Pulled the triger on the Aspen+, all is well

Everlong

Region
Canada
Before reading this i must say that i have owned a Rad Rover5 last year and loved it. Sold it at the end
of last summer due to life.

Just purchased the Aspen+ for the May delivery, according to their site. Made the decision pretty quick.
Basically just looked at it, read some specs and clicked
Not sure if im regretting it or not. Just noticed it does not have provisions for a rear rack? WTF???

The other thing that bothers me is that my Rad had a Front light (shitty one - but wiring was there for an upgrade),
rear light that would come on when braking and all of these were controlled by the Display/buttons.

I do have a great Fenix bicycle light that i have used before, but wanted to avoid using extra items that need charging
on it, and as someone mentioned there is no room on the horns!? and my light comes with a button for different
functions.

Oh, and no fenders :(((

Ehhhhhh, should have done more research :((((
Damn

Attachments

• Rad.jpg
    Rad.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 295
I cannot speak for the Aspen, which is the fat version of my moscow, but the moscow for me has been
a powerful, reliable, & forgiving bike, sturdy, not fancy. At 3k mi., I´ve had flats, popped a cpl. spokes,
replaced brake pads & chain. That´s it. I modified a second hand rack to fit & also carry a 2nd battery.
For around $25 I got a powerful rechargeable front light & rear with turn signals off ebay. They´re light, interchangeable with other bikes, & can charge right off the USB on the bike´s battery. My rack serves
as a rear fender, but in any event, I consider fenders a nuisance, & I live in the rainforest.
I think you´ll be okay.😌PICT0018.jpg P.S. A dbl leg kickstand is a handy thing to have.

Last edited:
Glad you had a good experience with Rad. My opinion is they can be overpriced, at least considering the compnents but maybe the bike is just well put together making it worth somewhat lower components. I may also be biased though because a friend of mine had a tough time with their customer service. In the past, for the price point I felt NCM was a good buy all around. They bumped the prices on their plus bikes not too long ago and it is getting the point where you can get a Bafang setup on another brand for not a whole lot more. Don't get me wrong, the Moscow/Aspen bikes are nice with Das Kit, but I do think Bafang is a step up in my experience using them. I'm not necessarily saying they are better quality, but the software gives a better experience (controller/display). So bottom line what I'm saying is for the price tag of a Aspen+ or Moscow+, I think it's a bit overpriced when not on sale, but that said they are pretty solid bikes. The non-plus bikes are a steal, despite the lower components. I have a Moscow+ and have thought about getting an Aspen just for the spare battery and a bike to use in the winter. $1150 for a fat bike ebike? Can't beat that even with mech. brakes and a hub motor.

Last edited:
. I have a Moscow+ and have thought about getting an Aspen just for the spare battery and a bike to use in the winter. $1150 for a fat bike ebike? Can't beat that even with mech. brakes and a hub motor.
That thought has occurred to me as well. Didn´t realize the aspen was now as cheap as a moscow. Very
tempting, even the +, but I just don´t need one right now. I´m just not off road enuff for an Aspen. I got a
moscow cuz it seemed the most bike for the money & I´m very happy with the decision. The 16ah battery
is $400 from leoncycle in seattle: I paid that for a 2nd 13ah last year. They out perform the 21ah left from
my juiced CCS.(or maybe it´s just the bike)

Before reading this i must say that i have owned a Rad Rover5 last year and loved it. Sold it at the end
of last summer due to life.

Just purchased the Aspen+ for the May delivery, according to their site. Made the decision pretty quick.
Basically just looked at it, read some specs and clicked
Not sure if im regretting it or not. Just noticed it does not have provisions for a rear rack? WTF???

The other thing that bothers me is that my Rad had a Front light (shitty one - but wiring was there for an upgrade),
rear light that would come on when braking and all of these were controlled by the Display/buttons.

I do have a great Fenix bicycle light that i have used before, but wanted to avoid using extra items that need charging
on it, and as someone mentioned there is no room on the horns!? and my light comes with a button for different
functions.

Oh, and no fenders :(((

Ehhhhhh, should have done more research :((((
Damn
Not sure if you’re regretting it? Sure sounds like it!
Guess I’m wondering why you sold a bike you loved!?

For a rear rack you can either use a beam type rack that mounts on your seatpost or the tetrarack by topeak

TA2410M2_L-mtxbag.jpg

For fenders, I like the easy on easy off SKS blade set also available at REI and other bike shops
sks-blade-set.jpg

As to lights, all my bikes came with integrated lights that I rarely use. I mostly ride in the daytime and very few integrated lights have a blinking mode which is far more effective in getting motorist attention during the daytime. Additionally, my own preference is to keep as much battery power as possible for actually moving the bike rather than running peripherals. So I actually prefer rechargeable lights to integrated.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Topeak rack fits fat bikes.
I have that rack on my 26er with 2in wheels. The legs that attach to the stays are movable. They spread. Whether they are long enough for a given bike ... IDK.

BUT the frame pieces of the rack itself looks to be about 4 inches apart.

Gentelmen, thank you for all the ideas and responses. Once i get the bike i will go from there and report :)
Thanks again

Is it wrong to ask people who seek advice to include some details or at least providing a link, as you just did about the bike up front, rather than making people who are willing to advise, dig around for all that info?

Glad you had a good experience with Rad. My opinion is they can be overpriced, at least considering the compnents but maybe the bike is just well put together making it worth somewhat lower components. I may also be biased though because a friend of mine had a tough time with their customer service. In the past, for the price point I felt NCM was a good buy all around. They bumped the prices on their plus bikes not too long ago and it is getting the point where you can get a Bafang setup on another brand for not a whole lot more. Don't get me wrong, the Moscow/Aspen bikes are nice with Das Kit, but I do think Bafang is a step up in my experience using them. I'm not necessarily saying they are better quality, but the software gives a better experience (controller/display). So bottom line what I'm saying is for the price tag of a Aspen+ or Moscow+, I think it's a bit overpriced when not on sale, but that said they are pretty solid bikes. The non-plus bikes are a steal, despite the lower components. I have a Moscow+ and have thought about getting an Aspen just for the spare battery and a bike to use in the winter. $1150 for a fat bike ebike? Can't beat that even with mech. brakes and a hub motor.
These days with the Covid it's really hard to purchase anything. Everyone is sold out of bikes and manufacturers take advantage of it i guess - high pricing. Don't mind that much the price increase. I wish i was riding already ;)

I hit that aspen site; spec said 250w?!? That´s EU? the ones here are definitely 500w. The aspen does have a
comfortable ride, but I chose the moscow & narrower tires because I thought it would have the more range of the 2.
That has been my experience thus far anyway. I didn´t buy it for snow or looking out for cactus in the desert,
just a general utility bike for getting around. It´s paid for itself in terms of gas, insurance, & fees twice over.

I hit that aspen site; spec said 250w?!? That´s EU? the ones here are definitely 500w. The aspen does have a
comfortable ride, but I chose the moscow & narrower tires because I thought it would have the more range of the 2.
That has been my experience thus far anyway. I didn´t buy it for snow or looking out for cactus in the desert,
just a general utility bike for getting around. It´s paid for itself in terms of gas, insurance, & fees twice over.
I'll be riding it on the beach occasionally so fat tires are required.

I'll be riding it on the beach occasionally so fat tires are required.
I´ve no problem on the beach if I stay in moist hard pack. I´ve seen folks ride road bikes in the zone.
Even fat tires can have trouble in really loose dry sand. The real advantage is a more comfortable ride.
My bike can be a bone jarring experience at times.

Back