Problem Getting Specialized Turbo Display

timacn

I got a Specialized Turbo Tero 5.0 back in early October and upon my arrival home, the display module was loose. I discovered that it was loose because one of the flanges that holds the unit in place had broken off inside the unit in which the display is seated. The bike shop where I bought it (way on the other side of the state from me) submitted a warranty and Specialized said they would send me a new display module. The replacement part was ordered approximately October 8th and they expected it in a week or so. Now, almost two months later, it is still not here with no delivery in sight. Anybody have any suggestions where I can get a replacement unit?

I am no help telling you what to do. My experience with my Vado 5 has been that most of the parts are Specialized proprietary and only available through them. With exception of Shimano stuff.
They will take care of you eventually but patience in virtue.
Good luck.
I am waiting for my LBS to receive the medium size Tero so I buy. That is if I am successful selling my Vado 5.
Could you you provide and review if yours.

I got a Specialized Turbo Tero 5.0 back in early October and upon my arrival home, the display module was loose. I discovered that it was loose because one of the flanges that holds the unit in place had broken off inside the unit in which the display is seated. The bike shop where I bought it (way on the other side of the state from me) submitted a warranty and Specialized said they would send me a new display module. The replacement part was ordered approximately October 8th and they expected it in a week or so. Now, almost two months later, it is still not here with no delivery in sight. Anybody have any suggestions where I can get a replacement unit?

Maybe a picture or link to what they look like.

The TCD for my Creo actually uses a Garmin mount so interchangeable. But if they now use some different mounting system, I guess you will have to wait for Specialized. I have used their contact link and gotten reasonable help including they sent me the little rubber plugs that fill in the holes where a kickstand would attach. Maybe that would light a fire under them. Good luck

TCD.jpg

Thanks, as usual, for your suggestions. "Mark" at Lititz Bikeworks, a local Specialized dealer and very helpful guy, picked up that a display unit was available at a Specialized facility somewhere on the West Coast. I called Specialized later and they told me that an order containing display units had, in fact, come in and my warranty unit was on the way. Now...if that possible snowstorm predicted for next week can just stay away from Pennsylvania...

Was it the mount that was broken or the TCD-w flange?
I guess it had to be the display flange. It broke on my full power Vado, too. As my Vado is not new anymore, I just applied some silicone glue to connect the TCD-w to the mount. Nice thing is I can always remove the display (to replace the battery or for firmware updates), and when I reattach the display, it holds. (I would not recommend that for a brand new e-bike though).

Last edited:
I guess it had to be the display flange. It broke on my full power Vado, too. As my Vado is not new anymore, I just applied some silicone glue to connect the TCD-w to the mount. Nice thing is I can always remove the display (to replace the battery or for firmware updates, and when I reattach the display, it holds. (I would not recommend that for a brand new e-bike though).
It was the flange. I suggested gluing to some repair people familiar with the display unit and they told me not to do it, but I always thought it would work fine. Your post proves that to me.

I guess it had to be the display flange. It broke on my full power Vado, too. As my Vado is not new anymore, I just applied some silicone glue to connect the TCD-w to the mount. Nice thing is I can always remove the display (to replace the battery or for firmware updates), and when I reattach the display, it holds. (I would not recommend that for a brand new e-bike though).
If you still monitor this forum, can you please direct me to the silicone glue you used? Thanks.

EDIT! I asked a friend and he recommended this GE ADVANCED SILICONE - which I just happened to have a tube of. It worked just fine!

Last edited:
After my Vado 5.0 totally broke (motor and the motor mount at the frame), Specialized people have rebuilt my e-bike to version 6.0. They used a very strong glue to attach the display cover to the mount, and now, the display is just slid onto the top of everything. I used the silicone glue again to secure the display on its cover :)

I had a crash with my turbo tero 5.0 and the display got smashed and my LBS was promised new display time after time from Specialized but it got delayed every time so after waiting 2 month my LBS decided to borrow one from another new bike and mount it on mine.
That's what I call customer service.

BTW I couldn't ride anyway in the 2 month waiting time since I smashed my collarbone and som ribs imagine I was 20 going full speed DH and performing a amazing jump which didn't go as planned. I now realise I'm not 20 but a old man who couldn't resist the temptation to feel young and free with no worries again.
I'm back on track but have to ride carefully for 8-12 month since the healing take long time.

Attachments

• 27EC01E6-ADF8-40EA-8A34-0348EB639CE6.jpeg
    27EC01E6-ADF8-40EA-8A34-0348EB639CE6.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 9A008F9F-21DE-4089-A3D1-399B52CD2DFF.jpeg
    9A008F9F-21DE-4089-A3D1-399B52CD2DFF.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 119
The shop knew I cycled every day and therefore depended on it and bet that the other bike wouldn't be sold as it was winter but they said they couldn't do it if it was summer with high season

The shop knew I cycled every day and therefore depended on it and bet that the other bike wouldn't be sold as it was winter but they said they couldn't do it if it was summer with high season
I meant Alpinegeek was planning bombing downhill on his Tero in Alps.

I meant Alpinegeek was planning bombing downhill on his Tero in Alps.
What surprised me most is how solid these bikes are, according to my Apple watch7 (which also activated crash detection) I had 34km out from the jump and went straight down hitting the ground on the front wheel since I did everything wrong having the seat as high as possible and leaning forward past the handlebar, I was sure at least the fork and wheel was wrecked but after full service at LBS only display and frontlight Flux 1250 was damaged since the handlebar spun around and tore them off.
I have insurance so all damage was covered.

Back