Project: 2021 Giant Trance X 29 ebike conversion

ejphotos

Region
USA
Hey all, new here. Signed up on a couple other ebike forums but this forum seems to have much more traffic.
Want to get an ebike to begin commuting to work (21 miles one way).
I test rode a couple so far: a Trek Allant+ 8S (nice bike, pricey too lol) and an Aventon Level (also a nice bike with a much friendlier price tag).
Then I got to thinking - why not just convert one of my acoustic bikes to electric?
So, that's what I'm planning to do with my 2021 Giant Trance X 29

1620418504436.png

This bike has a BB92 bottom bracket (press fit). Planning to go with the CYC X1 Pro Gen 2 OR the X1 Stealth motor, as they have great fitment options for this bottom bracket size, and it will keep the chain line straight.
More than likely going to mount the battery (52v) on the top tube, as there isn't enough room inside the triangle based on the templates. I might be able to mount the battery on the bottom of the down tube, but don't want to risk any rocks being kicked up and damaging the casing, although I've heard they are pretty tough.

Hey all, new here. Signed up on a couple other ebike forums but this forum seems to have much more traffic.
Want to get an ebike to begin commuting to work (21 miles one way).
I test rode a couple so far: a Trek Allant+ 8S (nice bike, pricey too lol) and an Aventon Level (also a nice bike with a much friendlier price tag).
Then I got to thinking - why not just convert one of my acoustic bikes to electric?
So, that's what I'm planning to do with my 2021 Giant Trance X 29

View attachment 86879

This bike has a BB92 bottom bracket (press fit). Planning to go with the CYC X1 Pro Gen 2 OR the X1 Stealth motor, as they have great fitment options for this bottom bracket size, and it will keep the chain line straight.
More than likely going to mount the battery (52v) on the top tube, as there isn't enough room inside the triangle based on the templates. I might be able to mount the battery on the bottom of the down tube, but don't want to risk any rocks being kicked up and damaging the casing, although I've heard they are pretty tough.
Nice bike, full suspension will make a nice conversion.
As far as the battery placement on the outside of the bottom tube, it would make for a much better center of gravity, you can always put a small mud flap on the front to protect the battery, make sure you measure the clearence with the front suspension fully compressed.

Nice bike, full suspension will make a nice conversion.
As far as the battery placement on the outside of the bottom tube, it would make for a much better center of gravity, you can always put a small mud flap on the front to protect the battery, make sure you measure the clearence with the front suspension fully compressed.
Thanks! It's a great bike. I've taken it on all sorts of trips, including downhill parks.
I'm not too concerned with center of gravity, the top tube sweeps down pretty low since it's a medium frame, and I'm about 220 pounds...so I wouldn't notice a lower center of gravity lol.
Although, yeah it would have plenty of clearance. It's got a pretty slack head tube angle (the picture I posted was shot from a weird angle so it's hard to see that.)

20200826_162358-3024x2268-2268x1701.jpg

20201002_160759.jpg

Thanks! It's a great bike. I've taken it on all sorts of trips, including downhill parks.
I'm not too concerned with center of gravity, the top tube sweeps down pretty low since it's a medium frame, and I'm about 220 pounds...so I wouldn't notice a lower center of gravity lol.
Although, yeah it would have plenty of clearance. It's got a pretty slack head tube angle (the picture I posted was shot from a weird angle so it's hard to see that.)

View attachment 86913

View attachment 86914
Good point, even with heavier riders, a high center of gravity bike, will feel or handle heavier while cornering.

I might even be able to mount it on the bottom of the top tube.
I guess I'll have to see once I get it.

Just my opinion, but if it were me, I’d sell the bike (I have this bike in Carbon non-motorized- it’s a great bike!) and buy the the factory built Giant Trance X e-bike.

Mounting a heavy battery on the top tube will ruin the dynamics of the bike, and won’t let you get on or off it very easily.

Also the bend in the downtube is going to make it difficult to mount the CYC stealth. It will likely be forced to hang super low and will cause clearance issues.

CYC has full scale printouts for their motors on their website, print it out and see where the motor would end up before you commit.

The CYC pro is slightly longer and might clear a bit better, but its more expensive.

Good luck!

Back