Powerfly 8 FS

I really like the Bosche drive, and would go for the 4lb lighter Trek with better standover, and then just fit the bike to your body by changing out the handlebar stem with a shorter and steeper riser to get the more upright riding position (I changed mine out).

If you run out of battery power you're going to appreciate having a lighter bike, which would probably handle better as well. That's why I got the Powerfly 7 hardtail which is another 4 lbs lighter than the 8FS+ (At 46.5lb vs 50.7lbs). I also like that the Trek doesn't look bad without a battery installed.

Also, the Bosche drive system can give you assist pretty quickly, without taking off from under you if you accidentally lean on a pedal while standing over the bike (same as with the Giant). And power delivery when climbing slow bumpy technical sections on the trail is pretty smooth. My understanding is that the Bosche supports a wider range of cadence than the Yamaha (120 vs 100).

I like that you can charge the Bosche on or off the bike, but I can't see that the Giant allows charging without removing the battery. It looks like the Giant display has a larger USB port, while I have to use a $5 adapter from Amazon to turn my micro USB charging port to a normal USB-A port. The Powerfly also has walk assist like the giant,

The Giant has a nicer battery gauge, but only 3 levels of assist vs 55%, 120%, 210%, and 300% of the Bosche. I also can't tell if the Giant display can be removed for safekeeping. When the Bosche display is removed it still works to let you view your ride stats like miles ridden, time, avg speed, and max speed.

On level ground I will frequently turn off pedal assist with no problem, but with a 46lb bike you pretty much need a low levels of assist for more than a 1-2% grade, to make the weight disappear. The 50.5lb of the 8FS+ would make it harder to climb anything without assist, but with my 11 speed cassette (like the 8FS+) it really makes riding without assist possible. You can crawl along very slow in 1st gear and keep up your cadence to get power to the wheels, and still hit 25+ mph without assist on flat ground in 11th gear. It hurts to think about trying this with a bike that's another 5 lbs heavier than the 8FS+.

I treat my assist level buttons on the left side of the handlebar as if they were a front crank derailleur, and it would be confusing to me to have to deal with a 2x up front left as well. Nevertheless, the Giant looks like a sweet ride and I'd be very happy with one, and maybe the weight for one in medium to fit me wouldn't be so bad?

I really like the Bosche drive, and would go for the 4lb lighter Trek with better standover, and then just fit the bike to your body by changing out the handlebar stem with a shorter and steeper riser to get the more upright riding position (I changed mine out).

If you run out of battery power you're going to appreciate having a lighter bike, which would probably handle better as well. That's why I got the Powerfly 7 hardtail which is another 4 lbs lighter than the 8FS+ (At 46.5lb vs 50.7lbs). I also like that the Trek doesn't look bad without a battery installed.

Also, the Bosche drive system can give you assist pretty quickly, without taking off from under you if you accidentally lean on a pedal while standing over the bike (same as with the Giant). And power delivery when climbing slow bumpy technical sections on the trail is pretty smooth. My understanding is that the Bosche supports a wider range of cadence than the Yamaha (120 vs 100).

I like that you can charge the Bosche on or off the bike, but I can't see that the Giant allows charging without removing the battery. It looks like the Giant display has a larger USB port, while I have to use a $5 adapter from Amazon to turn my micro USB charging port to a normal USB-A port. The Powerfly also has walk assist like the giant,

The Giant has a nicer battery gauge, but only 3 levels of assist vs 55%, 120%, 210%, and 300% of the Bosche. I also can't tell if the Giant display can be removed for safekeeping. When the Bosche display is removed it still works to let you view your ride stats like miles ridden, time, avg speed, and max speed.

On level ground I will frequently turn off pedal assist with no problem, but with a 46lb bike you pretty much need a low levels of assist for more than a 1-2% grade, to make the weight disappear. The 50.5lb of the 8FS+ would make it harder to climb anything without assist, but with my 11 speed cassette (like the 8FS+) it really makes riding without assist possible. You can crawl along very slow in 1st gear and keep up your cadence to get power to the wheels, and still hit 25+ mph without assist on flat ground in 11th gear. It hurts to think about trying this with a bike that's another 5 lbs heavier than the 8FS+.

I treat my assist level buttons on the left side of the handlebar as if they were a front crank derailleur, and it would be confusing to me to have to deal with a 2x up front left as well. Nevertheless, the Giant looks like a sweet ride and I'd be very happy with one, and maybe the weight for one in medium to fit me wouldn't be so bad?
Good insights Larry,
Just to add that replacement Bosch batteries are readily available from any LBS or any other bike brand which supports the Bosch platform. The Bosch battery mounting/footprint on the Trek is also relatively future proofed for bigger or upgraded batteries going forward. With the battery integration into the frame on the Giant you will have limited price negotiating, supplier and upgrade options IMO

Well, I decided to go with the Giant. In the end, it came down to the fact I had the chance to demo the bike on the trails and I was very happy with it. I'm sure that the Trek would've been just as good, if not better but with a $5K purchase, it's hard not to go with what's known. A small advantage to the Giant is that since it was used, they are upgrading to XT Di2 with a 1x chainring for no cost. Thanks everyone for the input.

That review was for the old Giant, notice the battery is not integrated to the down tube. There are several changes already with the newer model.

Thanks for the heads up. I totally missed that. But do we know if the Giant now ties or beats the Trek at a 9/10?

I'm out having a relaxing ride and a stop for ice tea on my Pf7. My son wants me to get an 8FS+ and hand down my 7 to him, but I don't want to lose the two water bottle cage bosses (1 for a bottle and 1 for a lock). I also don't want the extra 4lbs but that's not a deal breaker.

For me the power of the Giant engine at lower gears was obviously different than the Bosch. It felt like the same torque as the higher gears of the Bosch. When I'm riding the lower gears of my powerfly give me much more torque where the assist is less obvious the higher the gearing. This makes a huge difference in steep climbs.

I agree that the Powerfly's Bosche Drive feels much more powerful in the lower gears, or at a higher cadence, than it does when lugging the motor at a lower cadence in a higher gear (especially on hills).

If I'm cruising flat ground at 18-19mph in ECO mode and I see even a slight incline or a hill coming up ahead, I'll crank it up to Turbo preemptively, but if it gets steep enough then I can't maintain that speed without also downshifting by 1-2 gears.

On a ride today I was going pretty fast on a hill that starts off easy and gets progressively tougher over the first half mile. By getting my momentum and speed up on the flatter part, and cranking it up to turbo and dropping it down 2-3 gears as the grade increased, I was able to maintain double digit speeds (12-16mph). I passed another biker struggling to maintain even 4-5 mph while I was going about 15 mph. Then it got steeper and I was stuck at 11-12mph. (On the street, not trails).

I agree that the Powerfly's Bosche Drive feels much more powerful in the lower gears, or at a higher cadence, than it does when lugging the motor at a lower cadence in a higher gear (especially on hills).

If I'm cruising flat ground at 18-19mph in ECO mode and I see even a slight incline or a hill coming up ahead, I'll crank it up to Turbo preemptively, but if it gets steep enough then I can't maintain that speed without also downshifting by 1-2 gears.

The new Motor in Giant, with Syncdrive Pro, competes with Bosch's performance. It also has more assist levels (5 instead of 3)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/showcase/syncdrive-pro

Good find Larry...almost gave me 2nd thoughts about my choice.

The Giant Full E uses the Syncdrive Sport (not PRO) so it only has 3 levels. However, I found that the lowest setting was fine for trail riding. The highest setting was actually too powerful..but fun. I'm still trying to get a good workout when I ride so I don't see the need for more levels of assist beyond the lowest.

I assume next years model will use the PRO.

The old Bosche software has 4 modes not three - ECO 55%, TOUR 120%, SPORT 210%, and TURBO 300%. Now they have ECO, SPORT, MTN, & TURBO for the four levels.

The new MTN replaces the 210% setting offers a variable boost rate from anywhere between 120% - 300% (including 210% but variable to go as low as 120% or as high as 300%).

Since this isn't fixed at 210% like before, and drains more power than the old Sport mode, maybe it's not a new level as much as a new mode. That allows you to save battery vs turbo and not have to touch the assist level switch while you're too busy focusing on riding off road hard.

Back