ProdecoTech Pedal Assist, Torque Sensor

This is awesome! Thanks for the share... I saw these during a tour last year and was pretty excited to see ProdecoTech offering pedal assist for their bikes. At the time, I'm not sure it was public so I just sort of filed it away mentally. Sometimes the prototypes and demos never make it to market or change drastically before they do but this looks about like what I saw and while I didn't get to test ride with it, the demo was pretty convincing :D

This video reminds me of the 80's with the cross fades and stuff! or that show on PBS with the monotone narrator where they explain how all kinds of stuff is made... like crayons and tooth brushes etc. :p

I contacted Prodecotech. I'm going to purchase directly through them. I was told the controller limits speed to 20mph, so adding this won't increase top speed. I'm still buying it though. It only makes sense for me. I pedal most of the time I ride. It will be nice to stop holding the throttle constantly. The way I figure it is this: I bought my bike new for $1,400 including tax. Adding this feature still keeps my total investment to under $1,600. It's a no brainer for me.

A side note. I emailed Prodecotech on Sunday. Today is Tuesday. I got a personal call from someone at their Florida headquarters. They told me they were going to email me, but looked me up. When they saw I was registered they decided to call me instead to answer any questions I had. I call that good customer service!

Quick update. My bike is at the shop where I bought it. The total charge will be around $230 including install. I know I could install it myself, but going this route will make sure I keep my warranty. I'll update once I get the bike back and can test it out.

This is great! I've been waiting for this. Where can I buy this? Can you provide a link?
Hey Justin, glad you found the post useful. Welcome to the Com! I agree with your thoughts on having both throttle and PAS-torque sensor... best of both worlds. Nice that that ProdecoTech preconfigured the controller to accept a plug and play Beamts sensor. Beamts supplies a lot of sensors for the ebike industry. I find that torque sensors are far more responsive to pedal power than cadence sensors. Good luck with your new build!

Update...I got a call from the shop today. My bike is done and ready for pick up. I'll be getting my bike Monday after work, because my weekend is busy. I'll report back Monday evening on my thoughts. The shop tech told me it works really well, and it's quite responsive. I can't wait to try it for myself.

Got the Beam Torque Sensor installed on Justin's Phantom Friday. FYI of course the install is not just 123 like the video shows but no surprises either, no further instructions come with the part. A couple of things to be aware for the DIY though are in order. Foremost as with any repair or modification to your bike make sure you have the proper tools. Required for this procedure are Phillips screwdriver,metric allen wrenches, Crank puller and bottom bracket removal tool. If your bike is still under warrantee check with the manufacture if you can do the upgrade yourself. The procedure itself is pretty straightforward and follows the video in general. Be aware that the wiring on most Prodeco Tech bikes is pretty crammed into the controller enclosure, patience and having the bike upside down helps, a bike repair stand makes this somewhat easier. When testing for proper operation and adjustment be aware that this type of pedal assist senses torque so simply turning the pedals while in the stand will not provide enough force on the load sensor to engage the motor. You can do initial tests by pushing gently down on the roller bolt make sure that the wheel and all moving parts are clear of obstructions and or body parts. Adjustment is accomplished by trial and error. The most sensitive setting is accomplished by having the rearward mounting bolt in the top set of slots all the way back, and the front bolt in the bottom slot. In this position the sensor will sit canted in the mount with the rear higher. Once installed test ride for proper operation and adjust as necessary. The unit seems very responsive and adds a feature to your Prodecotech bike that was sorely needed. Due to the wiring set up on the sensor it seems that it could be utilized for any electric bike that has the same configuration of throttle, also the additional plug as far as I can tell would make it compatible as a direct replacement of other torque sensing sensors. Don't quote me on the last part there till I do some further research though. If this turns out to be the case it may be a boon to those doing conversions to add a torque sensing pedal assist to their projects at a reasonable cost. One final note from my experience with torque sensors, not an issue with a model like the Phantom which has a center stand, but be careful when moving these bikes backwards with power on and side stand down. If you allow the pedals to jam on the kickstand the induced tension on the chain will engage the motor and may cause damage to your bike or you if not prepared. Ride safe

I have my bike back home now. Rich from Crazy Lenny's E-Bikes did the install. I can't say enough good things about these guys, but I'll make this post about the torque sensor. Some people might appreciate my thoughts rolled into two words: Buy this! For those that want a bit more detail please read on. This sensor is the extra little bit that my Prodeco Phantom needed. Since this sensor does not come with different settings you need to set it up to suit your riding style. I'm a guy who appreciates instant performance. Fortunately, Rich set this sensor up to provide exactly that. As soon as I start pedaling the bike kicks in and gives you a rush of torque. It's similar to how a cadence sensor pedelec bike feels in it's highest setting. The bracket allows for numerous positions of the torque sensor, so you can set it up to give you less response if you want. I personally can't tell much of a difference between this type of sensor and a cadence sensor, but I really dig the simplicity of this design. I also noticed when you shift gears the sensor detects the brief lack of torque. It stops applying power ever so briefly until the gear shift is made, and then it kicks in again. The back of the sensor also has a small blue led light that blinks a couple times every once in a while letting you know it's on and activated. I'm sure I only noticed this, because it was dark after my ride. I was looking closely at the back of the sensor, and I saw the blue light blinking. That's a nice touch. Now I have the ability to ride in pedal assist only if I want. Hitting the red button by the throttle disables the throttle, but the torque sensor is still active. So, you can have pedal assist/throttle mode or pedal assist only at the touch of a button. For those of you thinking of whether or not this sensor is worth it I would say yes it is.

First post here - I came across this thread through ES. I'm interested in getting this torque sensor for a Surly Big Dummy and wondering if anyone has experience in modifying the sensor mounting bracket to work on another bike. It looks like the stock prodecotech mount won't work with a front derailleur.

Also, any updates on experience with the sensor so far? My one worry is whether it would possible to accidentally engage the sensor or whether there issues if the chain comes loose.
Thanks!

First post here - I came across this thread through ES. I'm interested in getting this torque sensor for a Surly Big Dummy and wondering if anyone has experience in modifying the sensor mounting bracket to work on another bike. It looks like the stock prodecotech mount won't work with a front derailleur.

Also, any updates on experience with the sensor so far? My one worry is whether it would possible to accidentally engage the sensor or whether there issues if the chain comes loose.
Thanks!
At first blush I would say no on the ability to fit it with multiple chain rings. Have you considered going to a single chainring? Many e-riders, myself included find they seldom or never use the lower range gears. I personally rarely leave high gear due to the assistance helping me on launch and easing any transition to top speed...I find I ride much faster and aggressively than I would on a non assisted bike. You have peaked my curiosity though and I will check with Prodeco for any experience they have with setting this up with multiple chain rings. As far as accidental engagement I will need to check into that too, I suppose anything is possible. Because it senses torque or tension on the chain I would imagine that engagement could be had if backing the bike with the kickstand (mid type side stand) down and the pedal jams to the stand this phenomenon is possible and been personally experienced by me with both Emotion and Stromer which employ torque sensing for assistance engagement. Experience has taught me to power down the system before doing that maneuver a bucking bronco in a crowd of bikes is a thrill to avoid I can tell you. Know your beast and act accordingly. Hope this helps.

So if you installed this on a Outlaw SS, will that be street legal then?....As it sounds that 20MPH is max...

Good point AZ. 20 MPH is max on throttle only, so installing the torque sensor will allow the bike to be considered pedal assist. I don't know if pedal assist speed is limited in any way, but I think it would be fine. The Outlaw SS has a 750 watt motor right? I think that's max for USA regulations.

Good point AZ. 20 MPH is max on throttle only, so installing the torque sensor will allow the bike to be considered pedal assist. I don't know if pedal assist speed is limited in any way, but I think it would be fine. The Outlaw SS has a 750 watt motor right? I think that's max for USA regulations.

Yes they say its not "street legal" because it does 28mph....So adding that makes it street legal(20mph)? Wonder who could answer that? I like the pedal assist part, but don't want to lose my top end.....

I might not have been clear. The torque sensor might make it legal because you can legally go faster than 20 MPH with pedal assist. The bike is still capable of going 28 MPH on throttle only, which is illegal. The torque sensor won't limit speed. The controller takes care of that. So, here's how I see it-The Outlaw SS would be illegal on throttle only, but legal with pedal assist. But, seriously, who is going to pull someone over on a bike? LOL

Justin I think your on the right track. Draw attention and trouble will find you.
Do you find the TS jerky or a constant level of assist? I put one on a bike and it seemed somewhat unpredictable in terms of operation. With no level of assistance selection, seems like it's all or nothing in terms of assistance.

Check out Lilrich's post from Dec 28th 2014, he did an install of the Prodeco Tech Pedal Assist system on a Outlaw SS and mentions adjustments to fine tune the sensitivity of the torque sensor; that may help. The company will certainly have more technical info available.

Hi all, I just wanted to add to this thread. I own a SS OUTLAW 28MPH version.
Recently, I was at a bike shop and they had a demo Specialized Turbo to ride. It was a blast mainly due to no fiddling with throttle and it made me feel like my peddling strength had increased by leaps and bounds.
Since then I had to have that feeling on my bike so I bought a BEAMts and installed it myself. Fairly easy to install. Then there was fine tuning it to my taste. I ended up with the least aggressive setting--the opposite from lilrich settings. This adjustment allows you to get a decent workout because you have to give it decent peddling power to activate the BEAMts. But, you still have the throttle if you get tired.
It isn't quite as smooth as the Turbo but works pretty darn well and does not cost $6000. I am satisfied and highly recommend this upgrade. I would love to electronically dial it in to my personal taste but the default setting is good. I wish it would cut off a little sooner thats all. Kinda scary that extra second of power after you stop peddling until you get used to it.
Anyhow, the bike is 300% more fun to ride and even if my left thumb gets numb no problem. I paid $149 including fast shipping.
Two thumbs up!!

Back