Problem with latest firmware update

A new app problem for me “Activity Upload Fail” after a ride today. Giant App also kept crashing (iPhone) when I tried to open previous rides.
No idea how to start a new thread on this site either, since “new conversation”
requires me to send it to someone, so can only add replies to other threads it seems ...

View attachment 57278
I got that same message on my Android phone on Sunday's ride. Also use Map my Ride, so will stick to that for now

To start new topic thread, go to the forum you want, and begin a new topic there.

A new app problem for me “Activity Upload Fail” after a ride today. Giant App also kept crashing (iPhone) when I tried to open previous rides.
requires me to send it to someone, so can only add replies to other threads it seems
Screenshot_20200630-095856.png

See where it says post thread? Tap on that to get started. Applies to any topic you're in.

requires me to send it to someone, so can only add replies to other threads it seems ...

View attachment 57278
Upper right of the main forum page is "Post Thread". You cannot be reading a message thread at the time, or your only option is to add a reply to the thread you're viewing. And that "new conversation" thing is for PRIVATE mail, directed to someone here.

Other than that, sorry, but I can't help with the uploading of rides... I don't use that at all. The usual advice is to reboot the iPhone and restart the app. And if that doesn't work, then make sure you have the latest version of the app.

Good luck!

Hmmm...I got the 'can't upload try again' error as well. Maybe their servers are down, or full, or whatever. Geesh.

View attachment 57278
I have had this happen as well. Just waiting a little bit or making sure I have a good WiFi signal has allowed me to download. This isn’t a tech smart answer but it seems to work. 🚴‍♀️

Hmmm...I got the 'can't upload try again' error as well. Maybe their servers are down, or full, or whatever. Geesh.
I like your answer @Browneye... perhaps that is it. My WiFi and cellular at my location is sketchy so I just assumed download failure was due to that. 🚴‍♀️

Upload is not the same as download. After failing to upload several times, my ride just disappeared :mad:.

I have had this happen as well. Just waiting a little bit or making sure I have a good WiFi signal has allowed me to download. This isn’t a tech smart answer but it seems to work. 🚴‍♀️
Now fixed thanks - I switched on the bike and connected it to the app, then tried download again, and it worked this time. Could be coincidence, but maybe it prefers the connection to the bike in order to work properly!

Yes, you need a login account for the app, and it has to connect to a ebike. Or it doesn't work. 👍

With the new firmware the lights no longer come on when you turn on the power. And if you simply click the light button, the display (at least with the EVO display I have) cycles between bright, dim and off. You need to hold down the light switch button in order to turn on the lights now.

LOL - I installed the new FW back in May but just found this “feature” last night when I tried to go for an evening ride (to see comet Neowise). I thought I had a wiring problem for a while, then discovered this new behavior. BUT - my tail light won’t come on at all no matter what I try - so is there some magic around that ? Or is that likely a wiring issue ?

LOL - I installed the new FW back in May but just found this “feature” last night when I tried to go for an evening ride (to see comet Neowise). I thought I had a wiring problem for a while, then discovered this new behavior. BUT - my tail light won’t come on at all no matter what I try - so is there some magic around that ? Or is that likely a wiring issue ?
I suspect a wiring issue. Last fall, shortly after I got my bike, I too had problems with the rear light not coming on. Which model bike do you have? I have an Explore E+1 GTS with fenders. I traced all the wiring and found there was power right up to the first/front connector on the rear fender. But no power at the rear. I ended up changing how the wiring was connected and I posted about it here, complete with photos and instructions. The problem was that the wires were just pushed into a small hole and held in place by a plastic pin. Not at all a good connection. If you do a search on my name you'll probably find it. And I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Just found the thread: Improve Wiring for Lights

I purchased a 2019 Giant Explore from a friend in February. Had trouble with the Ridecontrol update and took it to my local Giant dealer and did the update for free. Also gave me this pretty cool report card. Even shows the percentage of the PAS fields you use when you ride. This is my 2nd E bike so most of my riding is on an E-Glide ST. Thanks Browneye for all the valuable information you share.

Attachments

• 20200725_150502_resized.jpg
    20200725_150502_resized.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200725_150508_resized.jpg
    20200725_150508_resized.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 336
I purchased a 2019 Giant Explore from a friend in February. Had trouble with the Ridecontrol update and took it to my local Giant dealer and did the update for free. Also gave me this pretty cool report card. Even shows the percentage of the PAS fields you use when you ride. This is my 2nd E bike so most of my riding is on an E-Glide ST. Thanks Browneye for all the valuable information you share.

Interesting, how do you find jumping between the hub and mid drive bikes? I moved from a hub to an Explore and, while I ultimately find the mid drive more rewarding and easier to work on I do miss the push that comes from a hub motor.

The E Glide ST with a 500 watt rear drive motor is my main ride. I like having a throttle to start off with from stops. The Giant Explore was a good deal from a friend who could not ride any longer. The Giant is more like riding a regular bike with a little extra oomph!

Back