Powerful Fat Tire E-bike w/ Torque sensor from Juiced Bikes

None of that would save you, though, if you get cut off. Getting cut off at 45mph while on his Harley Sportster in 1970 by a car t-boning him from a side street, cost my (recently late) brother a half inch of his right leg for 45 years before he died. Limping.

The faster we go the very much faster bad things result, the inverse square rule, when things go wrong, as you very well know.

It is your body and life. I know that my recent, minor accident was a very lucky break.
I was going too fast, undertaking the cars next to me...

...hell, you wouldn't ever do that, am sure, nor I in the future, either, or have any interest in riding an ebike over 25 mph as a rule. Keeping a bike at bike speeds means vastly increased safety, greatly reduced trauma when we do eventually get crashed...

The gentle, oblique crash above was at a mere 23mph

You do not want the 15 minutes of infamy

It was not the first time in my long life I have felt a deadly impact. Simply amazed I have lived to tell about the latest. The warning is that speed kills. We cannot change physics with bravado. You may have children. I do not. You may have youth that I do not. Do not curtail your only existence. Don't limp to the grave nor rush to the grave. Let death take you only when it must.

Abraham Lincoln's favorite poem

Last edited:
34-36MPH with a 52V. MAC motors are capable of greater speeds but heat can become a problem. Want Sur Ron speeds buy a sur ron. These selfish toy boy sellers do a great disservice to the growth of the industry. The FAKE eBikes will bring rules none of us will be happy about. This self centered need for speed will eventually kill someone. Cages see bicycle, whenever I rode at higher speeds, 30-35MPH, I noted that the cages were far more likely to misjudge my speeding make turns in front of me. Interesting that NO fast bike builder EVER mentions braking distance.
Oh I don't think the sur Ron boys are the only one's that are gonna screw up the ebike industry. You got a lot of companies out there that are building bikes that are clearly outside the guide lines but they find ways around it like off road mode, etc.etc. At least the sur Ron is clearly an off road bike and not meant for the street like some I've seen. They don't even come with pedals and clearly not trying to be a bicycle. Juiced, Biktrix, flx, they all build "bicycles" that do well over the legal limit. J.S. Luna definitely opened a can of worms with the 52v battery but the others don't mind jumping on the bandwagon. No reason to go any more than 48v if you're looking to keep it legal but almost everyone wants that speed. 28 mph or ride a motor cycle.

I was going to say the same. Anything above 35 mph on bike components is sketchy. Any faster and you essentially get bounced off the bike if your pavement isn’t as smooth as glass.
Are you running the phaserunner and the 24 pole pas with the controller set up for 39amps and it's running good?

Are you running the phaserunner and the 24 pole pas with the controller set up for 39amps and it's running good?

Yes, that’s correct. 39 amps is good for PAS, only as it tends to pulls more of a constant current. And now I have the torque sensor connected I might lower the max amp draw to 35-37 because I still managed to hit the amp limit when I was pedaling with all my weight on the pedals. The bike is super responsive now and I'm really liking it after all of the upgrades that I did.

For those of you who may want some idea of how well the 17.4 battery wears: after almost 2200 miles under battery power (and almost another 400 miles under muscle only power) at the six months mark, my battery registers about one tenth of a volt down (due to the accuracy of the display I expect we're really talking about somewhere between .05 and .15 volt). At this rate I imagine it will last quite some time (anybody have any projections at this rate of use?). Maybe 95% of the time I charge to 80% at 2 amps. The rest of the time I charge to 90% at 2 amps, 100% at 2 or 4 amps, and two partial charges at 7 amps. Estimate of number of full discharge cycles: 58. Am I correct in thinking that the deterioration of the battery is somewhat geometrical rather than directly proportional(?) or in a straight line as long as there is no temperature or other kinds of stress applied? The battery has always been stored at between 60 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I have also only depleted the battery down to about 41 or 42 volts twice and recharged within an hour or two. I also wrapped the battery in a space blanket and heavy duty duct tape during the winter months to keep the internal temperature at a higher level when biking.

Update: Just reached the 3200 mile mark with no significant or unexpected problems. 40 to 50 miles per charge on hilly terrain; 60 to 70 on flat; about 220lb load and street tires. Found I get the best range by staying in ECO and using the throttle in addition to pedaling when going up hill; allows me to cruise between high teens and middle 20's which is fine for me.

Last edited:
Back