come across the Qualisports Dolphin. Previously I was looking at some of the other Qualisports ebikes such as the Nemo and Volador but decided the Dolphin is probably the better choice for me.

What do I like about the Dolphin?
  • Pre-order price - $1099
  • Discreet seat post battery design
  • Samsung 36V 14Ah lithium ion battery
  • Sine wave controller
  • 350 W motor
  • 50-60 miles pedal assisted range
  • 30 miles throttle only range
  • 20 MPH top speed (class 2)
  • 50 lbs
  • 20 x 2.35" tires
  • Includes fenders and lights
  • Front rack - $59, rear rack - $69
  • Replacement battery - $450
These highlights are what sell me on this ebike. I just wish there was more real world information available like owner reviews to help me finalize my purchase. I realize because it is a new unreleased (as of today) ebike this is just not possible so I may have to be a guinea pig to find out.

I also ran across the Lectric XP which looks like a great ebike for the price. At the current pre-order $899 price it has me intrigued to say the least.

What do I like about the Lectric XP?
  • Pre-order price - $899
  • Fat tire locking battery design
  • LG 48V 10.4Ah lithium ion battery
  • 500 W motor
  • 50 miles pedal assisted range
  • 25 miles throttle only range
  • 28 MPH top speed (class 3)
  • 59 lbs (dislike)
  • 20 x 4" tires
  • Includes fenders, integrated lights and rear rack
  • Free ($49) pannier with promo code
  • Replacement battery - $299
As you can see the Lectric XP has quite a bit of good things going for it. On paper, it even seems like a better deal than the Qualisports Dolphin! However I feel the same hesitation about purchasing it because of the lack of real world owner reviews. There are quite a few YouTube reviews praising the preproduction model and most have positive things to say so that is most definitely reassuring.

What do you guys think? Have you considered these two ebikes while shopping? I'd love to hear some insight as to which one you'd choose and why.

Last edited:
I'm considering the purchase of my first ebike and have come across the Qualisports Dolphin. Previously I was looking at some of the other Qualisports ebikes such as the Nemo and Volador but decided the Dolphin is probably the better choice for me.

• Sine wave controller
  • 350 W motor
  • 50 lbs
  • 20 x 2.35" tires
These highlights are what sell me on this ebike. I just wish there was more real world information available like owner reviews to help me finalize my purchase. I realize because it is a new unreleased (as of today) ebike this is just not possible so I may have to be a guinea pig to find out.

I also ran across the Lectric XP which looks like a great ebike for the price. At the current pre-order $899 price it has me intrigued to say the least.

• Pre-order price - $899
  • 500 W motor
  • 59 lbs (dislike)
  • 20 x 4" tires
As you can see the Lectric XP has quite a bit of good things going for it. On paper, it even seems like a better deal than the Qualisports Dolphin! However I feel the same hesitation about purchasing it because of the lack of real world owner reviews. There are quite a few YouTube reviews praising the preproduction model and most have positive things to say so that is most definitely reassuring.

What do you guys think? Have you considered these two ebikes while shopping? I'd love to hear some insight as to which one you'd choose and why.

I looked at both and pre-ordered the Dolphin. Some context: I live in NYC in a small 3rd-floor walkup apartment. Here are the things that swung me toward the Dolphin:

• Weight/size - I’m going to have to haul my bike up stairs every day, so I really didn’t like the added weight of the XP. The Dolphin isn’t exactly a super-light bike, but I’m willing to haul the 50 lbs for the features. The XP doesn’t offer much more value to me for the extra 9 lbs. Ditto for folded size since I’m going to be storing the bike in my apartment.
  • Rolling while folded - If I need to take my bike on the subway (ex. if raining) I want to be able to fold it up and roll it. The XP folding seems fine for storage, but the Dolphin can also be rolled while folded.
  • Aesthetics/design - I prefer the look and design of the Dolphin, and was impressed that a wallet-friendly electric bike had such a unique (and IMO smart) design. A lot of bikes in this price range seem to use the same handful of frames and just change out the parts and paint. The Lectric XP is fine, but didn’t blow me away. Additionally, the XP screams “electric bike!!!” (basically says so in big bright text right on the bike) while the Dolphin is more stealthy (battery in the seat post, design choices, low-key branding). While I fully intend to store my bike indoors while I’m at work and at home, I might have to lock it up on the street sometimes and don’t want to advertise to thieves.
Court has reviewed the Volador and Nemo favorably, so that gives me confidence in Qualisports. Sam from Electric Bike Center added in the comments for the Nemo video that in his opinion, the Dolphin was the “best from them.” It sounds like Court will be dropping the Dolphin review very soon (the bike will be released in the next week).

The Lectric XP reviews I’ve seen have seemed more like advertisements than in-depth or critical reviews, but maybe I’ve been spoiled by Court and EBR. At least we get to see the bike in action. Hopefully Court checks out the XP at some point. After seeing the bumpy rollout of the XP, I’m also wondering about the longevity of Lectric. I know nothing about making electric bikes, supply chains, delivery logistics, or running companies, so I’m not qualified to critique their choices or how those might be indicative of something bigger. It just gives me pause.

Honestly, if I lived in a house or RV (no stairs) and wanted to occasionally hit some dirt trails, this would be a harder choice. On paper, the XP looks like a great deal.

• Sine wave controller
  • 350 W motor
  • 50 lbs
  • 20 x 2.35" tires

• Pre-order price - $899
  • 500 W motor
  • 59 lbs (dislike)
  • 20 x 4" tires

The XP seems like the better bike. I have ordered 2. Be warned, long, long wait times for shipping/delivery. Ordered mine early August, and nothing yet, nothing has shipped etc.

The XP seems like the better bike. I have ordered 2. Be warned, long, long wait times for shipping/delivery. Ordered mine early August, and nothing yet, nothing has shipped etc.

I agree the XP seemed like the better overall deal and that is what I went with. I ordered late August, order still unfulfilled.

I'm patient so I don't mind the wait. I'm currently riding my folding bike and really enjoy it's simplicity and lightweight.

What I liked about the Dolphin was it's design. It doesn't scream ELECTRIC bike like the Lectric does. I'll be sure to put reflective tape over the branding as a determent.

I looked at both and pre-ordered the Dolphin. Some context: I live in NYC in a small 3rd-floor walkup apartment. Here are the things that swung me toward the Dolphin:

• Weight/size - I’m going to have to haul my bike up stairs every day, so I really didn’t like the added weight of the XP. The Dolphin isn’t exactly a super-light bike, but I’m willing to haul the 50 lbs for the features. The XP doesn’t offer much more value to me for the extra 9 lbs. Ditto for folded size since I’m going to be storing the bike in my apartment.
  • Rolling while folded - If I need to take my bike on the subway (ex. if raining) I want to be able to fold it up and roll it. The XP folding seems fine for storage, but the Dolphin can also be rolled while folded.
  • Aesthetics/design - I prefer the look and design of the Dolphin, and was impressed that a wallet-friendly electric bike had such a unique (and IMO smart) design. A lot of bikes in this price range seem to use the same handful of frames and just change out the parts and paint. The Lectric XP is fine, but didn’t blow me away. Additionally, the XP screams “electric bike!!!” (basically says so in big bright text right on the bike) while the Dolphin is more stealthy (battery in the seat post, design choices, low-key branding). While I fully intend to store my bike indoors while I’m at work and at home, I might have to lock it up on the street sometimes and don’t want to advertise to thieves.
Court has reviewed the Volador and Nemo favorably, so that gives me confidence in Qualisports. Sam from Electric Bike Center added in the comments for the Nemo video that in his opinion, the Dolphin was the “best from them.” It sounds like Court will be dropping the Dolphin review very soon (the bike will be released in the next week).

The Lectric XP reviews I’ve seen have seemed more like advertisements than in-depth or critical reviews, but maybe I’ve been spoiled by Court and EBR. At least we get to see the bike in action. Hopefully Court checks out the XP at some point. After seeing the bumpy rollout of the XP, I’m also wondering about the longevity of Lectric. I know nothing about making electric bikes, supply chains, delivery logistics, or running companies, so I’m not qualified to critique their choices or how those might be indicative of something bigger. It just gives me pause.

Honestly, if I lived in a house or RV (no stairs) and wanted to occasionally hit some dirt trails, this would be a harder choice. On paper, the XP looks like a great deal.

Thank you for your detailed response! I fully agree carrying even a light bike up 3 flights of stairs daily can become a pain. Weight matters! Also a more compact folder also makes a big difference when space is limited. I can imagine rent in NYC and square footage is not cheap.

Good point on the ability to roll the bike while folded. That and the fact that you can sit on the saddle when folded while waiting for your train or bus to arrive is quite nice when there's no available seating nearby.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Dolphin's aesthetics and design. I prefer it over the XP for all the reasons you mentioned. I don't want to draw attention to myself and prefer to remain low key.

I see that the pre-order sales are now finished. I pre-ordered my XP in late August and it still hasn't shipped. I wish I could've bought the Dolphin too. I almost thought about getting both, comparing the two for a month or two then selling one locally. Potentially I could've made a small profit or at least broke even.

Please let us know how your experiences with the Dolphin! I'd love to know some real world distance/range stats.

@Mateo's Dad We have a Qualisports Dolphin and a Lectric XP Step Thru with shipping in final transport segment (after similar long wait). For sure, there are weak spots and compromises with both.

Top speed is often artificially governed by power-assist controller settings - to reduce hub-motor heat and preserve lifespan during a wide spectrum of possible consumer climates, terrain, and application. Knowing that, one of the first things we did was disable the nanny power-assist controls on the Dolphin, and retrofit with a 11t freewheel. It can now easily cruise with traffic at 28-30mph. IMO, as a cyclist, it's much safer to move at a comfortable traffic speed, and not be perceived as a mobile chicane to be overcome by aggressive drivers behind you - that's when accidents happen.

The Dolphin battery is colossal, in hindsight, too big for my needs, and very likely the full 60 mile range on flat even pavement. It's also a $450 Achilles heel in terms of bike security. It doesn't lock at all, so had to create a custom 10mm steel cable "leash" to tether the seat/seatpost (battery) to the frame, to leave the bike locked and unattended for short, high-traffic, daylight periods. Wasn't that hard to do, but Qualisports should offer/bundle an OEM solution to nearly every buyer's real-world security situation. The pigtail battery connector also has some exposure if the commute involves vegetated trails.

On the Lectric, we already don't like the battery key positioning, the frame decals, pedals, knobby-tires, 14t freewheel, the missing front rack M6 adapter (found on almost every other folder), and the missing M5 bottle cage rivnuts for standard accessories (like our Boomerang GPS bike alarm). May have to drill some holes and pull some rivnut anchors, not a huge dealbreaker. Will post pics on the Lectric board in the New Year.

Last edited:
@Mateo's Dad We have a Qualisports Dolphin and a Lectric XP Step Thru with shipping in final transport segment (after similar long wait). For sure, there are weak spots and compromises with both.

Top speed is often artificially governed by power-assist controller settings - to reduce hub-motor heat and preserve lifespan during a wide spectrum of possible consumer climates, terrain, and application. Knowing that, one of the first things we did was disable the nanny power-assist controls on the Dolphin, and retrofit with a 11t freewheel. It can now easily cruise with traffic at 28-30mph. IMO, as a cyclist, it's much safer to move at a comfortable traffic speed, and not be perceived as a mobile chicane to be overcome by aggressive drivers behind you - that's when accidents happen.

The Dolphin battery is colossal, in hindsight, too big for my needs, and very likely the full 60 mile range on flat even pavement. It's also a $450 Achilles heel in terms of bike security. It doesn't lock at all, so had to create a custom 10mm steel cable "leash" to tether the seat/seatpost (battery) to the frame, to leave the bike locked and unattended for short, high-traffic, daylight periods. Wasn't that hard to do, but Qualisports should offer/bundle an OEM solution to nearly every buyer's real-world security situation. The pigtail battery connector also has some exposure if the commute involves vegetated trails.

On the Lectric, we already don't like the battery key positioning, the frame decals, pedals, knobby-tires, 14t freewheel, the missing front rack M6 adapter (found on almost every other folder), and the missing M5 bottle cage rivnuts for standard accessories (like our Boomerang GPS bike alarm). May have to drill some holes and pull some rivnut anchors, not a huge dealbreaker. Will post pics on the Lectric board in the New Year.
Dolphin owner here. Mind elaborating on how you disabled the power-assist controls and got it up to 28 mph? I've upped the speed cap in the menus but the bike seems to run out of steam around 22-23 mph.

Dolphin owner here. Mind elaborating on how you disabled the power-assist controls and got it up to 28 mph? I've upped the speed cap in the menus but the bike seems to run out of steam around 22-23 mph.
@trevorm, you can effectively set an unlimited "max trip speed" by raising it from 25kph to something ridiculous, like 70kph. I vaguely recall the default P1 setting from Kunteng was only about 87% of the potential full throttle. So I set that to 100, which used to be the QS default. I also like to have full thumb throttle acceleration available from stop lights and street crossings before any truck can broadside me. I have to imagine bike manufacturers dial it back a bit to save the rear motor, which can overheat and burn out. Best to have it pinned for short periods only, or keep it in pedal assist mode most of the time to let it cool between bursts. I'd rather do that with my brain than with the nanny setting. So I have my C3 at 8 (Power Assist memory from my last ride). C5 is 10 on mine = MAX POWER on your command!!!! C7 is cruise control to give your thumb a break...0 = off, 1=on. C9 creates a security pass combo to lockout the battery and controller...0 = off, 1 = on. I've posted a link to the Kunteng KTLCD5 Manual and thread here with QS OEM P and C settings. Hope it helps.

C5 parameter definition table: C5 value Maximum current value(A)
00 Three level slow start/ Maximum current value
01 Two level slow start/ Maximum current value
02 One level slow start/ Maximum current value
03 Maximum current value÷2.00
04 Maximum current value÷1.50
05 Maximum current value÷1.33
06 Maximum current value÷1.25
07 Maximum current value÷1.20
08 Maximum current value÷1.15
09 Maximum current value÷1.10
10 Maximum current value

@trevorm, you can effectively set an unlimited "max trip speed" by raising it from 25kph to something ridiculous, like 70kph. I vaguely recall the default P1 setting from Kunteng was only about 87% of the potential full throttle. So I set that to 100, which used to be the QS default. I also like to have full thumb throttle acceleration available from stop lights and street crossings before any truck can broadside me. I have to imagine bike manufacturers dial it back a bit to save the rear motor, which can overheat and burn out. Best to have it pinned for short periods only, or keep it in pedal assist mode most of the time to let it cool between bursts. I'd rather do that with my brain than with the nanny setting. So I have my C3 at 8 (Power Assist memory from my last ride). C5 is 10 on mine = MAX POWER on your command!!!! C7 is cruise control to give your thumb a break...0 = off, 1=on. C9 creates a security pass combo to lockout the battery and controller...0 = off, 1 = on. I've posted a link to the Kunteng KTLCD5 Manual and thread here with QS OEM P and C settings. Hope it helps.

C5 parameter definition table: C5 valueMaximum current value(A)
00Three level slow start/ Maximum current value
01Two level slow start/ Maximum current value
02One level slow start/ Maximum current value
03Maximum current value÷2.00
04Maximum current value÷1.50
05Maximum current value÷1.33
06Maximum current value÷1.25
07Maximum current value÷1.20
08Maximum current value÷1.15
09Maximum current value÷1.10
10Maximum current value
@goldconch awesome, thanks for the info! Excited to experiment later.

Somewhat related - Any chance you know anything about intercepting/reading data to/from the controller? I've been wondering what it would take to install a bluetooth transmitter and build an app to operate the bike.

@goldconch awesome, thanks for the info! Excited to experiment later.

Somewhat related - Any chance you know anything about intercepting/reading data to/from the controller? I've been wondering what it would take to install a bluetooth transmitter and build an app to operate the bike.
@trevorm, the Qualisports line use the newer Kunteng software and controllers. There should be a good range of newer displays you could swap in place of the OEM KT-LCD5, so long as they have the correct harness. For example, I use a full-color late 2019 KT-LCD8H w USB power port, and it has much easier to access C and P menus. There is a Bluetooth transmitter available for Apple iOS phones, which fully replaces the heads-up display, if you want that functionality, and are willing to mount/dismount your $1000 phone and all it's contents to your handlebars (not me!) KT-BLE01 is about $75 on Aliexpress - but I note it has the wrong dongle end for our controller.

36 voltmotors are generally limited in RPM by voltage, simply put a 3 phase 48v motor will spin at more Rpms than the 36v motors( generally) the 11 tooth freewheel would allow them to attain more speed.I had a bike that wasn't ghost pedaling at 35+mph with an 11 tooth freewheel sprocket.( it was a FT 26" cruiser bike)48 volt Bafang motor

36 voltmotors are generally limited in RPM by voltage, simply put a 3 phase 48v motor will spin at more Rpms than the 36v motors( generally) the 11 tooth freewheel would allow them to attain more speed.I had a bike that wasn't ghost pedaling at 35+mph with an 11 tooth freewheel sprocket.( it was a FT 26" cruiser bike)48 volt Bafang motor
Thank you @kmccune for mentioning the freewheel swap-out, that part is a good idea for stability and maintaining higher traffic mingling speeds @trevorm. The Shimano 14-28t freewheel set that comes with QS, Lectric, and a lot of ebikes can be swapped-out for an 11-28t freewheel. Deleting those 3 teeth allows >20% longer top gear ratio. Have a search, there are many threads going on that. Shimano seem to be preoccupied on making cassettes these days rather than the older freewheel tech (which they had and then discontinued), despite the more recent move back to freewheels for hub-motored ebikes. Right now, there only seem to be 28t (flat terrain) and 38t (hilly commute sections) versions and they're $30-40, plus the 12-splined FR1.3 Park Tool for around $10 (there are cheaper ones, but I'd definitely splurge for name-brand on that). If you have an old rag, you don't really need the chain whip, which can run another $30+. Easy swap out if you're comfortable changing tires, otherwise a bike tech can sort it in minutes. Full disclosure: I am also running a 53t crankset, up from the 52t OEM setup...another 2% reduction in crank cadence.

Last edited:
Thank you @kmcune for mentioning the freewheel swap-out, that part is a good idea for stability and maintaining higher traffic mingling speeds @trevorm. The Shimano 14-28t freewheel set that comes with QS, Lectric, and a lot of ebikes can be swapped-out for an 11-28t freewheel. Deleting those 3 teeth allows >20% longer top gear ratio. Have a search, there are many threads going on that. Shimano seem to be preoccupied on making cassettes these days rather than the older freewheel tech (which they had and then discontinued), despite the more recent move back to freewheels for hub-motored ebikes. Right now, there only seem to be 28t (flat terrain) and 38t (hilly commute sections) versions and they're $30-40, plus the 12-splined FR1.3 Park Tool for around $10 (there are cheaper ones, but I'd definitely splurge for name-brand on that). If you have an old rag, you don't really need the chain whip, which can run another $30+. Easy swap out if you're comfortable changing tires, otherwise a bike tech can sort it in minutes. Full disclosure: I am also running a 53t crankset, up from the 52t OEM setup...another 2% reduction in crank cadence.
Impact wrench will make short work of removing an old freewheel I removed a very old 6 spd yesterday and I couldn't budge it with a wrench and chainwhip. Used a Park 1.3( there is also a version for falcon parts if I remember correctly)

Last edited:
Impact wrench will make short work of removing an old freewheel I removed a very old 6 spd yesterday and I couldn't budge it with a wrench and chainwhip. Used a Park 1.3( there is also a version for falcon parts if I remember correctly)
@kmccune, my Shimano came off pretty easily, and I retained it in case of any QC problem with the DNP...there were some reviews a few years ago about catastrophic failures etc. Knock on wood, so far so good with mine...1yr and counting. I have another one for install on the Lectric as soon as it arrives.

@kmccune, my Shimano came off pretty easily, and I retained it in case of any QC problem with the DNP...there were some reviews a few years ago about catastrophic failures etc. Knock on wood, so far so good with mine...1yr and counting. I have another one for install on the Lectric as soon as it arrives.
Did you get the 11-32?

Did you get the 11-32?
@kmccune, my commute is super flat where I am, so went with the 11-28t. Truth be told, the only time I'd ever shift out of the 11t was if my battery was down to one bar and I needed to conserve juice. On the Quali Dolphin, it has a huge seatpost battery (maybe too much battery) and I've only done that a couple times, after perhaps three or four commutes (and many weeks) without charging. Got the same one for the Lectric.

@kmccune, my commute is super flat where I am, so went with the 11-28t. Truth be told, the only time I'd ever shift out of the 11t was if my battery was down to one bar and I needed to conserve juice. On the Quali Dolphin, it has a huge seatpost battery (maybe too much battery) and I've only done that a couple times, after perhaps three or four commutes (and many weeks) without charging. Got the same one for the Lectric.
Cool.

Thank you @kmccune for mentioning the freewheel swap-out, that part is a good idea for stability and maintaining higher traffic mingling speeds @trevorm. The Shimano 14-28t freewheel set that comes with QS, Lectric, and a lot of ebikes can be swapped-out for an 11-28t freewheel. Deleting those 3 teeth allows >20% longer top gear ratio. Have a search, there are many threads going on that. Shimano seem to be preoccupied on making cassettes these days rather than the older freewheel tech (which they had and then discontinued), despite the more recent move back to freewheels for hub-motored ebikes. Right now, there only seem to be 28t (flat terrain) and 38t (hilly commute sections) versions and they're $30-40, plus the 12-splined FR1.3 Park Tool for around $10 (there are cheaper ones, but I'd definitely splurge for name-brand on that). If you have an old rag, you don't really need the chain whip, which can run another $30+. Easy swap out if you're comfortable changing tires, otherwise a bike tech can sort it in minutes. Full disclosure: I am also running a 53t crankset, up from the 52t OEM setup...another 2% reduction in crank cadence.
@goldconch thanks, this is great info! I assume that reduces the “hamster-wheel” effect at higher speeds? That’s one thing that really bugs me about the bike.

I assume that reduces the “hamster-wheel” effect at higher speeds?
@trevorm Yes. On flat ground, or descent, a noticeable 21.4% improvement in mechanical leverage. No more over-cadence, or pretending you have a gear you don't have, you'll be able to pedal for real and have some purchase on the chain, which is more stable. Be mentally aware that the terrain and road hazards will be coming at you faster too, and you'll need to look further ahead, and factor for longer braking distances, adhesion, maybe have to do a pothole bunny hop or two, etc. - faster is not for everyone. There's only one mild aesthetic complaint: that it is silver cro-mo, and not stealthy black like the Shimano.

Back