Possible to add handlebar riser to Pace500 Step Through?

Charlie12614

Region
USA
We have a medium Pace 500 Step Through. This is the model with the adjustable stem and handlebars. Even will the adjustable put at straight up so the handlebars are as high as possible, they seem a bit too low for my 6'1" spouse. I ordered a handlebar riser but it seems after trying to install it that this model of bike with the adjustable handlebars is NOT compatible with a stem riser. Is that correct? If it is possible can someone please direct me to instructions on how to do that on this particular bike? Thanks in advance.

Thanks. That is what I purchased. But it does not seem compatible as the adjustable stem of the Pace500 does not seem to come off the bike. Does anyone know for certain that this can be removed?

Thanks. That is indeed the model and I agree it does look compatible. I did loosen all the screws including the one in the center down the stem. But I cannot get the handlebars and holder to release off the stem. The screw in the stem can loosen a few turns but that does not seem to change anything. Not sure if that screw needs to come out completely. The reason I am questioning all this is the part that holds the handlebars and I am trying to remove (the fork?) can attached to the bike when delivered although oriented differently. I also cannot find anything online where someone shows them changing out this to add a riser

Hi Charlie;

I have a Pace 500 also. The stem is adjustable and you can also replace the handlebars to one with more rise. I personally found that the original handlebar was not ergonomic for me. I replaced it with a MTB handlebar ( more flat) and it made all the difference in the ride …..at least for me. So if you raise the stem adjustment a bit and add a handlebar with more rise, then rotate the handlebar as needed back towards the rider, you might gain the adjustment you need that way.…and get a better ride.
Handlebars are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
just a thought…..

KWR

Attachments

• CAA46BB8-5AF2-4831-B8F2-651F31697357.jpeg
    CAA46BB8-5AF2-4831-B8F2-651F31697357.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 175
You can put an extender on the Pace 500. To remove the original steering stem you must remove the bolt that is under the stem's plastic cap, then loosen the two stem pinch bolts on the bottom of the stem.

Make sure you have enough cable slack to raise the bars--this can be a limitation on how high you can go.

You'll need to preload the steering stem bearings when you install the extender. If you don't know what this is or how to do it then take it to your bike shop.

Update: brought it into the local bike store. They said the main bolt was bent and somehow was stuck, probably at time of factor assembly. But with some patience and a lot of brute force they were able to get it out and install the extender. Cost about $30 to install. All good now.

Back