Possible to shift gearing range on Rohloff hub?

DanRichman

I searched for this topic and didn't find it addressed. If it has been dealt with, please pardon my query and point me to the relevant thread.

I'm wondering whether the gearing on a Rohloff hub can be adjusted. I'm finding that it has a surplus of low gears (i.e., easier to pedal) and too few high gears. I have a Class 3 pedelec, and if I were to try going 28 engine-assisted mph (which I still haven't done), I think I'd be spinning like a madman, even in the highest gear.

I am happy to have the option to get 28 assisted mph, because I have gone easily to 23 and found the cadence in gear 14 to be fine.

Is there some way to shift the gearing range upward, so that there are fewer low gears and more high gears?

Just curious to see if anyone has any info, or opinions, on this.

The supply of parts for Internal Gear Hubs is very limited. Suppliers like niagara cycle have a few input bearings and the like, especially for Shimano, but I couldn't find an alternative sprocket with different tooth count for my Sturmey Archer S80 even in the UK.
Suggest you look at changing the drive sprocket on your bike. The one between the pedals. A higher tooth count could give you what you want. You'll need some pullers and the like to get the pedals off, I'm no expert. You'll also need to increase the length of the chain, involving chain breakers and the like. This topic at least is covered on sites like roadbikereview.com. They are not very nice over there, don't mention you have electric drive in your question. They do know the most about sprockets, chains, and derailleurs of anybody I've read. I could get no help from them at all on the whole IGH question. Beneath their dignity to discuss.

Dan,

This is a topic you really ought to take up with the shop where you purchased the bike. I understand why you might want to do this but I suspect there might be some unexpected pitfalls beyond finding an appropriate sprocket or chainring and installing it. My big concern would be that your drive system (I suspect this is on your Supercharger) might need a configuration change in order to work properly with the different gearing. My smaller concern would be that you'd void your warranty (R&M in particular and German companies in general tend to be pretty prissy about warranty terms and conditions).

I would recommend just dropping your assist level and using the full range of your gears. I find that in Turbo with a Bosch/Rohloff setup I rarely need anything but the highest gears. But in Tour everything is different. Side benefit: increased range. The Rohloff gears are equally spaced 13% apart, there is no real way to shift their global range other than with a different front ring, or a different rear drive cog, i.e., something external to the Rohloff hub itself. I wouldn't bother, since dropping the assist level will solve the problem.

I searched for this topic and didn't find it addressed. If it has been dealt with, please pardon my query and point me to the relevant thread.

I'm wondering whether the gearing on a Rohloff hub can be adjusted. I'm finding that it has a surplus of low gears (i.e., easier to pedal) and too few high gears. I have a Class 3 pedelec, and if I were to try going 28 engine-assisted mph (which I still haven't done), I think I'd be spinning like a madman, even in the highest gear.

I am happy to have the option to get 28 assisted mph.

Are you sure you can?

According to a Bosch app that adjusts riding profiles (engine assist as a function of speed), there is no engine assist for the default at 27 or 28 mph at any assist level — and these points are not adjustable in the user app.

Moreover, the assist level at 26 mph appears to be feeble as the assist linearly decreases for each assist level starting at at 21mph. So let’s say for simplicity Turbo supplies 300% of user effort. Then, according to the app, this is the case for the Performance Line “HS” motor only up until 21mph, at which time the assist drops off at rate 50% per mile. In other words, in Turbo you get 50% at 26 mph.

I’ve mentioned this before in this forum but nobody commented. If this is correct, your issue really isn’t with the hub. I was hoping to get some feedback on this but nobody from Bosch/RM appears to offer support in the forums. I will take this up with the dealer although I don’t consider it a dealer issue per se (not their fault if the above is correct).

I’m afraid the default profile matches my experience. If so, this is not as advertised. Hopefully for a good explanation that does not involve accepting less than advertised.

... I'm finding that it has a surplus of low gears (i.e., easier to pedal) and too few high gears. I have a Class 3 pedelec, and if I were to try going 28 engine-assisted mph (which I still haven't done), I think I'd be spinning like a madman, even in the highest gear ... I am happy to have the option to get 28 assisted mph, because I have gone easily to 23 and found the cadence in gear 14 to be fine ...

This is surprising to me. It almost matches how I described my Nuvinci (spinning like a madman just to achieve 23-25 mph). But with the Rohloff 23 mph in Tour is a piece of cake and nice, comfortable cadence. In Sport mode and 13th gear I have cruised with a comfortable cadence around 25-26 mph. Therefore I had assumed that Turbo and 14th gear would get me around 28 mph although I haven't tried it (too range conscious and 25 is about my comfort zone). But yes, because of my lack of hills I'm only using gears 8-13 mostly. Haven't really used 14 and haven't used 1-7.

rohloff_speed_cadence_aaaa.jpg

Highest Gear x Very High Cadence = Moderate Speed

We can't blame Rohloff. Almost every manufacturer who specs Rohloff insists on shifting the huge spread of gears to suit the "I'm crossing the Andes" touring cyclist.

The photo was taken a while back on my Airnimal folder but, I'll surmise, the assistance from the 3% downhill gradient was roughly equal to what I'll be receiving in Sport or Ultra on the level from my new Homage GX Rohloff.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back