Priority Embark anyone?

JoeinJP

I came across this ebike when reading other websites (I think actually a Forbes review at first), and it appears to have garnered positive reviews. (Naturally I don't expect negative reviews to be posted on their page!) Bosch motor, Gates carbon drive belt, clean-looking style, weight 45 lbs. The owner was quick to answer an email, so signs are positive. Bike is on backorder again til May 2020.

Anyone an owner and has an experience to share? Hoping this may be a model Court has a chance to review before I go for it!

It's a nice spec for the $4k price, lightweight for an ebike at 45lb, and better value than belt drive competitors that use a Nexus or Alfine 8 IGH like the Schindelhauer Heinrich or Tern HSD S8i. That being said the Tern HSD uses smaller 20" wheels that might better suit a shorter rider, a longer cargo rack rated to carry 130lb, and the more expensive Tern HSD S+ model uses the larger Bosch 500wh battery and Enviolo automatic shifting which is easier on the wrists than the manual cable operated Enviolo system on the Embark. The Evelo Aurora is another competitor but the Embark is considerably lighter weight (65lb for the Aurora). Evelo adds a suspension fork and automatic shifting, and a larger battery but energy consumption is higher due to the extra 20lb weight and higher power 750w Bafang Max mid-drive on the Aurora vs the 250w Bosch Active Line motor on the Embark. Both systems offer torque sensor pedal assist, but the Priority Embark will feel more bicycle-like to ride whereas the Evelo Aurora is more moped-like due to the increased weight, power, plus throttle.

Last edited:
No experience with the Embark, but I am looking into getting one as my first e-bike. I really like the frame design, it is rather mountain bike-ish, and I find it attractive. The belt drive is a must for me, as I ditched chain bikes about 5 years ago. I would likely change out the seat, and maybe the seatpost for a suspension version, and go for higher bar riser and maybe pullback bars. Anyone here have one?

Attachments

• embarkprofile-1541605013.jpeg
    embarkprofile-1541605013.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 359
If you’d like to consider a step-through, Gazelle recently brought over a similar spec model the Ultimate C380 with the Enviolo 380 hub and belt drive, a slightly larger 500wh battery, and more powerful Bosch Performance Line motor.

The Gazelle has the features, but the frame is too feminine for my tastes. Step thru is not my scene.
Fair enough. Another competitor to keep an eye on is Zen, a new brand from long time EBR forum member Ravi Kempaiah who worked at Crazy Lenny's, is an electronics engineer, rode across the US on an ebike. He is launching a new brand aimed at integrating high quality components including Gates belt and Enviolo hub with the even more powerful Bosch gen 4 CX motor, the bike is in development but Ravi has said the Zen Samurai model will start from four grand, see the thread https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/zen/https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond.34290/

Last edited:
Dewey, from what I can see, the Zen is worth taking a hard look at. Too bad their website is not set up yet. I suppose they have funding problems, like so many startups. Thanks
for the heads up. This is why I joined here. I appreciate it!

I really like what that Priority Bike Company has been doing in the past year. Nice looking ebike with the premium Gates Carbon Drive; I have that same belt drive on my 2013 Trek Soho DLX. Completely silent in operation with a world wide proven track record of reliability. Top level Bosch e drive system.

They have a standard 29 inch mtb style bike that features the ultra high tech Pinion gear box drive which features 600% gear reduction. There are like 2 camps who will go back and forth about which drive system is the ultimate, the Pinion folks and the Rohloff folks. There is a rider on Youtube who is documenting a long distance bike ride in the western continental divide by the name of Ryan Duzer. Worth a look just for the journey alone.

This Priority company to me has the feel of what the early Trek bike company was doing over in Waterloo, Wisconsin, an upstart US based bike manufacturer going against the big competition of the day.

Ravi's bikes also worth a look with that belt drive, as to Watt Wagons.

The Prority Current looks nice but I wish they offered it with front suspension. I know it would add a bit to the price but not that much and would greatly increase the number of potential buyers.

Is a front suspension really needed on a city bike? Doesn't it add weight and cause front end dive when braking?
With the current state and conditon of our roadways these days, a front suspension fork is highly recommended. Front end dive when braking hard is not an issue, but I have found with my full suspension Full FatSix, that standing up on the pedals and laying the power down will come with that definite feel of those power strokes getting lost in the squish of the front and rear shocks.

That's easily fixed if you have a remote shock lock-out lever mounted on your handlebar, which can either lock the shock or allow full travel with the click of the switch. Some have that feature down at the shock crown.

With only a 400w battery, now it seems the Embark is behind the times. Maybe they will think about upgrading it to 500w or more? I don't want to buy a short range, outdated e-bike.
I do like everything else about it though.

I call my Embark my "Little Mule" . Never had any trouble with range. Guys at Priority are real gentlemen. One consideration I had was I didn't want my bike to look "Too" valuable thus hoping that people wouldn't want to steal it.

Attachments

• IMG_3742.pdf
    738.3 KB · Views: 366
Has the Embark been discontinued? They had no stock in the past months and now I can't even find it on the website...

Edit: Priority said they don't know if they'll have the Embark again in stock but, if they do, it will be late 2021.

Last edited:
Back