Possible to retrofit Nuvinci hub on Bosch bike?

michal

Region
USA
City
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone know if I could have the Shimano Nexus Inter 8 hub on my Gazelle Arroyo (Bosch Performance Line motor) replaced with a Nuvinci hub? Or would there be issues with the Bosch software?

Anyone know if I could have the Shimano Nexus Inter 8 hub on my Gazelle Arroyo (Bosch Performance Line motor) replaced with a Nuvinci hub? Or would there be issues with the Bosch software?

I don't see why not. I am sure it can be done.
But it will add little more resistance (and decrease the range by 3-4 miles) and weigh at least 2 lbs more. Nuvinci hubs are heavy!
My friend has one and I have ridden it for 100+ miles. If you just do casual riding, they are ok. They are indeed low maintenance but also brings in low efficiency to the drivetrain.

For anyone curious —

I asked the folks at Propel about this and they said that, while it is technically possible, it'd be extremely time consuming with lots of complications to work through, and it's more cost efficient to get a bike that comes stock with the Nuvinci system.

FWIW, I did not like the N360 on my old non-electric commuter bike. The instant and infinite variability were nice, but it did not gear high or low enough for moderate hills.

FWIW, I did not like the N360 on my old non-electric commuter bike. The instant and infinite variability were nice, but it did not gear high or low enough for moderate hills.
I do wish it geared a little higher and, over the years, I've gone back and forth between liking/not liking it.

However, I've ridden a lot of the electric bike share bikes here in NYC (which only use Nuvinci hubs) and I've come to really enjoy the versatility and smooth, continuous shifting — particularly when starting from a full stop.

Will be adding it to the wish list for my next e-bike :D

I think the Nuvinci hub shines in urban riding with lots of starts and stops. As you said the smooth shifting on acceleration is a great feeling and very functional. It is not quite as well suited to touring and covering distances, mainly because of the lower efficiency/energy loss. I live in a hilly area and find a Bosch CX with Nuvinci 380 to be more than adequate for climbing hills. It does spin out above 25 mph but in a class 1 bike that speed is only achieved going down hill anyway.

Back