Pre-order and long wait to be the new norm for ebikes.

Timpo

If you want to get an ebike by the spring or summer 2021, you should have ordered by December 2020.
Which is approx 6 months wait.

I watched the entire video, I guess it would take approx 6 or up to 12 months in some cases to get an ebike?

Last edited:
Depends on what you are looking for.

I quick look and both Biktrix and Ride1Up have in-stock bikes. Lectric has the black XP in stock.

And then if you go to your LBS, the high-end bikes are usually available.

If you are determined that you will be getting Sondors Cruiser for sure, I'd purchase it now.

Just by reading so many threads on EBR, how ebike companies are keep postponing promised delivery dates, I wouldn't be surprised if ACTUAL delivery date is August.
Thanks! Can’t quite do it until our home refinancing is done. As soon as that happens, Sonders will get our 2,000 for 6 plus months until it ships.

Last edited:
I wont do it , too easy to put a BBXXX on a bike of my choice . I do have to admit tho I like the looks of that Rockstar .

You can have a 20" fat tire like this 48V Ecotric for $839 in two weeks. I bought the 36V two years ago for $769, and spent more than that upgradig to 48V, If you need front shocks, they cost $99. Comparable to a Radmini after you add suspension,

But I prefer riding my beater Diamondback with a BBS02 even though just the motor/batter cost more than my Ecotric.

"It says "Currently unavailable""

Really?. I added the black one to my shopping cart and it said delivery by January 26. The gold one would have been shipped from Ecotric later. You must have clicked on something slightly different, or may it's for Prime?

Lectric XP, another popular fat folder, says they are shipping the step-thrus in two weeks.

My friends went to a Trek dealer last week and bought two ebikes that were in the store. Sounds like they have quite a few, right now.

Last year, there was a forum link to an interview with the CEO of Giant, in Taiwan. She discussed the backlogs, but said she was not going to change her company goals. (Article is behind a paywall, sorry if not available.)

"Despite the rush of first-time bike buyers, she does not plan to “blindly” invest in new manufacturing capacity. She is not yet convinced the world’s newfound love for two-wheelers will outlast the pandemic."

But that's Giant. Many smaller shops that are putting out the generic bikes that are imported by Lectric, Rad, Ecotric et al, don't have that cautioun. What do you do as an importer? Ride it out like Giant and expect to grow long term? Or do you embrace this ebike bubble, back up your truck to the loading docks and sell all you can? I think there will be a shortage on the big bike names, but the smaller volume brands can more easily grow their supply chains.

Then again, it's only my opinion. Do like Timpo told you. You want an ebike, order it now. You're not getting any younger, and you wait til riding season, you may miss most of it.

Sounds like Bolton (and some other DTC companies) didn't anticipate demand, or other business considerations led to them not loading up on stock (lack of up capital/overstock storage etc).

I'm not saying there are NO shortages (especially on components), but lack of stock is NOT across the board.

There are plenty of bikes in stock, of all types, from other DTC companies, and more "big brand" as well.

Rize Bikes has 8 out of 11 models in stock in Canada (Bafang mids sold out though). In the US, they have ALL models in stock (some colours might not be available).

Amego's got tonnes of their brand in stock, regular or step-thru, as well as Stromers and other hub brands, and some mid-drive brands/models like R&M and Gazelle.

Want a smooth-riding bike with a Shimano motor? OHM in Vancouver has a bunch in stock, both E8000 and E6100 based, and ship to Canada and the US.

Trek and Giant shops have a number of models in-store ready to buy here in Toronto (I keep walking by the orange Powerfly in the window, so tempting!) and my fave bike shop, Gears in the Canary District, has multiple (gravel, mountain, trekking etc) from Cube, Cannondale, and especially Specialized, including every size of the Vado SL 4 EQ.

In short, there are plenty of options in stock, whether you want to order online or walk in (uhm... curbside it due to the COVIDs) to an LBS, pay, and ride away, at most price points, from sub $2000 to $10,000+, at least in Toronto.

Want a Stromer ST3 and told I have to wait until April/May
What size/colour?

I happened to be browsing AmegoEV, and they have a white M and a black L in their Toronto store, and they may have more in their San Diego warehouse.

There is a very real possibility that after the covid epidemic ends there will be a slow down for bike sales and that the market for used bikes will be flooded as people go back to pre covid lifestyles.

Back