Portola Thread

BobP

Region
USA
I purchased the Portola ~4 months ago and have about 200 miles on it.
P1014883.JPG

This is my first e-bike and I did a bunch of research on foldable ones and decided on this one. Only a few minor complaints. I got the upgraded battery and, IMO, the overpriced, passenger seat kit for the grandkids. I did get $40. off for signing up for their mailing list, more spam. They do NOT though give a miltary discount.
I watched the Ride1Up, factory tour video, interesting, their quadruple QC checks missed a few things on my bike. The front fender screws were loose. This caused the fender to catch on the tire the first time I rode it. One of the pedals was only half attached. Check all the screws and pedals are tight before you ride it. The passenger seat kit's footpegs, when I purchased mine, did not come with the shorter bolts (M8x20mm). I had to contact a CSR to ship them to me separately. No adjustable handlebar post, but I'm 5'10" tall, 32" inseam and the handlebars are at a perfect height for me.
I used an in-lb. torque wrench/allen socket to tighten the stem cap bolt, 7nm=62 in-lbs. I have no idea what 7nm of torque, from owner's manual, feels like using the supplied allen wrench, snug?
When I installed the derailleur guard I used Permatex Blue Threadlocker on the screw, none used in the installation video.
P1014866.JPG

Nice touch by Ride1Up of including a strap to keep the bike together when folded but it's a real PITA to get it snapped with the passenger seat on.
P1014890.JPG

P1014894.JPG

The frame latch when folded sort of flaps around and it's very possible that it could be snapped off. I purchased this velcro strap from HD to secure it. It's 18 inches long, ok, but a shorter one may also work. I sent Ride1Up an email about this and they said they were aware of it and were working on a solution. The solution is to include a velcro strap similar to the one I use.
P1014881.JPG

P1014880.JPG

Mine came with an almost inaudible bike bell. Ride1Up could have saved a buck or two by leaving it off. Not sure if an e-bike really needs a bike bell. Your voice is louder than any of them, but I purchased this Rock Bros bell to fill the space on the handlebar. Here's a review of the Rock Bros bell. Mine is actually louder than in the review. I also picked up this cell phone holder (-10% military discount) for my 6 1/2"L, 3 1/8"W Samsung phone, easy install and secure.

P1014869.JPG

There are instructions on how to install the passenger seat but not how to uninstall it. I loosened the screw, pushed it, the latch, forward and lifted the seat off the back and up.
SbXXGyBlem3PWBo5chy4VfFjz7B-frGe9w.png

P1014895.JPG

I have only gone through a few of the display features. Impressed with all the options.

Out of the box the brakes and the gears worked fine, no scrapping or adjustments needed. So far no problems, the bike runs great; and the seat is surprisingly comfy. I hauled it down to FL from TN in the back of my Hyundai Tucson. My grandkids wanted me to leave it. It's not easy lifting it into my SUV at my age, 70+. The specs list it's weight as 59 lbs. I'm assuming that's with the 10.4ah battery, probably a bit more with the 13.4ah battery, which weighs 8.2 lbs. The passenger seat, not including the foot pegs, weighs 2.4 lbs.
Perfect fit in my Hyundai Tucson
P1014366.JPG

Last edited:
I thought about installing a MirrCycle mirror but did not want to cut the end of the handlebar grip. I saw this video on the Haftny mirror and purchased one from Amazon.
I installed it between the throttle and the display. You have to loosen the display's screw and move the display towards the center to get enough room to install the mirror's spacer and bracket. I used the full spacer. After the mirror is installed move the display back to the left as far as it will go, position it where you like it and tighten it's screw.
The mirror does not get in the way of the throttle, brake handle, or display. As suggested in the video, take the allen wrench with you to adjust the mirror.
IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

I was going to take the bike out for a ride last night when I noticed that there was some up and down play in the front stem post, not the shocks.
P1014940.JPG

I checked the stem post screw, and even though I had tighened it during installation to 62 in-lbs with a torque wrench, it was very loose. Ride1Up had put some threadlocker on the screw but not enough.
P1014933.JPG

A member of another forum also found the same with his Portola stem screw, not enough threadlocker on it. https://ebikesforum.com/threads/ride1up-portola-thread.5915/
IMG_5782.jpeg

I applied Permatex threadlocker on the screw and re-torqued it to 62 in-lbs (7nm) with an inch-lb torque wrench and a 5mm allen socket. I'll give it a few days to set before I ride it. Hopefully that will fix it but I will be keeping an eye on it. I suggest you do the same.
P1014936.JPG

I bought my Mom one of those, I'll be doing the unboxing soon. I also use that Permatex Gel thread locker, really good stuff. The bell does come in handy around here on bike paths, one ding usually is enough and then a verbal passing on your left hopefully. Had one guy panic a few days ago and crash after one bell ding, that was a first. I've been using the FlatOut Sportsman tire sealant and so far zero flats. Highly recommended, I'm putting that stuff in my bicycles and riding lawn mower tires with great results. Supposedly it last longer than the Slime brand. Thanks for the review, good pics.

A member on another ebike forum had his Portola stolen in Colorado Springs. https://ebikesforum.com/threads/ride1up-portola-thread.5915/ The local police asked him for the serial number which unfortunately he did not record. It's location on the Portola was found by another member on that forum on the bottom under the frame latch. He asked Ride1Up if they tracked the S/N with the buyer; the answer was "no." Yes, he should have written it down, like I finally did. Ride1Up should though allow you to register your bike on their website, but I do not see anywhere on it to do that.

Last edited:
Back