Prodigy and low pedal cadence

Mike G

Region
USA
City
Bakersfield
I'm looking for my first ebike and the Prodigy looks very inviting with the mid-drive motor. But I have a question about pedal cadence. I'm 72 and my natural cadence is 60-62 RPM. Pedaling faster except for short distances is difficult unless I have to really drop my gearing down for a hill. Will my natural cadence limit my ability to fully utilize the bike? I'm not looking to always be at top speed but what could I expect on flat ground, no wind, 220# rider, in top gear at my cadence. What would my cadence have to be to reach top speed under those conditions?

I have a Prodigy ST and will be putting a smaller chainring on to bring up the cadence as I spend too much time in the lower gears. I need to use the upper gearing more. The Prodigy is a great machine. I doubt for the money you will find a better bike. Buy the Ride1Up Prodigy. You will be thrilled with it.

I'm looking for my first ebike and the Prodigy looks very inviting with the mid-drive motor. But I have a question about pedal cadence. I'm 72 and my natural cadence is 60-62 RPM. Pedaling faster except for short distances is difficult unless I have to really drop my gearing down for a hill. Will my natural cadence limit my ability to fully utilize the bike? I'm not looking to always be at top speed but what could I expect on flat ground, no wind, 220# rider, in top gear at my cadence. What would my cadence have to be to reach top speed under those conditions?
You will still have the cassette to adjust the cadence and if the high gear is to fast, you can install a bigger chain ring, which is what I did to my Trek.
I went from 48 to 52 teeth and love it.
I can comfortably pedal at 25 mph, and add input up to 31 mph.

Hav
Great website to check out cadence at speed for various gearing is https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

I have the Roadster with 64x20 single gear, so I'm roughly speed = 3 x RPM, or ~20 mph = 60 rpm, 30 mph = 120 rpm!

Plugging in what I think is the Prodigy info gets you this?

Attachments

• prodigycalcs.jpg
    prodigycalcs.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 247
You didn't state which Prodigy model, and that makes a difference. The ST and XR models have a larger chainring than the XC. So, it sounds like you would prefer the lower cadence possible with the ST and XR models.

You didn't state which Prodigy model, and that makes a difference. The ST and XR models have a larger chainring than the XC. So, it sounds like you would prefer the lower cadence possible with the ST and XR models.
Yes, I'm looking at the ST. I can still throw my leg over my Giant Escape, if I really lean it over, but it's always a good idea to plan ahead when you've already had one hip replacement!

Yes, I'm looking at the ST. I can still throw my leg over my Giant Escape, if I really lean it over, but it's always a good idea to plan ahead when you've already had one hip replacement!
A person could consider a low step though as an option - for health reasons. It real nice not lifting my leg in the air.

A person could consider a low step though as an option - for health reasons. It real nice not lifting my leg in the air.
I'll second that. My wife dared me to try a true step-thru when we were shopping for ebikes. Instantly became a non-negotiable spec.

At 75, I have nothing to prove. If my frame flexes for lack of a top tube, I can't feel it — even on bumpy trails.

Back