Pretty pls help me choose my 1st E-bike

I live in East TN if that helps! I don't mind pedaling to help get up and over the hills around town. When we visit larger bike friendly cities we enjoy renting the Citi E-bikes to get from one place to another. We recently did the VA Creeper trail and I believe the bikes were from Evo, but these were of the non electric variety.
I took a look at the Creeper trail on All Trails, it’s only 1350 feet elevation gain over 33 miles. That’s easily with the range of even a 350-500 watt hub motor. The commuter bikes you are looking at, as well as others in that class will do just fine. So it really comes down to value for you money, style, and customer support. You’ve got lots of good options, just pick one.

I 100% agree! Unfortunately, I live in a smaller city that doesn’t have an LBS that has these brands available for testing.
Have you ridden an ebike with torque-sensing assist? If not, you should test one before buying an ebike with cadence-sensing assist. Maybe your LBS has one to try/rent — even if it's not on your current list.

For us, the power delivery with torque-sensing assist felt completely natural, whereas all the cadence-sensing bikes felt off, some more than others. Might be different for you, but for us it was night and day.

Torque-sensing ebikes are being offered at lower price points now. Well worth considering if within your budget.

Have you ridden an ebike with torque-sensing assist? If not, you should test one before buying an ebike with cadence-sensing assist. Maybe your LBS has one to try/rent — even if it's not on your current list.

For us, the power delivery with torque-sensing assist felt completely natural, whereas all the cadence-sensing bikes felt off, some more than others. Might be different for you, but for us it was night and day.

Torque-sensing ebikes are being offered at lower price points now. Well worth considering if within your budget.
Thanks for the advice Jeremy! I’ll definitely do this since that a major difference between the two options I’m looking at.

I realize you're far away from a shop, but I would take a day to drive to somewhere and test out bikes to buy first. I found quite a bit of a difference myself between the different brands. I was ready to buy the first brand I found and then decided 'just in case' to check out some other brands. The third brand I liked by far the best even if I would have been happy with the other two. Is the closest city say within a 3 hour drive? You would only need to do this trip once or twice.

Thanks for the advice Jeremy! I’ll definitely do this since that a major difference between the two options I’m looking at.
I took a look at the Creeper trail on All Trails, it’s only 1350 feet elevation gain over 33 miles. That’s easily with the range of even a 350-500 watt hub motor. The commuter bikes you are looking at, as well as others in that class will do just fine. So it really comes down to value for you money, style, and customer support. You’ve got lots of good options, just pick one.
Unless it has recently changed e-bikes are not allowed on tha Va Creeper trail……they are on the New River Tral

The Aventon Pace 500.3 has torque sensing, hydraulic brakes, and a two year warranty. According to the Blix specs, the Skyline has cable pull brakes, cadence sensing, and a one year warranty. You will want torque sensing and hydraulic brakes. Especially since they are priced comparably.

If your choice is between these two bikes, The Aventon Pace 500.3 is the better choice.
The Aventon Level 2 step thru is only a 100 more than the 500.3. Seems a better value...

I realize you're far away from a shop, but I would take a day to drive to somewhere and test out bikes to buy first. I found quite a bit of a difference myself between the different brands. I was ready to buy the first brand I found and then decided 'just in case' to check out some other brands. The third brand I liked by far the best even if I would have been happy with the other two. Is the closest city say within a 3 hour drive? You would only need to do this trip once or twice.
You guys got more patience than this rider that's for sure!

I had never heard of the Creeper Trail, but when I looked it up the first two photos I saw included a pair of Lectric folding eBikes ;)

I 100% agree! Unfortunately, I live in a smaller city that doesn’t have an LBS that has these brands available for testing.
I didn't have e-bikes to ride locally either. I drive 200 miles to find a dealer with several companies in stock. They just kept rolling out eBikes until I found something I really liked. I've purchased a total of 3 different eBikes from them now and couldn't be happier. I've also never bought based on money, but I buy based on comfort. I have never had to return for service on any of the 3 quality eBikes purchased over 7 years and over 14,000 miles.

You guys got more patience than this rider that's for sure!
+1. Even if test riding, I’ve found the bike adjustments and variables (seat height, tires and tire pressure, suspension seat post or not, handlebars or bullhorns, bar tape, gloves, etc) to be more important than what can be determined from a short test ride. At least for me, most of those things can be figured out and customized later inexpensively. Well, for most everything except frame size and stand over height!

Three e-bikes, all purchased online and very happy with, with cumulative 18,000 miles or so. And very few issues except for adjustments and minor maintainance. One bike did need a controller replacement after over 10,000 hard ridden miles, but I consider that not too bad.

The Aventon Pace 500.3 has torque sensing, hydraulic brakes, and a two year warranty. According to the Blix specs, the Skyline has cable pull brakes, cadence sensing, and a one year warranty. You will want torque sensing and hydraulic brakes.
I hated cadence sense, since it forced me to go too fast next to 6" deep trenches in the pavement. I disabled the crank sensor, use throttle only. Torque sensing would be nice but not a feature on hub drive cargo bikes. OTOH I'd hate having to walk home from the bike shop after I dropped it off to have the hydraulic brakes worked on. Hydraulic disk was bad enough on the car, and the parts for a bicycle hydraulic brake are 500 miles away, not 4 blocks like O'Reillys auto parts. The bike shop is 5 miles and a bus transfer each way, about 2.5 hours one way by bus. I could walk 5 miles in 1.25 hours.
I have cable pull brakes, work on them myself. Secret to cable pull, do NOT use the garbage grey metal cables the cheap brands use. Use real steel cable from Jaguar, Clarks, or OEM I received from Yuba. The cheap cables stretch all the time, require constant adjustment. I adjust only for pad wear: the cables never stretch.
More warrenty is not much help if you live 3 hours from the bike shop. 6 hours RT. Especially if you don't have a car to haul the bike. I don't. U-haul truck is $55 a day with the collision & glass insurance and $.89 a mile.

I literally just purchased this foldable e bike. It looks very promising. Going to post a review once I get my hands on it.

I literally just purchased this foldable e bike. It looks very promising. Going to post a review once I get my hands on it.

I woulda got a Lectric

I woulda got a Lectric
I always look for what the features are on the bike. It looks like Lectric to keep their price down isn't sourced with premium parts. To me an E Bike is an investment, I would think over time a Lectric would wear down more than the Emerald Fold. To each their own though.

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to write out a response and share their e-bike knowledge! I ended up going in a different direction all together and ended up ordering EBCs new Model J. I’m happy to give an update once it comes in if anyone is interested 🙃

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to write out a response and share their e-bike knowledge! I ended up going in a different direction all together and ended up ordering EBCs new Model J. I’m happy to give an update once it comes in if anyone is interested 🙃
Can't wait for the review

Back