Possible to Use PowerTube 500 on 2 Different Bikes?

jpa2825

I have a 2019 Domane+ the (per the specs here) has a Bosch PowerTube 500wh. I am looking at options for my wife and came across an in-stock Allant +7 at the LBS and description says Bosch PowerTube 500. Other than the navy v. matte black fashion statement, is there any reason I couldn't use those 2 battery packs interchangeably? Thinking about doing some century rides and 1 charge won't get me there in the same day. If there was a way to "park" a battery at a rest stop halfway through the ride, I could make the switch and keep on going. Obviously it would be good to have a backup for other redundancies as well. Just wondering if it is possible.

It should work fine. Might need to have your LBS do a bit of tweaking to the latch/battery of one or both bikes/batteries to make sure they fit perfectly. Out of the box, my wife’s Allant+7 Lowstep 500 PT and my new Rail 5 500 PT are absolutely interchangeable. I’m waiting on the 625 battery to have him adjust the whole fleet of bikes/batteries to all interchange. May not be pretty but I don’t care.😎👍
5A55BC62-E597-4446-83E2-D6F754C386E2.jpeg

this is the advangate to have boshes external battery it will fit my bulls and my gepeda tandem. plus easier to take on and off and carry.

this is the advangate to have boshes external battery it will fit my bulls and my gepeda tandem. plus easier to take on and off and carry.
This is the most important reason I chose the Trek Rail 5 over the Specialized Levo. Liked both but the Rail’s battery compatibility was critical.

This is the most important reason I chose the Trek Rail 5 over the Specialized Levo. Liked both but the Rail’s battery compatibility was critical.
bulls had a good selection of how the batteries were dealt with and motor brands. taking out power tubes every day gets old.

I have a 2019 Domane+ the (per the specs here) has a Bosch PowerTube 500wh. I am looking at options for my wife and came across an in-stock Allant +7 at the LBS and description says Bosch PowerTube 500. Other than the navy v. matte black fashion statement, is there any reason I couldn't use those 2 battery packs interchangeably? Thinking about doing some century rides and 1 charge won't get me there in the same day. If there was a way to "park" a battery at a rest stop halfway through the ride, I could make the switch and keep on going. Obviously it would be good to have a backup for other redundancies as well. Just wondering if it is possible.
The Bosch power tubes come in horizontal and vertical orientation. So long as both bikes use the same battery orientation you should be fine. The only wild card is that a 500 watt power tube put inside a downtube that can accommodate at 625 watt power tube, will have a 70mm spacer attached to make it fit the longer downtube. I think the Domaine + will only take a 500 watt power tube while the Allant may take both sizes. I know the Allant 8 & 9 have 624 watt power tubes, I an not sure about the Allant 7. Check with Trek.

The Bosch power tubes come in horizontal and vertical orientation. So long as both bikes use the same battery orientation you should be fine. The only wild card is that a 500 watt power tube put inside a downtube that can accommodate at 625 watt power tube, will have a 70mm spacer attached to make it fit the longer downtube. I think the Domaine + will only take a 500 watt power tube while the Allant may take both sizes. I know the Allant 8 & 9 have 624 watt power tubes, I an not sure about the Allant 7. Check with Trek.
Like so.
01C67A56-9A29-4E09-A3FE-1C9007AD4F68.jpeg

Alaskan, have you actually tried to fit a 625KW Bosch powertube into the Domane + HP downtube by removing the spacer for the smaller 500KW battery? It would be nice to be able to fit a slightly bigger battery (or even a smaller one by adding a second spacer?) depending on the length of my planned rides.

Alaskan, have you actually tried to fit a 625KW Bosch powertube into the Domane + HP downtube by removing the spacer for the smaller 500KW battery? It would be nice to be able to fit a slightly bigger battery (or even a smaller one by adding a second spacer?) depending on the length of my planned rides.
This has come up before that the Domane+ HP might only take a 500, but Trek documentation shows otherwise:

1624386396700.png

Yes, I see that it could theoretically fit, but has anyone actually succeeded in placing a 625KW powertube internally into a Domane+ HP frame? I'd hate to spend $1000+ on a 625KW powertube only to find that it doesn't fit internally on my Domane+HP! I'm not really sure I want to purchase an externally mounted battery yet....

Yes, I see that it could theoretically fit, but has anyone actually succeeded in placing a 625KW powertube internally into a Domane+ HP frame? I'd hate to spend $1000+ on a 625KW powertube only to find that it doesn't fit internally on my Domane+HP! I'm not really sure I want to purchase an externally mounted battery yet....
Just call the Trek store where you bought your bike or put in a call to Trek HQ in Wisconsin and get a definitive answer from them. I have looked at the Domane HP and doubt can accommodate the longer 625 power tube. The down tube looks too short for that, to me. Just get the right answer from Trek.

Just call the Trek store where you bought your bike or put in a call to Trek HQ in Wisconsin and get a definitive answer from them. I have looked at the Domane HP and doubt can accommodate the longer 625 power tube. The down tube looks too short for that, to me. Just get the right answer from Trek.
I actually got this information by contacting Trek HQ. I think they refer to this document to answer the question if a 625 fits. So they answer that it can fit. The problem is, on my Domane HP, I don't see the extender attached to the 500 battery. If I measure the opening in the frame it is about 15 inches, which is less than the specification of the 625. So I now agree it doesn't seem the 625 can't fit even though the answer from Trek HQ was that it could and they supplied this diagram.

I actually got this information by contacting Trek HQ. I think they refer to this document to answer the question if a 625 fits. So they answer that it can fit. The problem is, on my Domane HP, I don't see the extender attached to the 500 battery. If I measure the opening in the frame it is about 15 inches, which is less than the specification of the 625. So I now agree it doesn't seem the 625 can't fit even though the answer from Trek HQ was that it could and they supplied this diagram.
Can you take a picture of your 500 batt from your Domane HP?

I looked at the battery on my Domane+ (2019) and similarly couldn't see any sort of demarcation for a spacer. I meant to measure the opening but forgot to do so. My initial conclusion is the same as yours - the Allant PowerTube and receiving slot appear to be different than mine. In the Allant you can presumably use 500+spacer OR 625 (no spacer) but you can't swap b/c the Domane+ (2019) appears to have a 500 only with no spacer and, as such, shorter form factor to fit in the downtube.

Back