Power levels 1-3 noticeably lower than they should be on my 2014 Dash

DylanFGarrison

Hi All,

I have a 2014 E3 Dash with around 1200 miles on it. For the last 300-400 miles power levels 1-3 have been topping out at a lower speed than they used to. Level 1 is maxing out around 13-14 mph, level 2 is the same and level 3 gets me up to 18-20 mph... or 21-23 on occasion when it feels like it for no apparent reason. The assist is also very jerky when in levels 1-3 with power coming on then suddenly dropping off. Also strange is that the levels seem to not just be maxing out at a lower speed (that was previously normal) but then working to hold me at that speed. For anyone that has ever used the throttle mode to get up to 20 mph and then tried to peddle it feels like that. The motor holds you back. Whereas normally in assist mode you top out but it feels very natural and not like you're working against the motor as you flutter around the top speed.

Why have I not taken the bike in for service...

In mid summer I did in fact take the bike into my local shop to fix this issue and they found a frayed wire inside the housing that goes into the bottom bracket. Curry Tech said I must have hit something (not the case) and would not warranty the new harness as the whole thing had to be replaced. This bike is a city commuter in Minneapolis, it's never seen dirt. The shop (Eirk's) could see nothing had been hit and paid for the ($250!) part themselves. Big thanks for that Eriks! After getting the bike home I quickly discovered the same issue still occurred so the frayed wire must not have been the cause.

All the while power level 4 has worked like a charm. It takes me up to 26-28 depending on the incline and never pushes back when I hit top speed. So... since I commute every day into downtown on the bike I have just used P4 and have dealt with far less range. I've made it work but my job as a Realtor requires I zip around downtown all day showing condos and while P4 is great for speed the battery gets a little too close to running out of power for my comfort level on most days.

We're now getting into the colder season and I need P1 to be functioning correctly for better range as the temp drops. P1 used to get me up to around 20-22 while giving me tons for range (30 miles plus?). I really need this range back before it starts snowing.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix? I'd rather not take my bike in just to have it sit there while they try to figure out what the issue is. If anyone can provide a clue to what's going on so I can tell my shop where to start looking (or what to tell Curry) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dylan Garrison

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have a 2014 E3 Dash with around 1200 miles on it. For the last 300-400 miles power levels 1-3 have been topping out at a lower speed than they used to. Level 1 is maxing out around 13-14 mph, level 2 is the same and level 3 gets me up to 18-20 mph... or 21-23 on occasion when it feels like it for no apparent reason. The assist is also very jerky when in levels 1-3 with power coming on then suddenly dropping off. Also strange is that the levels seem to not just be maxing out at a lower speed (that was previously normal) but then working to hold me at that speed. For anyone that has ever used the throttle mode to get up to 20 mph and then tried to peddle it feels like that. The motor holds you back. Whereas normally in assist mode you top out but it feels very natural and not like you're working against the motor as you flutter around the top speed.

Why have I not taken the bike in for service...

In mid summer I did in fact take the bike into my local shop to fix this issue and they found a frayed wire inside the housing that goes into the bottom bracket. Curry Tech said I must have hit something (not the case) and would not warranty the new harness as the whole thing had to be replaced. This bike is a city commuter in Minneapolis, it's never seen dirt. The shop (Eirk's) could see nothing had been hit and paid for the ($250!) part themselves. Big thanks for that Eriks! After getting the bike home I quickly discovered the same issue still occurred so the frayed wire must not have been the cause.

All the while power level 4 has worked like a charm. It takes me up to 26-28 depending on the incline and never pushes back when I hit top speed. So... since I commute every day into downtown on the bike I have just used P4 and have dealt with far less range. I've made it work but my job as a Realtor requires I zip around downtown all day showing condos and while P4 is great for speed the battery gets a little too close to running out of power for my comfort level on most days.

We're now getting into the colder season and I need P1 to be functioning correctly for better range as the temp drops. P1 used to get me up to around 20-22 while giving me tons for range (30 miles plus?). I really need this range back before it starts snowing.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix? I'd rather not take my bike in just to have it sit there while they try to figure out what the issue is. If anyone can provide a clue to what's going on so I can tell my shop where to start looking (or what to tell Curry) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dylan Garrison
Dylan,

are we talking about the harness that is coming out of the bottom bracket? Normally if we're talking about the harness, it's the entire bottom bracket that had to have been replaced. The BB install can take some time due to squeezing wires into tight spaces and if not done right, you can severe those wires on installation. The cranks had to be taken off the BB as well to install a new one. There should be a silver marking on the BB which is the line associated with where the cranks should be installed. There are optimal positions on crank arm installation in regards to bb position.

Back